browsers vs. guis

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Working with Glamour requires a slightly different mindset than when working with a generic user interface framework. Because this seems to generate confusion, I wrote down a small post that explains the differences.

http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/browsers-vs-guis

Still issues? Just shoot, and I will try my best to answer them.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Live like you mean it."

Re: [Pharo-project] browsers vs. guis

Igor Stasenko
Nice post.
Still, we want a data-flow browser + being able to control/customize UIs :)

Sure, this is veeeery hard to achieve.
But i understand that focusing at single problem and providing good
solution for it is better
than having no focus and trying to deal with everything at once and
finally fail...

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [Pharo-project] browsers vs. guis

Offray
Hi,

El sáb 28 ene 2012 17:52:38 COT, Igor Stasenko escribió:
> Nice post.
> Still, we want a data-flow browser + being able to control/customize UIs :)
> Sure, this is veeeery hard to achieve.

As a total newbie, I believe that this Igor's idea would be what one is
looking for and the question is if there is a way to do it keeping the
minimal syntax of Glamour... just wondering.

Cheers,

Offray

Re: [Pharo-project] browsers vs. guis

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Well, you can customize the UI. There are two ways:

1. Directly embed a widget from the UI framework. For example, in Morphic, you can simply embed a morph. For example, see GLMBasicExample>>starBrowser for a demo in which we embed various system browsers in a Glamour browser. Or here:
http://www.themoosebook.org/book/internals/glamour/presentations/custom

However, up to now, we mostly only use this solution for situations in which the data only arrives in the custom morph. We still need to add the ability of specifying how data should go out of the morph and into the surrounding Glamour pane so that it can be completely embedded in the overall data flow.

2. Extend Presentations with your own widget. This involves, subclassing GLMPresentation, and writing the rendering code. This requires knowledge about the inner workings on Glamour.

Cheers,
Doru

On 30 Jan 2012, at 03:59, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> Hi,
>

> El sáb 28 ene 2012 17:52:38 COT, Igor Stasenko escribió:
>> Nice post.
>> Still, we want a data-flow browser + being able to control/customize UIs :)
>> Sure, this is veeeery hard to achieve.
>
> As a total newbie, I believe that this Igor's idea would be what one is looking for and the question is if there is a way to do it keeping the minimal syntax of Glamour... just wondering.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray

www.tudorgirba.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."