classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug in debugger?

Usman Bhatti
Hello,

I have a strange error in my image that results in image start taking up system memory and crashes when it attains the max. the VM can provide on my machine (2Gb). I am working on Pharo 4.0 + Spec debugger.

After some digging in the image, I know that the error comes from an assignment operation (below in bold). And the bug only occurs when the method initialize is executed as inherited method. 
The strange part is that that it does not crash when the value assigned is slightly different e.g. "nosignature1" instead of "nosignature".

FAMIXInvocation>>initialize
super initialize.
sender := nil.
receiver := nil.
receiverSourceCode := nil.
signature := 'nosignature'.
candidates := FMMultiMultivalueLink on: self opposite: #incomingInvocations.

The crash doesn't happen when I override initialize in the subclass without sending initialize message to the superclass. So this report is about a very very specific case, but it is there. I tried to analyze further in the debugger but with announcements, etc. I wasn't able to achieve anything. 

So, if someone's interested to have a look, I can provide the image.

regards.

Usman
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bug in debugger?

Nicolai Hess-3-2

2016-09-28 14:15 GMT+02:00 Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]>:
Hello,

I have a strange error in my image that results in image start taking up system memory and crashes when it attains the max. the VM can provide on my machine (2Gb). I am working on Pharo 4.0 + Spec debugger.

After some digging in the image, I know that the error comes from an assignment operation (below in bold). And the bug only occurs when the method initialize is executed as inherited method. 
The strange part is that that it does not crash when the value assigned is slightly different e.g. "nosignature1" instead of "nosignature".

FAMIXInvocation>>initialize
super initialize.
sender := nil.
receiver := nil.
receiverSourceCode := nil.
signature := 'nosignature'.
candidates := FMMultiMultivalueLink on: self opposite: #incomingInvocations.

The crash doesn't happen when I override initialize in the subclass without sending initialize message to the superclass. So this report is about a very very specific case, but it is there. I tried to analyze further in the debugger but with announcements, etc. I wasn't able to achieve anything. 

So, if someone's interested to have a look, I can provide the image.

I am interested.

regards.

Usman