charge free DLL compiler?

Howard Oh
Hi folks,

Is there a dll generatable compiler that is completely free of charge?
(Prefering Windows OS) :)

Have a good one.
Hwa Jong Oh

Re: charge free DLL compiler?

Bill Schwab
Hwa Jong,

> Is there a dll generatable compiler that is completely free of charge?
> (Prefering Windows OS) :)

I've never gone so far as to install and use it (other than on Linux), but,
my understanding is that GCC can be used on and to target Windows.  You
might want to start with

  http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/gcc.html

or

  http://gcc.gnu.org/

Please report on what you find.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: charge free DLL compiler?

Kevin McDermott
Hwa Jong Oh <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:9b9m0g$87831$[hidden email]...
> Hi folks,
>
> Is there a dll generatable compiler that is completely free of charge?
> (Prefering Windows OS) :)

Depends on your Language of choice...if it's C++ then

http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/

Is a freely downloadable version of the compiler behind Borland's C++
Builder product.

HTH

Kevin McDermott

Re: charge free DLL compiler?

Ingo Blank
Hi,

keep in mind, that Borland uses it's own OMF Library format.
Though it's not important for the DLL itself, the import libs are not
COFF (MS) compatible. That's the reason why you see sometimes two different
lib folders, MLIB and BLIB, with products that carry their import libs with
them. One for MS, one for Borland.
So if you intend to redistribute your DLLs for developers, they need the
import libs anyway. I can't recommend Borland in this case.

There are (at least) three other options, though the making of DLLs is "not
a pleasure" with them, at least with (i) and (ii). Maybe this has changed
over the last two years, but when I used them in 1998, building DLLs was a
pain and didn't even work for some "bigger" ones, that did non trivial
things. (Well a DLL based "hello world" always works ... :-)

(i) is Cygwin gcc (GNU), for UNIX style programming under Win32, see
www.cygnus.com. A fairly complete UNIXish environment under Win32, you must
decide wether this makes sense to you, when there is Linux in the world ...

(ii) is MINGW gcc, the same GNU based compiler, but using the MSCRT
libraries instead of the UNIXish cygwin.dll.

(iii) is lcc (LCC), by Jacob Navria, a native Win32 compiler.
      This you can download on some academic server (...*.edu),
      but I forgot where..., just look around.

I'm sorry to say that, but building professional C/C++ DLLs is (seems to be)
the domain of an unfree product, MSVC++ ...

Bye

Ingo

news:[hidden email]...