changing default font

Sebastian Sastre-2
hi there,
sorry for the noob question but I see pharo has freetype in the image but it's
only accuny font among options. Shouldn't freetype read the fonts on the system
and offer those too?
thanks,
sebastian

Re: changing default font

Sebastian Sastre-2
It suddendly started to work, I think it was SqueakFFIPrims.dll that was missing

cheers,
sebastian

Re: changing default font

Rob Rothwell
And if you get tired of setting your fonts individually, you can set them all at once:

    font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Andika Basic' pointSize: 10.
    codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Sans Mono' pointSize: 9.
    Preferences setListFontTo: font.
    Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
    Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
    Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
    Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
    font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Andika Basic' pointSize: 11.
    Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: font.

Just replace the font names with those of your choice!

Rob

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
It suddendly started to work, I think it was SqueakFFIPrims.dll that was missing

cheers,
sebastian

Re: changing default font

Sebastian Sastre-2
great script thanks!
hey Pharo project already has an official blog? I mean, I image how good this simple things would help to propagate the pharo ideavirus when posted in cool posts by a team of developers. Ideally a team of authors with a an editor (to filter possible misconceptions about pharo project policy) could do good stuff a lot more fun than manuals and FAQs.
I'm happy to see that pharo has a lot to be a winner
cheers,
sebastian

And if you get tired of setting your fonts individually, you can set them all at once:

    font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Andika Basic' pointSize: 10.
    codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Sans Mono' pointSize: 9.
    Preferences setListFontTo: font.
    Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
    Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
    Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
    Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
    font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Andika Basic' pointSize: 11.
    Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: font.

Just replace the font names with those of your choice!

Rob

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
It suddendly started to work, I think it was SqueakFFIPrims.dll that was missing

cheers,
sebastian

Re: changing default font

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi sebastian

So far we only have the web site and the code.google site.
I'm not really a blogger (I'm writing too much other stuff --- soon
you will see :).
But if somebody would like to have a blog I would happily read and
comment.

> I'm happy to see that pharo has a lot to be a winner
I can start now :)
My personal wish for pharo is not really to win but to make itself in
a clean, lean
robust new invention of Smalltalk. I stress invention here because may
be it will not
be 100% Smalltalk but a Smalltalk with better stuff: first class
variables, better MOP
who knows.
Anyway thanks for your nice words.

Stef

> great script thanks!
> hey Pharo project already has an official blog? I mean, I image how
> good this simple things would help to propagate the pharo ideavirus
> when posted in cool posts by a team of developers. Ideally a team of
> authors with a an editor (to filter possible misconceptions about
> pharo project policy) could do good stuff a lot more fun than
> manuals and FAQs.
> I'm happy to see that pharo has a lot to be a winner
> cheers,
> sebastian

Re: changing default font

Michael Rueger-6
Rob Rothwell wrote:
> And if you get tired of setting your fonts individually, you can set
> them all at once:

we should add something like that as font themes to the preferences?

Michael

>     font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Andika Basic' pointSize: 10.
>     codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Sans Mono' pointSize: 9.
>     Preferences setListFontTo: font.
>     Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
>     Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
>     Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
>     Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
>     font := LogicalFont familyName: 'Andika Basic' pointSize: 11.
>     Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: font.
>
> Just replace the font names with those of your choice!

Re: changing default font

Rob Rothwell
I kind of like the idea, but I'm not sure what the UI would look like?  Is it the option of choosing the same font for multiple purposes that is attractive?

I also do something like:

    Preferences addBooleanPreference: #ScanAtStartup categories: #(FreeType) default: false balloonHelp: 'select to rescan the font folder during startup' .

Along with:

FreeTypeFontProvider>>startUp: resuming
    Preferences ScanAtStartup ifFalse: [^self].
    resuming
        ifTrue:[
            self current updateFromSystem]

Just so I don't have to wait for it to scan my font folder during start up each time.

So...I guess I managed to figure out SOMETHING about Preferences, but I don't know how to add other UI elements like radio buttons, drop down lists, etc... which would be useful in this case.

If it is really something that you think would be useful, I'll give it a shot if anyone can point me towards some Preferences examples that would be similar, otherwise, I'll just keep loading my "Personalization" package that, upon loading, executes "Personalize fonts"!

Rob

Rob Rothwell wrote:
> I kind of like the idea, but I'm not sure what the UI would look like?
> Is it the option of choosing the same font for multiple purposes that is
> attractive?

Not necessarily just the same font name but as with the UI themes a
group of settings that work well together.
You could predefine in some script themes like "large", "small", "fixed
width", "50+" ;-) and then select them from the preference panel just
like you select the UI theme.

Michael

Re: changing default font

Rob Rothwell
Oh...I get it!

What would be nice about Fonts (unlike window appearances), is that you could EASILY define your own custom themes as well, just by saving your current settings.  Then you could save them somehow for re-use when the next version of the image came out!

Again, this would be hard for many things, but easy for fonts!

Rob

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Michael Rueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rob Rothwell wrote:
> I kind of like the idea, but I'm not sure what the UI would look like?
> Is it the option of choosing the same font for multiple purposes that is
> attractive?

Not necessarily just the same font name but as with the UI themes a
group of settings that work well together.
You could predefine in some script themes like "large", "small", "fixed
width", "50+" ;-) and then select them from the preference panel just
like you select the UI theme.

Michael

Re: changing default font

Sebastian Sastre-2
Actually I was thinking simple :)
I had in mind a well writen blog post with that script, talking how cool and fun
the environment is with those and maybe mentioning why good UI helps do better
software. Just that could be teasing about pharo to an outsider.

Of course the a blog should be for branding and well indexed (a nice sitemap
could do it).
Better branding always help and it means valuable actions that sometimes are
beyond the image ;)
best,
sebastian

Adrian Lienhard
Good idea.
We can set up a blog on the Pharo web site. Will add this to my todo
list...

Adrian

On Mar 1, 2009, at 20:32 , Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> Actually I was thinking simple :)
> I had in mind a well writen blog post with that script, talking how
> cool and fun
> the environment is with those and maybe mentioning why good UI helps
> do better
> software. Just that could be teasing about pharo to an outsider.
>
> Of course the a blog should be for branding and well indexed (a nice
> sitemap
> could do it).
> Better branding always help and it means valuable actions that
> sometimes are
> beyond the image ;)
> best,
> sebastian