clamato - a smalltalk dialect for javascript

clamato - a smalltalk dialect for javascript

Avi Bryant-2
I hadn't meant to announce this yet, but since it's gotten out anyway
(at Hacker News), I might as well tell the people who will be the most
interested :)  At http://clamato.net, you'll find the start of a
project we've been working on at Dabble DB in our spare time this
summer, with the aim of making all of the client-side code we have to
write more pleasant: a self-hosting compiler from (almost-)Smalltalk
to Javascript, and a system browser to go with it.  There's lots of
work left to be done, so feel free to submit patches... the code is at
http://bitbucket.org/avibryant/clamato/ .

Cheers,
Avi

jQuery - full page reload

Robert Sirois
How do I reload the entire page (like a Seaside callback) with a jQ event?

RS

Re: jQuery - full page reload

Lukas Renggli
> How do I reload the entire page (like a Seaside callback) with a jQ event?

html javascript refresh

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: clamato - a smalltalk dialect for javascript

radoslav hodnicak

this looks interesting. i'm writing a lot of javascript these days too -
does this approach introduce potential problems with memory leaks
(especially on the lesser platforms i.e. IE)? that's been my #1 issue
with javascript so far (for long running pages that update themselves
etc).

rado

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Avi Bryant wrote:

> I hadn't meant to announce this yet, but since it's gotten out anyway
> (at Hacker News), I might as well tell the people who will be the most
> interested :)  At http://clamato.net, you'll find the start of a
> project we've been working on at Dabble DB in our spare time this
> summer, with the aim of making all of the client-side code we have to
> write more pleasant: a self-hosting compiler from (almost-)Smalltalk
> to Javascript, and a system browser to go with it.  There's lots of
> work left to be done, so feel free to submit patches... the code is at
> http://bitbucket.org/avibryant/clamato/ .
>
> Cheers,
> Avi

Re: clamato - a smalltalk dialect for javascript

Avi Bryant-2
I don't think it introduces any more risk of memory leaks than was
already there.  What kinds of things were you finding caused them?

Avi

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 1:06 PM, radoslav hodnicak<[hidden email]> wrote:

> this looks interesting. i'm writing a lot of javascript these days too -
> does this approach introduce potential problems with memory leaks
> (especially on the lesser platforms i.e. IE)? that's been my #1 issue with
> javascript so far (for long running pages that update themselves etc).
>
> rado
>
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Avi Bryant wrote:
>
>> I hadn't meant to announce this yet, but since it's gotten out anyway
>> (at Hacker News), I might as well tell the people who will be the most
>> interested :)  At http://clamato.net, you'll find the start of a
>> project we've been working on at Dabble DB in our spare time this
>> summer, with the aim of making all of the client-side code we have to
>> write more pleasant: a self-hosting compiler from (almost-)Smalltalk
>> to Javascript, and a system browser to go with it.  There's lots of
>> work left to be done, so feel free to submit patches... the code is at
>> http://bitbucket.org/avibryant/clamato/ .
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Avi

Re: clamato - a smalltalk dialect for javascript

radoslav hodnicak

there seem to be many variables - interacting with DOM, closures,
frameworks (we use mootools which is nice, but adds another layer where
things can get wrong, or let you do something where you don't understand
the consequences completely). i'd say the worst part is a lack of proper
debugging tools which would let you chase references or do all the other
things smalltalkers take for granted.

rado

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009, Avi Bryant wrote:

> I don't think it introduces any more risk of memory leaks than was
> already there.  What kinds of things were you finding caused them?
>
> Avi
>
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 1:06 PM, radoslav hodnicak<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> this looks interesting. i'm writing a lot of javascript these days too -
>> does this approach introduce potential problems with memory leaks
>> (especially on the lesser platforms i.e. IE)? that's been my #1 issue with
>> javascript so far (for long running pages that update themselves etc).
>>
>> rado
>>
>> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Avi Bryant wrote:
>>
>>> I hadn't meant to announce this yet, but since it's gotten out anyway
>>> (at Hacker News), I might as well tell the people who will be the most
>>> interested :)  At http://clamato.net, you'll find the start of a
>>> project we've been working on at Dabble DB in our spare time this
>>> summer, with the aim of making all of the client-side code we have to
>>> write more pleasant: a self-hosting compiler from (almost-)Smalltalk
>>> to Javascript, and a system browser to go with it.  There's lots of
>>> work left to be done, so feel free to submit patches... the code is at
>>> http://bitbucket.org/avibryant/clamato/ .
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Avi