cleaning configurations

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I spent a couple of hours cleaning configurations. It is better, but it is highly brittle. We need tools to reason about configurations. This should be a good Moose project.

Until now:
- I went through the configurations of Moose, Mondrian, Glamour, EyeSee, Fame and pointed repositories to STHub
- I cleaned the #baseline to point to #development version instead of hardcoded versions for Moose projects.
- I made #development versions point to the latest baseline. Like this we can always load #development and get the very latest of the Moose code.
- removed Shout from Glamour and Mondrian
- removed RB and RPackage from GToolkit

Still, it appears that the ConfigurationOfMondrian has some problems.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Re: cleaning configurations

stephane ducasse

On Mar 8, 2013, at 8:23 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I spent a couple of hours cleaning configurations. It is better, but it is highly brittle. We need tools to reason about configurations. This should be a good Moose project.

Cool!

> Until now:
> - I went through the configurations of Moose, Mondrian, Glamour, EyeSee, Fame and pointed repositories to STHub
> - I cleaned the #baseline to point to #development version instead of hardcoded versions for Moose projects.

is it not the inverse?
        the development should point to the baseline?

On Mar 8, 2013, at 9:12 AM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2013, at 8:23 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I spent a couple of hours cleaning configurations. It is better, but it is highly brittle. We need tools to reason about configurations. This should be a good Moose project.
>
> Cool!
>

>> Until now:
>> - I went through the configurations of Moose, Mondrian, Glamour, EyeSee, Fame and pointed repositories to STHub
>> - I cleaned the #baseline to point to #development version instead of hardcoded versions for Moose projects.
>
> is it not the inverse?
> the development should point to the baseline?

I was unclear.

In the baseline definition we should refer only to the #development versions of the subparts. For example:

ConfigurationOfMoose>>baseline48: spec
        <version: '4.8-baseline'>
        spec project: 'Glamour for Moose' with: [
                                spec
                                        className: 'ConfigurationOfGlamour';
                                        file: 'ConfigurationOfGlamour';
                                        version: #development;
                                        repository: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/Glamour/main' ].

>> - I made #development versions point to the latest baseline. Like this we can always load #development and get the very latest of the Moose code.

and, indeed we make the #development version to point to a baseline of the current configuration:

ConfigurationOfMoose>>development: spec
        <symbolicVersion: #'development'>

        spec for: #'pharo1.4.x' version: '4.7-STHub-baseline'.
        spec for: #'pharo2.x' version: '4.8-baseline'.

Like this, all projects can evolve independently and we ensure that they still integrate well on head.

Cheers,
Doru

>> - removed Shout from Glamour and Mondrian
>> - removed RB and RPackage from GToolkit
>>
>> Still, it appears that the ConfigurationOfMondrian has some problems.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: cleaning configurations

stephane ducasse
ok I agree.

> Like this, all projects can evolve independently and we ensure that they still integrate well on head.

And now either with the freezing or with the tools coming to manage configurations we should be able to snapshot the full
version on milestones.