cmdGesturesEnabled false -> no halos ?

Stéphane Rollandin
Hello,

Is it the intended behavior that turning off the preference
cmdGesturesEnabled makes it impossible to get halos ?

This is new in trunk (as of 15697). The change is in
Morph>>#handleMouseDown: where there is a new test.

If it is indeed intended, it does bother me quite a bit, as I need both
halos working and cmdGesturesEnabled set to false in my application.

(To be precise, I made some morphs respond in a specific way to
Ctrl-dragging which is made impossible if cmdGesturesEnabled is true
because then Ctrl is intercepted, again in Morph>>#handleMouseDown:)

Re: cmdGesturesEnabled false -> no halos ?

Bert Freudenberg
On 05.03.2016, at 12:11, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it the intended behavior that turning off the preference cmdGesturesEnabled makes it impossible to get halos ?

Yes, see comment in disableProgrammerFacilities.

> This is new in trunk (as of 15697). The change is in Morph>>#handleMouseDown: where there is a new test.
>
> If it is indeed intended, it does bother me quite a bit, as I need both halos working and cmdGesturesEnabled set to false in my application.
>
> (To be precise, I made some morphs respond in a specific way to Ctrl-dragging which is made impossible if cmdGesturesEnabled is true because then Ctrl is intercepted, again in Morph>>#handleMouseDown:)

Hmm, cmdGesturesEnabled seems to control lots of independent behavior. Maybe we need more fine-grained settings?

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: cmdGesturesEnabled false -> no halos ?

Karl Ramberg
Is anyone using gestures ?

Best,
Karl

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05.03.2016, at 12:11, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it the intended behavior that turning off the preference cmdGesturesEnabled makes it impossible to get halos ?

Yes, see comment in disableProgrammerFacilities.

> This is new in trunk (as of 15697). The change is in Morph>>#handleMouseDown: where there is a new test.
>
> If it is indeed intended, it does bother me quite a bit, as I need both halos working and cmdGesturesEnabled set to false in my application.
>
> (To be precise, I made some morphs respond in a specific way to Ctrl-dragging which is made impossible if cmdGesturesEnabled is true because then Ctrl is intercepted, again in Morph>>#handleMouseDown:)

Hmm, cmdGesturesEnabled seems to control lots of independent behavior. Maybe we need more fine-grained settings?

- Bert -

Re: cmdGesturesEnabled false -> no halos ?

Stéphane Rollandin
> Hmm, cmdGesturesEnabled seems to control lots of independent behavior. Maybe we need more fine-grained settings?

I would say so :)

Re: cmdGesturesEnabled false -> no halos ?

Stéphane Rollandin
> Is anyone using gestures ?

What are gestures ?

Re: cmdGesturesEnabled false -> no halos ?

Stéphane Rollandin
> Hmm, cmdGesturesEnabled seems to control lots of independent behavior. Maybe we need more fine-grained settings?

I guess the main hurdle as I see it is that halos are considered in
disableProgrammerFacilities to be part of a programmer tools, not user ones.

Maybe adding a preference saying "my app is using halos" would do it.
Then in Morph>>#handleMouseDown: we could have something like

        (anEvent blueButtonChanged
                and:[Preferences cmdGesturesEnabled
                        or: [Preferences myAppUsesHalos "tmp name"]])
        ifTrue: [^ self blueButtonDown: anEvent].

Re: cmdGesturesEnabled false -> no halos ?

Kjell Godo
i would like to use gestures to do rapid zooming

On Saturday, March 5, 2016, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is anyone using gestures ?

What are gestures ?

Re: cmdGesturesEnabled false -> no halos ?

marcel.taeumel
Hi there,

I don't consider halos as being programmer-specific only. Any application can use it. I just recently tidied up "HaloMorph" and extracted the base class "SimpleHaloMorph." This should make it really simple for applications to use any custom halo for any specific morph in an application.

Best,
Marcel

Re: cmdGesturesEnabled false -> no halos ?

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:58 AM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,

I don't consider halos as being programmer-specific only. Any application
can use it. I just recently tidied up "HaloMorph" and extracted the base
class "SimpleHaloMorph." This should make it really simple for applications
to use any custom halo for any specific morph in an application.

+1.  But then one would want to be able to filter-out the programmer-specifc ones, is this easy?  And how the interface makes it obvious to the user one can invoke halos is another issue.

But really I just want to say that occasionally in trunk halos will scroll.  I attached halos to a transcript the other day, scrolled the (rather full) contents, and the halos moved.

Best,
Marcel

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: cmdGesturesEnabled false -> no halos ?

Chris Muller-3
On Linux, if you disable the #swapMouseButtons preference, you can use
Control + Blue-button-drag on a window to change its size.  In the
apropriate app, a good gesture for zooming too.

Use without Control key to move.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Kjell Godo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i would like to use gestures to do rapid zooming
>

> On Saturday, March 5, 2016, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is anyone using gestures ?
>>

>> What are gestures ?
>>
>> Stef

Re: cmdGesturesEnabled false -> no halos ?

Stéphane Rollandin
> I don't consider halos as being programmer-specific only. Any application
> can use it. I just recently tidied up "HaloMorph" and extracted the base
> class "SimpleHaloMorph." This should make it really simple for applications
> to use any custom halo for any specific morph in an application.

Fine, so we agree on that.

Now the practical question is how to have both halos and Ctrl handling
in Morph>>#handleMouseDown: where we currently find:

        (anEvent controlKeyPressed
                        and: [anEvent blueButtonChanged not
                                and: [Preferences cmdGesturesEnabled]])
                ifTrue: [^ self invokeMetaMenu: anEvent].

So the catch here is that I need Preferences cmdGesturesEnabled to be
true in order to have halos, but per the above test this makes my morph
unable to catch a Ctrl-event.

Stef