choosing extent and tranlog locations

GLASS mailing list
Hi -

With GsDevKit_home how does a person create a stone with extents, tranlogs, and the product all on different partitions?

It seems like the settings in stone.env are ignored in the createStone process.

Does the upgradeStone commands respect the user defined GEMSTONE_DATADIR and GEMSTONE_TRANLOGDIR environment variables?

I'm happy to use another approach that works too.

Thanks

Paul

Re: choosing extent and tranlog locations

GLASS mailing list
Hi Paul,

I use GsDevKit for dev and mirror the same setup in production. In production, I simply create symbolic links from the $GS_HOME/server/stones/myStone/ subdirectories to the appropriate locations. Extents, snapshots, transaction logs, backups and logs all end up on the appropriate devices.

Plus, you can simply see where everything is with a ‘ls -a’ :)

Cheers,

Jupiter

> On 29 Apr 2021, at 11:19 am, PAUL DEBRUICKER via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi -
>
> With GsDevKit_home how does a person create a stone with extents, tranlogs, and the product all on different partitions?
>
> It seems like the settings in stone.env are ignored in the createStone process.
>
> Does the upgradeStone commands respect the user defined GEMSTONE_DATADIR and GEMSTONE_TRANLOGDIR environment variables?
>
> I'm happy to use another approach that works too.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Re: choosing extent and tranlog locations

GLASS mailing list
Hi Jupiter,

Thanks

So you create everything in the default locations then stop the
stone/netldi, move the extent0.dbf and the first tranlog to where you want
them, then link the new locations to the
GsDevKit_home/server/stone/myStone/extent and tranlog directories?

Paul

GLASS mailing list wrote

Sent from: http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

Re: choosing extent and tranlog locations

GLASS mailing list
Hi Paul,

> So you create everything in the default locations then stop the
> stone/netldi, move the extent0.dbf and the first tranlog to where you want
> them, then link the new locations to the
> GsDevKit_home/server/stone/myStone/extent and tranlog directories?

That’s exactly it. If you’ve already setup systemd (or equiv) to manage launching - don’t forget to disable that too :) I’ve made that mistake and had the stone launch while I was copying things around.

There’s no messing around with environment variables, and all the default GsDevKit commands work as is.