c#

Howard Oh
Some of my friend say he would rather learn c# than Smalltalk. What is c#?

Hwa Jong Oh

Re: c#

jWarrior
c# is microsoft's new cross-platform language. i think
it is still in beta. learn smalltalk and you won't have any
problems with c#.

"Hwa Jong Oh" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:96djn0$kn4k4$[hidden email]...
> Some of my friend say he would rather learn c# than Smalltalk. What is c#?
>
> Hwa Jong Oh

Re: c#

Keith Ray
In article <96e328$831$[hidden email]>, "Donald MacQueen"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> c# is microsoft's new cross-platform language. i think
> it is still in beta. learn smalltalk and you won't have any
> problems with c#.
>
> "Hwa Jong Oh" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:96djn0$kn4k4$[hidden email]...
> > Some of my friend say he would rather learn c# than Smalltalk. What is
> > c#?
> >
> > Hwa Jong Oh

I don't believe "cross-platform" was ever promised... just all Windows
platforms.

--
       <http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/resume.html>

Re: c#

Joey Gibson-2
In article <96e328$831$[hidden email]>, [hidden email] says...

||| c# is microsoft's new cross-platform language. i think
||| it is still in beta. learn smalltalk and you won't have any
||| problems with c#.

According to MS, it's not Java. But in reality, I think it is their
answer to Java. I am actually going to a .5 day dog and pony show about
it next Tuesday so I'll report back what I learn if anyone is
interested.

What I've read about it so far actually looks promising. Not the least
of which is the fact that, like ST, everything is an object. None of
this stupid primitive vs. object crap like I have to deal with every day
in Java. Other things too, but if anyone is interested, I'll summarize
when I get back.

Joey

--
-- Sun Certified Java2 Programmer
-- Political Rants: www.joeygibson.com

Re: c#

pablo digonzelli
"Joey Gibson" <[hidden email]> wrote in message

> In article <96e328$831$[hidden email]>, [hidden email] says...

> According to MS, it's not Java. But in reality, I think it is their
> answer to Java. I am actually going to a .5 day dog and pony show about
> it next Tuesday so I'll report back what I learn if anyone is
> interested.

yes I am

> What I've read about it so far actually looks promising. Not the least
> of which is the fact that, like ST, everything is an object. None of
> this stupid primitive vs. object crap like I have to deal with every day
> in Java. Other things too, but if anyone is interested, I'll summarize
> when I get back.
>
> Joey
>
> --
> -- Sun Certified Java2 Programmer
> -- Political Rants: www.joeygibson.com
> -- My Pocket Smalltalk Stuff: www.joeygibson.com/st
> --
> -- "Do you know what I am doing, Miss Kenton? I am placing my
> --  mind elsewhere while you chatter away."

Re: c#

Steve Geringer
.NET is microsoft's answer to java.  c# is a new language similar to java
but only a part
of their overall .Net strategy.

what is cool about it is that you can subclass from one language to another.
so you could subclass a c# class in smalltalk and have interoperability
between them.
a whole bunch of languages are slated and all of microsofts server products
are being readied
for this strategy.  c#, visualbasic, c++ (in safe mode), eiffel, smalltalk,
and java (being done my rational)
should all be running in VisualStudio.Net

also the "CLR" common language runtime is similar to a virtual machine
except that it handles
multiple languages which have been translated to a .net assembly type
language.  then at runtime
it uses a just in time compilation technique to run in native machine code.

funny thing is they have decided to stick with the .EXE and .DLL extensions
except internally
they are very different.  they will actually store the JIT code into the
.exe so the second time it runs
much faster.

their CLR is different from the java VM in that you can turn off all the
type checking.
i am hoping .net will breathe new life into smalltalk.

here is a link with more than you would ever want to know about it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?URL=/library/dotnet/csspec/vcl
rfcsharpspec_Start.htm

long live smalltalk !
steve geringer

"Joey Gibson" <[hidden email]> wrote in message

> In article <96e328$831$[hidden email]>, [hidden email] says...

> According to MS, it's not Java. But in reality, I think it is their
> answer to Java. I am actually going to a .5 day dog and pony show about
> it next Tuesday so I'll report back what I learn if anyone is
> interested.
>
> What I've read about it so far actually looks promising. Not the least
> of which is the fact that, like ST, everything is an object. None of
> this stupid primitive vs. object crap like I have to deal with every day
> in Java. Other things too, but if anyone is interested, I'll summarize
> when I get back.
>
> Joey
>
> --
> -- Sun Certified Java2 Programmer
> -- Political Rants: www.joeygibson.com
> -- My Pocket Smalltalk Stuff: www.joeygibson.com/st
> --
> -- "Do you know what I am doing, Miss Kenton? I am placing my
> --  mind elsewhere while you chatter away."

Re: c#

Steve Zara
Joey Gibson <[hidden email]> writes:

>In article <96e328$831$[hidden email]>, [hidden email] says...

>According to MS, it's not Java. But in reality, I think it is their
>answer to Java. I am actually going to a .5 day dog and pony show about
>it next Tuesday so I'll report back what I learn if anyone is
>interested.
>
>What I've read about it so far actually looks promising. Not the least
>of which is the fact that, like ST, everything is an object. None of
>this stupid primitive vs. object crap like I have to deal with every day
>in Java. Other things too, but if anyone is interested, I'll summarize
>when I get back.

In some ways it looks better  designed than Java, but in only minor ways.
Unless its cross platform, what is the point?  You might as well stick
with Java, and get Win32, .Net, Linux, Solaris etc.

"Steve Geringer" <[hidden email]> writes:

>their CLR is different from the java VM in that you can turn off all the
>type checking.

Just my opinion, but this is a seriously frightening idea.