code coverage?

johnmci
Ok as I'm testing this new VM I"m wondering has anyone done a code coverage review of the Pharo
image in relationship to the suite of available tests? I wondering how much of the image side code is
actually used?

Part of the problem here in cross checking the list of internal plugins is that I need test cases to
actually exploit the plugin code so that I can confirm it works, even to confirm it gets called.

No doubt from the other side it would be interesting to see from a VM platform perspective if the
Smalltalk Sunits actually execute a reasonable set of the slang/objective-c/C code.

Re: code coverage?

Stéphane Ducasse

> Ok as I'm testing this new VM I"m wondering has anyone done a code coverage review of the Pharo
> image in relationship to the suite of available tests? I wondering how much of the image side code is
> actually used?
>
> Part of the problem here in cross checking the list of internal plugins is that I need test cases to
> actually exploit the plugin code so that I can confirm it works, even to confirm it gets called.

this would be really interesting indeed.
alex is spy working enough to see that?

> No doubt from the other side it would be interesting to see from a VM platform perspective if the
> Smalltalk Sunits actually execute a reasonable set of the slang/objective-c/C code.

Re: code coverage?

Marcus Denker-3

On Dec 3, 2009, at 7:58 AM, John McIntosh wrote:

> Ok as I'm testing this new VM I"m wondering has anyone done a code coverage review of the Pharo
> image in relationship to the suite of available tests?

So Stefan Reichart (now at cmsbox.com) did his Master on test-smell detection.
(see   http://www.jot.fm/issues/issue_2007_10/paper12/  )

Part of this work was a test-coverage tool (this used multiple backends, methodwrappers, bytesurgeon
and Persephone AST-interpratation using Philippe Marschall's work).

We should really have a look at that again... (but fist we need to get the infrastructure in shape...)

Having coverage analysis would help to clean up, too. I think a good part of the code in the image was
executed last in 1997 or so...

        Marcus

Re: code coverage?

Alexandre Bergel
>> Ok as I'm testing this new VM I"m wondering has anyone done a code
>> coverage review of the Pharo
>> image in relationship to the suite of available tests? I wondering
>> how much of the image side code is
>> actually used?
>>
>> Part of the problem here in cross checking the list of internal
>> plugins is that I need test cases to
>> actually exploit the plugin code so that I can confirm it works,
>> even to confirm it gets called.
>
> this would be really interesting indeed.
> alex is spy working enough to see that?

I used Spy on a number of projects, including Moose, Glamour,
Mondrian, Seaside, ...
But checking it on the whole image is worth trying.

Give me a couple of hours...

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: code coverage?

johnmci

On 2009-12-03, at 7:33 AM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>>> Ok as I'm testing this new VM I"m wondering has anyone done a code
>>> coverage review of the Pharo
>>> image in relationship to the suite of available tests? I wondering
>>> how much of the image side code is
>>> actually used?
>>>
>>> Part of the problem here in cross checking the list of internal
>>> plugins is that I need test cases to
>>> actually exploit the plugin code so that I can confirm it works,
>>> even to confirm it gets called.
>>
>> this would be really interesting indeed.
>> alex is spy working enough to see that?
>
> I used Spy on a number of projects, including Moose, Glamour,
> Mondrian, Seaside, ...
> But checking it on the whole image is worth trying.
>
> Give me a couple of hours...

Thank you,  allow me to give some clues about what internal plugins are in each macintosh VM (3.x, 4.x) series.

        ADPCMCodecPlugin_exports, class ADPCMCodec
        AsynchFilePlugin_exports, class AsynchFile
        B2DPlugin_exports, class BallonEngine
        BitBltPlugin_exports, class BitBlt,WarpBlt
        DSAPrims_exports, class SHA1,SecureHashAlgorithm
        FFTPlugin_exports, class FFT
        FilePlugin_exports, class FileDirectory,StandardFileStream
        FloatArrayPlugin_exports, class BallonBuffer,FloatArray,MatrixTransform2x3
        HostWindowPlugin_exports, class HostWindowProxy + subclasses
        InternetConfigPlugin_exports, class InternetConfiguration
        JoystickTabletPlugin_exports, class InputEventSensor
        JPEGReaderPlugin_exports, class JPEGReadWriter
        JPEGReadWriter2Plugin_exports, class JPEGReadWriter2
        LargeIntegers_exports, Large positive/negative number usage...
        MacMenubarPlugin_exports, class HostSystemMenus + subclasses
        Matrix2x3Plugin_exports, class MatrixTransform2x3
        MIDIPlugin_exports, class MidiPrimTester,SimpleMIDIPort
        MiscPrimitivePlugin_exports, class BitMap, ByteArray, ByteString,ByteSymbol,SampledSound
        SecurityPlugin_exports, class SecurityManager
        SerialPlugin_exports, class SerialPort
        SocketPlugin_exports, class NetNameResolver, Socket,SocketAddress
        SoundCodecPrims_exports, class GSMCodec
        SoundGenerationPlugin_exports, class FMSound,LoopedSampledSound,PluckedSound,ReverbSound,SampledSound
        SoundPlugin_exports, class SoundPlayer,SoundRecorder
        UUIDPlugin_exports, class UUID
        ZipPlugin_exports, class DeflateStream,FastInflateStream,NSAbstractDeflateStream+subclasses,ZipEncoder, ZipWriteStream

        These plugins are built in, but not used directly by Pharo 1.0-10496-rc1dev09.11.4.image

        B3DAcceleratorPlugin_exports, Requires Ballon 3d  http://www.squeaksource.com/Balloon3D.html
        Squeak3D_exports,

        BMPReadWriterPlugin_exports, Oddly the smalltalk usage of this plugin was deleted by the author.
        GeniePlugin_exports, Requires http://www.squeaksource.com/genie.html
        Klatt_exports, Requires http://www.squeaksource.com/Speech.html
        RePlugin_exports, I think this is for the http://www.squeaksource.com/Regex.html
        StarSqueakPlugin_exports, Etoys
        SurfacePlugin_exports, Internal usage and exploited by various plugins like QuickTime for Sophie
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: code coverage?

Alexandre Bergel
hi John,

I have been working on a code instrumentation mechanism that use the
"object as method" trick to get the runtime info. The "hello world" of
the test coverage of Spy could be:
1- open a workspace, and doit:
Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'Spy';
        addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfSpy';
        load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSpy) perform: #loadDefault.

2- doit:
        CoveragePackageSpy viewCoverageForPackagesMatching: 'Mondrian*'

3- after few seconds, a mondrian window will open. Pink inner boxes
methods that are not covered by unit tests. The expression above
(i)instruments all methods belonging to Mondrian, (ii) run all the
test, (iii) open a simple mondrian visualization that tells whether a
method is executed or not when running th test.

So far, it is good enough for small and controlled experiments. I
would to do the coverage for the whole image, but I need some time for
this. In 2 weeks I will be in holidays, I will therefore have time to
work on this.

I also worked on a mechanism to extract type information from SUnit
tests.
Try: (TypingPackageSpy runTestAndGatherForPackagesMatching:
'Mondrian*') viewBasic

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 3 Dec 2009, at 17:20, John M McIntosh wrote:

> [...]
>
> B3DAcceleratorPlugin_exports, Requires Ballon 3d  http://www.squeaksource.com/Balloon3D.html
> Squeak3D_exports,
>
> BMPReadWriterPlugin_exports, Oddly the smalltalk usage of this
> plugin was deleted by the author.
> GeniePlugin_exports, Requires http://www.squeaksource.com/genie.html
> Klatt_exports, Requires http://www.squeaksource.com/Speech.html
> RePlugin_exports, I think this is for the http://www.squeaksource.com/Regex.html
> StarSqueakPlugin_exports, Etoys
> SurfacePlugin_exports, Internal usage and exploited by various
> plugins like QuickTime for Sophie
> --
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:

does your spy support spy itself or detect that and does not spy dangerous
guys.

Stef

On Dec 3, 2009, at 10:57 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> B3DAcceleratorPlugin_exports, Requires Ballon 3d  http://www.squeaksource.com/Balloon3D.html
>> Squeak3D_exports,
>>
>> BMPReadWriterPlugin_exports, Oddly the smalltalk usage of this
>> plugin was deleted by the author.
>> GeniePlugin_exports, Requires http://www.squeaksource.com/genie.html
>> Klatt_exports, Requires http://www.squeaksource.com/Speech.html
>> RePlugin_exports, I think this is for the http://www.squeaksource.com/Regex.html
>> StarSqueakPlugin_exports, Etoys
>> SurfacePlugin_exports, Internal usage and exploited by various
>> plugins like QuickTime for Sophie
>> --
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:

Re: code coverage?

Alexandre Bergel
> does your spy support spy itself or detect that and does not spy
> dangerous
> guys.

So far no.
I would love to have Reflectivity for this...

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Dec 3, 2009, at 11:18 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> does your spy support spy itself or detect that and does not spy
>> dangerous
>> guys.
>
> So far no.
> I would love to have Reflectivity for this...

Yes, will be available, uhm, at some point...

        Marcus

Re: code coverage?

Alexandre Bergel
>>> does your spy support spy itself or detect that and does not spy
>>> dangerous
>>> guys.
>>
>> So far no.
>> I would love to have Reflectivity for this...
>>

> Yes, will be available, uhm, at some point...

Let us know, I would love to give a try