call for better pop up messages and UI for them

call for better pop up messages and UI for them

Stéphane Ducasse
hi guys

I do not you but me I'm losing half of a second to read (even if I
know it by hearth) this stupid window

It would be so cool to have only two buttons because I do not
understand what is the field input and the cancel

and two buttons
        (Discard changes) (Keep changes)

I'm so stupid: I do not understand what is cancel here (of course this
is cancel the change of method
but in UI flow I do not know that I was selecting or changing - now I
get this crappy question and
I panic ....

Any taker?

Picture 3.png (7K) Download Attachment

Re: call for better pop up messages and UI for them

Stéphane Ducasse

of course I forgot this one.

        Changes have not been saved.

On Aug 19, 2009, at 11:17 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> hi guys
>
> I do not you but me I'm losing half of a second to read (even if I
> know it by hearth) this stupid window
>

> <Picture 3.png>
>

> It would be so cool to have only two buttons because I do not
> understand what is the field input and the cancel
>
> and two buttons
> (Discard changes) (Keep changes)
>
> I'm so stupid: I do not understand what is cancel here (of course
> this is cancel the change of method
> but in UI flow I do not know that I was selecting or changing - now
> I get this crappy question and
> I panic ....
>
> Any taker?
>
> Stef_______________________________________________
> Pharo-project mailing list

Picture 5.png (11K) Download Attachment

Re: call for better pop up messages and UI for them

Adrian Lienhard
yes, this old dialog is really bad from a usability point of view.

For your improved dialog, what does "Keep changes" do? If it is the
old behavior of "Cancel" then this may be a bit misleading because
nothing is saved, you just stop moving the focus away from the method.
Maybe something along the lines of "Back to modified method" would be
better?

Adrian

On Aug 19, 2009, at 23:25 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> <Picture 5.png>
>
> of course I forgot this one.
>
> Changes have not been saved.
>
> (Discard changes)     (Keep changes)
>

> On Aug 19, 2009, at 11:17 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> hi guys
>>
>> I do not you but me I'm losing half of a second to read (even if I
>> know it by hearth) this stupid window
>>

>> <Picture 3.png>
>>

>> It would be so cool to have only two buttons because I do not
>> understand what is the field input and the cancel
>>
>> and two buttons
>> (Discard changes) (Keep changes)
>>
>> I'm so stupid: I do not understand what is cancel here (of course
>> this is cancel the change of method
>> but in UI flow I do not know that I was selecting or changing - now
>> I get this crappy question and
>> I panic ....
>>
>> Any taker?
>>
>> Stef_______________________________________________
>> Pharo-project mailing list
>> [hidden email]

Re: call for better pop up messages and UI for them

Stéphane Ducasse

> yes, this old dialog is really bad from a usability point of view.
>
> For your improved dialog, what does "Keep changes" do? If it is the
> old behavior of "Cancel" then this may be a bit misleading because
> nothing is saved, you just stop moving the focus away from the method.
> Maybe something along the lines of "Back to modified method" would be
> better?

        (Discard changes) (Don't)
        (Discard changes) (Don't do anything)
        (Discard changes) (Keep original method) <- probably better

> Adrian
>
> On Aug 19, 2009, at 23:25 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> <Picture 5.png>
>>
>> of course I forgot this one.
>>
>> Changes have not been saved.
>>
>> (Discard changes)     (Keep changes)
>>

>> On Aug 19, 2009, at 11:17 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> hi guys
>>>
>>> I do not you but me I'm losing half of a second to read (even if I
>>> know it by hearth) this stupid window
>>>

>>> <Picture 3.png>
>>>

>>> It would be so cool to have only two buttons because I do not
>>> understand what is the field input and the cancel
>>>
>>> and two buttons
>>> (Discard changes) (Keep changes)
>>>
>>> I'm so stupid: I do not understand what is cancel here (of course
>>> this is cancel the change of method
>>> but in UI flow I do not know that I was selecting or changing - now
>>> I get this crappy question and
>>> I panic ....
>>>
>>> Any taker?
>>>
>>> Stef_______________________________________________
>>> Pharo-project mailing list
>>> [hidden email]

Re: call for better pop up messages and UI for them

Adrian Lienhard
Doesn't (Keep original method) imply that the old version of the
method, the one before you started editing, will be kept (which would
be the same like discarding the changes)?

Therefore, I like best:

> (Discard changes) (Don't do anything)

Or what about?

(Discard changes) (Back)

Adrian

On Aug 20, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Doesn't (Keep original method) imply that the old version of the
> method, the one before you started editing, will be kept (which would
> be the same like discarding the changes)?
>
> Therefore, I like best:
>
>> (Discard changes) (Don't do anything)
>
> Or what about?
>
> (Discard changes) (Back)

yes this one or the previous one is good.

Stef

> Adrian
>
> On Aug 20, 2009, at 09:20 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>>> yes, this old dialog is really bad from a usability point of view.
>>>
>>> For your improved dialog, what does "Keep changes" do? If it is the
>>> old behavior of "Cancel" then this may be a bit misleading because
>>> nothing is saved, you just stop moving the focus away from the
>>> method.
>>> Maybe something along the lines of "Back to modified method" would
>>> be
>>> better?
>>

>> (Discard changes) (Don't)
>> (Discard changes) (Don't do anything)
>> (Discard changes) (Keep original method) <- probably better
>>

>>> Adrian

Re: call for better pop up messages and UI for them

Lukas Renggli
Why can't it be done *exactly* the same way as it is handled in all
"reasonable" desktop applications such Apple Works or Microsoft
Office?

Do you want to accept the changes you made?
Your changes will be lost if you don't accept them.

   Don't Accept

   Cancel
   Accept

Cheers,
Lukas

2009/8/20 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> On Aug 20, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> Doesn't (Keep original method) imply that the old version of the
>> method, the one before you started editing, will be kept (which would
>> be the same like discarding the changes)?
>>
>> Therefore, I like best:
>>
>>> (Discard changes) (Don't do anything)
>>
>> Or what about?
>>
>> (Discard changes) (Back)
>

> yes this one or the previous one is good.
>
> Stef
>>
>> Adrian

>>>      (Discard changes) (Don't)
>>>      (Discard changes) (Don't do anything)
>>>      (Discard changes) (Keep original method)        <- probably better

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

confirmation.png (24K) Download Attachment
confirmation2.png (37K) Download Attachment

Re: call for better pop up messages and UI for them

Adrian Lienhard
Good point!

Adrian

On Aug 20, 2009, at 09:41 , Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Why can't it be done *exactly* the same way as it is handled in all
> "reasonable" desktop applications such Apple Works or Microsoft
> Office?
>
> Do you want to accept the changes you made?
> Your changes will be lost if you don't accept them.
>
>   Don't Accept
>
>   Cancel
>   Accept
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> 2009/8/20 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On Aug 20, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>>
>>> Doesn't (Keep original method) imply that the old version of the
>>> method, the one before you started editing, will be kept (which
>>> would
>>> be the same like discarding the changes)?
>>>
>>> Therefore, I like best:

>>> Or what about?
>>>
>>> (Discard changes) (Back)
>>

>> yes this one or the previous one is good.
>>
>> Stef
>>>
>>> Adrian

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch
> <
> confirmation
> .png
> ><confirmation2.png>_______________________________________________

Re: call for better pop up messages and UI for them

probably
we shoudl try it
for me I'm always stopped and forced to read this stuff while it
should be totally intuitive

stef

On Aug 20, 2009, at 9:41 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Why can't it be done *exactly* the same way as it is handled in all
> "reasonable" desktop applications such Apple Works or Microsoft
> Office?
>
> Do you want to accept the changes you made?
> Your changes will be lost if you don't accept them.
>
>   Don't Accept
>
>   Cancel
>   Accept
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> 2009/8/20 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On Aug 20, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>>
>>> Doesn't (Keep original method) imply that the old version of the
>>> method, the one before you started editing, will be kept (which
>>> would
>>> be the same like discarding the changes)?
>>>
>>> Therefore, I like best:

>>> Or what about?
>>>
>>> (Discard changes) (Back)
>>

>> yes this one or the previous one is good.
>>
>> Stef
>>>
>>> Adrian

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch
> <
> confirmation
> .png
> ><confirmation2.png>_______________________________________________

Re: call for better pop up messages and UI for them

Henrik Sperre Johansen
For another example, in OpenOffice style, the dialog would read:
The method "XXX" has been modified
Do you want to accept your changes?

and the three buttons used are:
- Accept  (Accept and leave)
- Discard  (Don't accept, but leave)
- Cancel   (Don't accept and stay)

Personally, I find Discard to be a better choice of words than Don't
Accept, but the ordering in the others is better, since there's less
chance of incidentally not saving your changes since Discard button is
by itself.

(Btw: the dialog in Works/Office is misleading, as you WON'T lose your
changes if you press cancel...)

Cheers,
Henry

On Aug 20, 2009, at 9:54 34AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> probably
> we shoudl try it
> for me I'm always stopped and forced to read this stuff while it
> should be totally intuitive
>
> stef
>
> On Aug 20, 2009, at 9:41 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> Why can't it be done *exactly* the same way as it is handled in all
>> "reasonable" desktop applications such Apple Works or Microsoft
>> Office?
>>
>> Do you want to accept the changes you made?
>> Your changes will be lost if you don't accept them.
>>
>>  Don't Accept
>>
>>  Cancel
>>  Accept
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lukas

>>> yes this one or the previous one is good.
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch
>> <
>> confirmation
>> .png
>>> <confirmation2.png>_______________________________________________
>> [hidden email]

Re: call for better pop up messages and UI for them

csrabak

IIUC your complaint is about the verbosity of the messages.  Will return later on.  My gripe with those two dialogs is that there should be a single one, so as quickly as possible the phenomenon you mention in your complaint ("...I know by heart...") happen to new users of Pharo.

I agree (perhaps due have been spoiled by VW) that we should have three choices: discard changes, save changes or Cancel meaning "continue editing".

OTOH a more or less verbose message could come depending upon some setting.

Em 19/08/2009 18:25, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

of course I forgot this one.

Changes have not been saved.

(Discard changes) (Keep changes)

On Aug 19, 2009, at 11:17 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> hi guys
>
> I do not you but me I'm losing half of a second to read (even if I
> know it by hearth) this stupid window
>

> It would be so cool to have only two buttons because I do not
> understand what is the field input and the cancel
>
> and two buttons
> (Discard changes) (Keep changes)
>
> I'm so stupid: I do not understand what is cancel here (of course
> this is cancel the change of method
> but in UI flow I do not know that I was selecting or changing - now
> I get this crappy question and
> I panic ....
>
> Any taker?
>
> Stef________ _______________________________________
> Pharo-project mailing list

Re: call for better pop up messages and UI for them

csrabak
Em 20/08/2009 04:20, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] >
escreveu:

>> yes, this old dialog is really bad from a usability point of
>>view.
>>
>> For your improved dialog, what does "Keep changes" do? If it is
>> the old behavior of "Cancel" then this may be a bit misleading
>> because nothing is saved, you just stop moving the focus away
>> from the method.  Maybe something along the lines of "Back to
>> modified method" would be better?
>

>(Discard changes) (Don't)
>(Discard changes) (Don't do anything)
>(Discard changes) (Keep original method) <- probably better

Yes, but for other panes you'll need to change the text, for example if you edit comments, the word "method" will not make sense...

Re: call for better pop up messages and UI for them

csrabak

Yes, and this is more on par with other Smalltalks.

2009/8/20 Stéphane Ducasse :

> On Aug 20, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> Doesn't (Keep original method) imply that the old version of the
>> method, the one before you started editing, will be kept (which would
>> be the same like discarding the changes)?
>>
>> Therefore, I like best:
>>
>>> (Discard changes) (Don't do anything)
>>
>> Or what about?
>>
>> (D iscard changes) (Back)
>

> yes this one or the previous one is good.
>
> Stef
>>
>> Adrian

>>>      (Discard changes) (Don't)
>>>      (Discard changes) (Don't do anything)
>>>      (Discard changes) (Keep original method)        <- probably better

>>>&g t;>> Any taker?

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: call for better pop up messages and UI for them

Sebastian Sastre-2
I agree.
I must add that order is relevant.
Our culture thinks progress from the left to the right.
The contrary direction means to go backwards (like not doing or undoing
something).
That's why the buttons to regret from an action are at the left and the commit
kind of buttons at the right.
And yes, that's why windows does it broken for western cultures.
To create intelligent stuff you need to know when to stop being creative.
cheers,
sebastian