class comment displayed

Stéphane Ducasse
hi

I wanted to see the class comment so I selected ClassCommentOnClassSelected but
apparently OBBrowser do not change.
Is it normal? Supported?

Re: class comment displayed

Lukas Renggli
Where do I find "ClassCommentOnClassSelected"? What is it?

Lukas

On Thursday, December 3, 2009, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi
>
> I wanted to see the class comment so I selected ClassCommentOnClassSelected but
> apparently OBBrowser do not change.
> Is it normal? Supported?
>
> Stef

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: class comment displayed

Stéphane Ducasse

On Dec 3, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Where do I find "ClassCommentOnClassSelected"? What is it?

hi lukas
I hope that the trip was good.
this was to get the comment below the class definition
This is in the preferences at least on my image (rc1.0).

Stef

> Lukas
>
> On Thursday, December 3, 2009, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> I wanted to see the class comment so I selected ClassCommentOnClassSelected but
>> apparently OBBrowser do not change.
>> Is it normal? Supported?
>>
>> Stef

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: class comment displayed

Lukas Renggli
Hi Stef

> I hope that the trip was good.

Yep, just arrived home.

> this was to get the comment below the class definition
> This is in the preferences at least on my image (rc1.0).

That split class-definition/class-comment view is only available in
the ST-80 browser. I think that would be difficult to implement in OB.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: class comment displayed

Stéphane Ducasse

On Dec 3, 2009, at 5:35 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Hi Stef
>
>> I hope that the trip was good.
>
> Yep, just arrived home.

Reboot :)

>> this was to get the comment below the class definition
>> This is in the preferences at least on my image (rc1.0).
>
> That split class-definition/class-comment view is only available in
> the ST-80 browser. I think that would be difficult to implement in OB.

ok too bad because nicolas made me think that we are doing a poor job
at pushing people to write comments since nobody can easily read them.

> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: class comment displayed

Lukas Renggli
>>> I hope that the trip was good.
>>
>> Yep, just arrived home.
>
> Reboot :)

In fact, the server already worked again yesterday evening.

I had a leaflet at my door that they replace the internet cables. That
explains the outage. I am happy that I was not here, without internet
I would have gotten nervous ;-)

>>> this was to get the comment below the class definition
>>> This is in the preferences at least on my image (rc1.0).
>>
>> That split class-definition/class-comment view is only available in
>> the ST-80 browser. I think that would be difficult to implement in OB.
>
> ok too bad because nicolas made me think that we are doing a poor job
> at pushing people to write comments since nobody can easily read them.

An easy solution would be to show the class comment somehow like:

WAPainter subclass: #WAPresenter
        instanceVariableNames: ''
        classVariableNames: ''
        poolDictionaries: ''
        category: 'Seaside-Component'.

WAPresenter comment: 'WAPresenter holds the functionality that is
common to WAComponent and WADecoration. Subclasses of this class may
have state and can be stored in instance variables of other
Presenters. ...

It is a bit an ugly solution. Might have some side-effects too :-/

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: class comment displayed

Stéphane Ducasse
> In fact, the server already worked again yesterday evening.
>
> I had a leaflet at my door that they replace the internet cables. That
> explains the outage. I am happy that I was not here, without internet
> I would have gotten nervous ;-)

lol

>>> That split class-definition/class-comment view is only available in
>>> the ST-80 browser. I think that would be difficult to implement in OB.
>>
>> ok too bad because nicolas made me think that we are doing a poor job
>> at pushing people to write comments since nobody can easily read them.
>
> An easy solution would be to show the class comment somehow like:
>
> WAPainter subclass: #WAPresenter
> instanceVariableNames: ''
> classVariableNames: ''
> poolDictionaries: ''
> category: 'Seaside-Component'.
>
> WAPresenter comment: 'WAPresenter holds the functionality that is
> common to WAComponent and WADecoration. Subclasses of this class may
> have state and can be stored in instance variables of other
> Presenters. ...
>
> It is a bit an ugly solution. Might have some side-effects too :-/

we could give a try.

Re: class comment displayed

Since several years I think that we lack a tool to get really fast browsing of class comments.
May be that now that we have Momo tree we could have a tree

        ClassA
                class comment

                method  method comment

        ClassB
                class comment

                method  method comment

Alain do you have an example on how to play with Momo

Re: class comment displayed

csrabak
I would like to point out that writing comments for the class definition is
not a poor job to be done since it can very easily  be read clicking in the
'?' button of the majority of the browsers.

I dare to write that  from a quality POV we should put as an "issue" for the
release of version 1.0 that all comments in the core image must be written and
verified.

It is a little scary when one is browsing a class and finds a "THIS CLASS HAS NO COMMENT!"
or a "A ____ is xxxxxxxxx."...

BTW, an interesting behaviour (at least to my expectations) happens in the core
image (where I believe the ST-80 look for browser is the default): if you
click in a class that has a "...xxxx." in the comment the bottom pane shows the
"THIS CLASS HAS NO COMMENT!" in red.  I surmise a reasonable machinery has
been put on this pane to be able to display such message, isn't it?

--
Cesar Rabak

Em 03/12/2009 14:42, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> escreveu:

On Dec 3, 2009, at 5:35 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Hi Stef
>
>> I hope that the trip was good.
>
> Yep, just arrived home.

Reboot :)

>> this was to get the comment below the class definition
>> This is in the preferences at least on my image (rc1.0).
>
> That split class-definition/class-comment view is only available in
> the ST-80 browser. I think that would be difficult to implement in OB.

ok too bad because nicolas made me think that we are doing a poor job
at pushing people to write comments since nobody can easily read them.

> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: class comment displayed

csrabak
YES! This would facilitate the automatic checking for spelling errors and other
related items w.r.t. the text itself.

my .019999...

--
Cesar Rabak