cannot update metacello in rc3

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I took the RC3 dev image and I tried "ConfigurationOfMetacello
loadLatestVersion", but it fails.

I did not have time to look into this, but this is problematic :).

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: cannot update metacello in rc3

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I took the RC3 dev image and I tried "ConfigurationOfMetacello loadLatestVersion", but it fails.

Hi Tudor. I have just tasted downloading ConfigurationOfMetacello-DaleHenrichs.266
and it worked ok for me, no problem.

I did not have time to look into this, but this is problematic :).

But Dale is not magician. You should at least said what was the problem or attach PharoDebug.log ;)

Cheers

Mariano

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: cannot update metacello in rc3

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Sorry, I am a bit sick and did not express myself correctly. I just
wanted to point out the fact that loadLatestVersion crashes, which is
a bit strange. And for that, I just described the simple scenario to
reproduce it.

I did not want to say that it is impossible to load the latest
Metacello :)

Cheers,
Doru

On 24 Mar 2010, at 21:32, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I took the RC3 dev image and I tried "ConfigurationOfMetacello
> loadLatestVersion", but it fails.
>

> Hi Tudor. I have just tasted downloading ConfigurationOfMetacello-
> DaleHenrichs.266
> and it worked ok for me, no problem.
>
> I did not have time to look into this, but this is problematic :).
>

> But Dale is not magician. You should at least said what was the
> problem or attach PharoDebug.log ;)
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Sorry, I am a bit sick and did not express myself correctly. I just wanted to point out the fact that loadLatestVersion crashes, which is a bit strange. And for that, I just described the simple scenario to reproduce it.

Ufff sorry, now it was me that didn't express my self correctly (and I am not sick). I wanted to said that I downloaded ConfigurationOfMetacello-
DaleHenrichs.266  and then I evaluated: "ConfigurationOfMetacello loadLatestVersion"
and worked ok for me.

Hope you get better.

Mariano

[...]

Dale
Doru,

I was just a little bit worried when RC3 was shipped with a #development blessing for 1.0-beta.25, now I have a concrete reason to be worried.

Since 1.0-beta.25 is in #development, the latestVersion of Metacello is 1.0-beta.24.1 and thats the version that gets loaded by #loadLatestVersion...

With that said you _have_ exposed a bug in the #loadLatestVersion method:

  | project |
  project := self project.
  project updateProject.
  project latestversion load

When self project is evaluated the latestVersion is 1.0-beta.24.1. After #updateProject is performed, the latestVersion in ConfigurationOfMetacello is 1.0-beta.25.1, but since we don't refresh the project, we load 1.0-beta.24.1.

If you do "ConfigurationOfMetacello loadLatestVersion", close the walkback(s) and try "ConfigurationOfMetacello loadLatestVersion" again, you'll be updated correctly.

I've checked in a fix for #loadLatestVersion, so if you update the configuration first, then do #loadLatestVersion ... that will work also.

Nice catch and I hope that you get better,

Dale