category importer broken

Tudor Girba
Hi,

It looks like the category importer is broken. Does anyone have time to take a look?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Value is always contextual."

Re: category importer broken

Tudor Girba
I looked a bit into the problem, and the problem is generated by the changes in RPackage which now does not match sub-categpries. The behavior from RPackage is the wanted one, and thus, it is the tests that should be changed.

I fixed the problem in the MooseSqueakClassPackageImporterTest>>testCategoryImporter.

There are still 7 impacted tests in DSM. Jannik could you fix them please?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that happen. They both matter."

Re: category importer broken

simondenier

On 12 févr. 2011, at 21:09, Tudor Girba wrote:

> I looked a bit into the problem, and the problem is generated by the changes in RPackage which now does not match sub-categpries. The behavior from RPackage is the wanted one, and thus, it is the tests that should be changed.

Could you be a bit more specific about the problem.

If I remember well, the purpose of the category importer is to consider each category and subcategory as a package.

On 12 Feb 2011, at 21:17, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 12 févr. 2011, at 21:09, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> I looked a bit into the problem, and the problem is generated by the changes in RPackage which now does not match sub-categpries. The behavior from RPackage is the wanted one, and thus, it is the tests that should be changed.
>
> Could you be a bit more specific about the problem.
>
> If I remember well, the purpose of the category importer is to consider each category and subcategory as a package.

Well, the problem was that calling addFromPackageNamed: on a CategoryImporter falls back to working with the PackageImporter, because the method is not implemented in the CategoryImporter. Before, it worked fine because it looked in the package and all subcategories. Now, there aren't any classes in the root package if the package is empty and the categories are not looked up anymore, so you have to explicitly look for all the category names, or use addFromCategoriesMatching:.

I think it's fine like it is now. Actually, I think that categories should go away now that we have RPackage which matches categories one-to-one.

Cheers,
Doru

>> I fixed the problem in the MooseSqueakClassPackageImporterTest>>testCategoryImporter.
>>
>> There are still 7 impacted tests in DSM. Jannik could you fix them please?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 12 Feb 2011, at 15:12, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It looks like the category importer is broken. Does anyone have time to take a look?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Value is always contextual."
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that happen. They both matter."

> Simon Denier

www.tudorgirba.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

On 12 févr. 2011, at 21:30, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 12 Feb 2011, at 21:17, Simon Denier wrote:
>

>> On 12 févr. 2011, at 21:09, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> I looked a bit into the problem, and the problem is generated by the changes in RPackage which now does not match sub-categpries. The behavior from RPackage is the wanted one, and thus, it is the tests that should be changed.
>>
>> Could you be a bit more specific about the problem.
>>
>> If I remember well, the purpose of the category importer is to consider each category and subcategory as a package.
>
> Well, the problem was that calling addFromPackageNamed: on a CategoryImporter falls back to working with the PackageImporter, because the method is not implemented in the CategoryImporter. Before, it worked fine because it looked in the package and all subcategories. Now, there aren't any classes in the root package if the package is empty and the categories are not looked up anymore, so you have to explicitly look for all the category names, or use addFromCategoriesMatching:.
>
> I think it's fine like it is now. Actually, I think that categories should go away now that we have RPackage which matches categories one-to-one.

ok, thanks for the explanation.

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>>> I fixed the problem in the MooseSqueakClassPackageImporterTest>>testCategoryImporter.
>>>
>>> There are still 7 impacted tests in DSM. Jannik could you fix them please?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that happen. They both matter."

>> --
>> Simon Denier

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

Simon Denier

Re: category importer broken

jannik laval
Hi Doru,

Yes, I will take a look during the week.
I think that only changing the importer in DSM tests should work with RPackage.

I have a simple question: now with RPackage we do not have categories. We do not need it anymore and I think that we should remove it in next version of Moose. am I right ?

Jannik

On 13 Feb 2011, at 08:37, jannik.laval wrote:

> Hi Doru,
>
> Yes, I will take a look during the week.
> I think that only changing the importer in DSM tests should work with RPackage.

Almost. The difference is that with the category importer, you also get the root category, while in RPackage you do not. So, you would need to take a look more closely to see how you want to setup the test.

> I have a simple question: now with RPackage we do not have categories. We do not need it anymore and I think that we should remove it in next version of Moose. am I right ?

Yes.

Doru

> Jannik
>
> On Feb 12, 2011, at 21:30 , Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> Could you be a bit more specific about the problem.
>>>
>>> If I remember well, the purpose of the category importer is to consider each category and subcategory as a package.
>>
>> Well, the problem was that calling addFromPackageNamed: on a CategoryImporter falls back to working with the PackageImporter, because the method is not implemented in the CategoryImporter. Before, it worked fine because it looked in the package and all subcategories. Now, there aren't any classes in the root package if the package is empty and the categories are not looked up anymore, so you have to explicitly look for all the category names, or use addFromCategoriesMatching:.
>>
>> I think it's fine like it is now. Actually, I think that categories should go away now that we have RPackage which matches categories one-to-one.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> --
>>> Simon Denier

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every now and then stop and ask yourself if the war you're fighting is the right one."

Re: category importer broken

jannik laval
DSM is fixed,

I opened an issue for removing category importer

Jannik

On Feb 13, 2011, at 08:42 , Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 13 Feb 2011, at 08:37, jannik.laval wrote:
>
>> Hi Doru,
>>
>> Yes, I will take a look during the week.
>> I think that only changing the importer in DSM tests should work with RPackage.
>
> Almost. The difference is that with the category importer, you also get the root category, while in RPackage you do not. So, you would need to take a look more closely to see how you want to setup the test.
>
>> I have a simple question: now with RPackage we do not have categories. We do not need it anymore and I think that we should remove it in next version of Moose. am I right ?
>
> Yes.
>
> Doru
>
>> Jannik
>>
>> On Feb 12, 2011, at 21:30 , Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Well, the problem was that calling addFromPackageNamed: on a CategoryImporter falls back to working with the PackageImporter, because the method is not implemented in the CategoryImporter. Before, it worked fine because it looked in the package and all subcategories. Now, there aren't any classes in the root package if the package is empty and the categories are not looked up anymore, so you have to explicitly look for all the category names, or use addFromCategoriesMatching:.
>>>
>>> I think it's fine like it is now. Actually, I think that categories should go away now that we have RPackage which matches categories one-to-one.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every now and then stop and ask yourself if the war you're fighting is the right one."

Re: category importer broken

Tudor Girba
Thanks, Jannik.

There are still a couple of places in Moose that use the Category importer. It is not critical to remove the importer now. If someone has time in the following, we do it for 4.3. Otherwise, we push it to 4.4.

Cheers,
Doru

On 13 Feb 2011, at 10:31, jannik.laval wrote:

> DSM is fixed,
>
> I opened an issue for removing category importer
>
> Jannik
>
> On Feb 13, 2011, at 08:42 , Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> On 13 Feb 2011, at 08:37, jannik.laval wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Doru,
>>>
>>> Yes, I will take a look during the week.
>>> I think that only changing the importer in DSM tests should work with RPackage.
>>
>> Almost. The difference is that with the category importer, you also get the root category, while in RPackage you do not. So, you would need to take a look more closely to see how you want to setup the test.
>>
>>> I have a simple question: now with RPackage we do not have categories. We do not need it anymore and I think that we should remove it in next version of Moose. am I right ?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Doru
>>
>>> Jannik

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every now and then stop and ask yourself if the war you're fighting is the right one."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving should be focused on describing
the problem in a way that makes the solution obvious."