choosing a db to work with VisualWorks on OSX

choosing a db to work with VisualWorks on OSX

larrry
Hi,

I'm doing some VisualWorks development on a Mac and I need to chose a
database.  I'm pretty much indifferent to what database (postgres,
oracle express, mysql, etc.).  My only requirements are:

1. the database works on standard OSX (I don't have a server license).
2. it's easy to install on a Mac.  (I've only been using one for a few
weeks - compiling from the source would not be my idea of fun.)
3. it can be easily and reliably hooked up to VisualWorks
4. it's free

Any suggestions?  I could switch to Windows if i had to, but i'd really
prefer not to.

Thanks for your help.

Larry

Re: choosing a db to work with VisualWorks on OSX

Alan Knight-2
Definitely postgresql. I think I did have to compile it for the Mac, but that was quite a few versions ago, I expect there's a precompiled version by now. And it was easy, and I don't consider compiling things entertainment.

VW hookup is very easy, because it's all socket-based, so there are no C-level drivers to get confused. You have to do a bit of messing about to turn off their security settings to do complex tasks like connect from a different machine. But it's not too bad.

The PGAdmin tool is nice, but I believe Windows-only. But you can run the database on the Mac, and the admin tool from the PC.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross

Re: choosing a db to work with VisualWorks on OSX

anthony lander

On 16-Jan-06, at 12:32 PM, Larry White wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm doing some VisualWorks development on a Mac and I need to chose a
> database.  I'm pretty much indifferent to what database (postgres,
> oracle express, mysql, etc.).  My only requirements are:

If you have darwinports installed, then installing postrgresql is as
simple as:

        #port install "databases/postgresql8"

  -anthony

--
PGP key at http://anthony.etherealplanet.org
3FF8 6319 CADA 2D21 03BB 175F 3382 822A 502F AE80

Re: choosing a db to work with VisualWorks on OSX

Troy Brumley
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/

I've used earlier versions of Marc's packaging before and had no complaints.

This will lessen my already diminished "geek cred", but even though I have Fink installed, I never use it anymore.  I want to drop in the application and run.

--

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/troy/blogView