cobol

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Do any of you know good resources for learning COBOL?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: cobol

Michele Lanza-2
Doru,
the SCG library features a bunch of books I ordered 10 years ago when we did the Bedag case study. One I would start with was named something like "Cobol in 24 hours".

Cheers

Michele

On 2011-01-18, at 8:27 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do any of you know good resources for learning COBOL?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
> you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: cobol

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
OMG, good luck, because COBOL is a pain in the ass ^^

I'm sorry but the only good resources I know about COBOL are in french :s

But if you want them, just tell it to me ;)

Ben

On Jan 18, 2011, at 8:27 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do any of you know good resources for learning COBOL?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
> you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: cobol

Tudor Girba
Hi Benjamin,

I would be interested in them.

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 Jan 2011, at 21:37, Benjamin wrote:

> OMG, good luck, because COBOL is a pain in the ass ^^
>
> I'm sorry but the only good resources I know about COBOL are in french :s
>
> But if you want them, just tell it to me ;)
>

> Ben
>
> On Jan 18, 2011, at 8:27 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do any of you know good resources for learning COBOL?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>> you will end up with a messy haircut."

www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: cobol

Tudor Girba
Thanks, Michele, I will take a look.

Doru

On 18 Jan 2011, at 20:47, Michele Lanza wrote:

> Doru,
> the SCG library features a bunch of books I ordered 10 years ago when we did the Bedag case study. One I would start with was named something like "Cobol in 24 hours".
>
> Cheers
>
> Michele
>
> On 2011-01-18, at 8:27 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do any of you know good resources for learning COBOL?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>> you will end up with a messy haircut."

www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: cobol

There is the Zinc cobol guide.

On Jan 18, 2011, at 8:27 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do any of you know good resources for learning COBOL?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
> you will end up with a messy haircut."

zingcobol.pdf (1M) Download Attachment

Re: cobol

Nicolas Anquetil

BTW, very long time ago, I took the Cobol gramar for JavaCC and actually got it to parse code (I think it was CICS Cobol), ...

It was a pain because COBOL does not exist. There are tons of different specifications (cobol-59, cobol-64, cobol-72, cobol II, Cobol++) multipied by many proprietary implementations, ...

The langage in itself is easy to read (after all, it was the goal), but a real pain to parse.

nicolas

> On 18 Jan 2011, at 20:47, Michele Lanza wrote:
>
> > Doru,
> > the SCG library features a bunch of books I ordered 10 years ago
> > when we did the Bedag case study. One I would start with was named
> > something like "Cobol in 24 hours".
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Michele
> >
> > On 2011-01-18, at 8:27 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Do any of you know good resources for learning COBOL?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru
> >>

> >> --
> >> www.tudorgirba.com
> >>
> >> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
> >> you will end up with a messy haircut."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: cobol

Stéphane Ducasse
We should ask andy kellens because they have an island grammar parser for cobol. so may be you can use that.

On Jan 19, 2011, at 8:55 AM, Nicolas Anquetil wrote:

> BTW, very long time ago, I took the Cobol gramar for JavaCC and actually got it to parse code (I think it was CICS Cobol), ...
>
> It was a pain because COBOL does not exist. There are tons of different specifications (cobol-59, cobol-64, cobol-72, cobol II, Cobol++) multipied by many proprietary implementations, ...
>
> The langage in itself is easy to read (after all, it was the goal), but a real pain to parse.
>
> nicolas

Stephan Eggermont-3

On 18 jan 2011, at 20:27, Tudor Girba wrote:
> Do any of you know good resources for learning COBOL?

I've read the OpenCobol Programmers Guide and FAQ.
They are pretty good.

Stephan