classInstancevariableNames

pablo digonzelli
Hi, i am trying to understand the classInstanceVariableNames concept.
May be someone can help and explain me that ?. I did no found it in the
documentation.
TIA

Re: classInstancevariableNames

Ricardo Nogueira
Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

Smalltalk implements four scopes for variables:
    instance variables: scope of one instance.
    class variables: scope of a class and subclasses
    classInstance variables: scope of one class (separate "copy" for each
subclass)
    pool dictionary variables: scope of one class and it's instances (*not*
for subclasses)

In a hierarchy of classes where a parent class have classInstance variables,
each subclass will hold a "private" own variable (with the common name
defined in the parent class).

For instance, Parent may declare classInstanceVariableNames: 'default'
and each subclass of parent will define their own default value, but they
may share methods that call "self default".

Hope it helps,

Ricardo
[hidden email]

"smalltalk1" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:90iq1u$18qrd$[hidden email]...
> Hi, i am trying to understand the classInstanceVariableNames concept.
> May be someone can help and explain me that ?. I did no found it in the
> documentation.
> TIA

Re: classInstancevariableNames

Alain Fischer-3