cog vm

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Is there anybody using the Cog VM on a regular basis?

I am using it for most of my development, and it now works quite well
(except for the methods as objects issue). It would be interesting to
collect problem reports.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: [Moose-dev] cog vm

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is there anybody using the Cog VM on a regular basis?

I am using it for most of my development, and it now works quite well (except for the methods as objects issue). It would be interesting to collect problem reports.

Hi Doru, what about creating a one click image or at least a Moose 4.1 image ready for CogVM. I mean, CogVM image requiered changes were not integrated in Pharo 1.1, but in 1.2 as I understand. Thus, I guess people should integrate those things. Maybe provinging a one click Moose 4.1 CogVM would help. I wanted to do that for phaor but I didn't have time :(

Cheers,
Doru

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is there anybody using the Cog VM on a regular basis?

I am using it for most of my development, and it now works quite well (except for the methods as objects issue). It would be interesting to collect problem reports.

Hi Doru, what about creating a one click image or at least a Moose 4.1 image ready for CogVM. I mean, CogVM image requiered changes were not integrated in Pharo 1.1, but in 1.2 as I understand. Thus, I guess people should integrate those things. Maybe provinging a one click Moose 4.1 CogVM would help. I wanted to do that for phaor but I didn't have time :(

and you have to also save the image and open it agian I think.....

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: [Moose-dev] cog vm

Mariano Martinez Peck
I din't know why I don't send everything in the same email hahahaha sorry...

I forgot to say that Eliot said:

"
For folks' convenience I've just put up some unofficial builds (essentially the same builds I use for testing) under http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM

"

[...]

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: cog vm

Tudor Girba
Hi Mariano,

I announced before that we have both Moose and Moose with Seaside
images for Cog:
http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev-for-cog/
http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-with-glamour-seaside-for-cog/

Cheers,
Doru

On 23 Aug 2010, at 16:18, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> I din't know why I don't send everything in the same email hahahaha
> sorry...
>
> I forgot to say that Eliot said:
>
> "
> For folks' convenience I've just put up some unofficial builds
> (essentially the same builds I use for testing) under http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM
>
> "
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there anybody using the Cog VM on a regular basis?
>
> I am using it for most of my development, and it now works quite
> well (except for the methods as objects issue). It would be
> interesting to collect problem reports.
>

> Hi Doru, what about creating a one click image or at least a Moose
> 4.1 image ready for CogVM. I mean, CogVM image requiered changes
> were not integrated in Pharo 1.1, but in 1.2 as I understand. Thus,
> I guess people should integrate those things. Maybe provinging a one
> click Moose 4.1 CogVM would help. I wanted to do that for phaor but
> I didn't have time :(
>

> and you have to also save the image and open it agian I think.....
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

www.tudorgirba.com

"There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: cog vm

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

I announced before that we have both Moose and Moose with Seaside images for Cog:
http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev-for-cog/
http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-with-glamour-seaside-for-cog/

Hi Doru, I missed your announcment. But this is AWESOME!!!

thanks a lot :)

ps: it is a pity that the things i am doing right now with moose requires a customized VM (so far in normal vm...)  :(
maybe I can try to do my changes in Cog and build it...we will see.

[...]

Re: cog vm

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Doru,

First, do some marketing<g>: how much faster is it?

Second, the fine print =:0   If I load an image and save it using Cog, it is a Cog-only thing from that point onward, correct?  I then later, perhaps on a different machine try to load this cog image into a non-cog vm - it's not going to work, right?  What signs would there be?

Is there a Cog testing page?

Bill

Re: cog vm

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On Aug 23, 2010, at 5:08 22PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Doru,
>
> First, do some marketing<g>: how much faster is it?
On average, quite a bit :P Depends from test to test though

> Second, the fine print =:0   If I load an image and save it using Cog, it is a Cog-only thing from that point onward, correct?
yes
>  I then later, perhaps on a different machine try to load this cog image into a non-cog vm - it's not going to work, right?
no
> What signs would there be?
"cannot read image format"- error message or some such

> Is there a Cog testing page?
?

Cheers,
Henry

Re testing, I suggest a link from the Pharo web site to whatever you want us to try; search results can easily turn up something out of date or incomplete.  The link should carry a warning about it being a one-way trip for the image that gets converted.

Bill

?

Cheers,
Henry

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there anybody using the Cog VM on a regular basis?

We deployed our first Squeak app running on Cog on July 30. Since then we
deployed two other apps. No (real) problems so far.

Levente

> I am using it for most of my development, and it now works quite well (except
> for the methods as objects issue). It would be interesting to collect problem
> reports.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: cog vm

Gary Chambers-4
Must give it a go... could really help MBagger (slow Atom processor).

Regards, Gary

>> Is there anybody using the Cog VM on a regular basis?
>
> We deployed our first Squeak app running on Cog on July 30. Since then we
> deployed two other apps. No (real) problems so far.
>

> Levente
>

>> I am using it for most of my development, and it now works quite well
>> (except for the methods as objects issue). It would be interesting to
>> collect problem reports.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: cog vm

can you tell us a bit more on this applications?

Stef

On Aug 23, 2010, at 5:32 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there anybody using the Cog VM on a regular basis?
>
> We deployed our first Squeak app running on Cog on July 30. Since then we deployed two other apps. No (real) problems so far.
>

> Levente
>

>> I am using it for most of my development, and it now works quite well (except for the methods as objects issue). It would be interesting to collect problem reports.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: cog vm

Philippe Marschall-2
On 08/23/2010 04:09 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there anybody using the Cog VM on a regular basis?
>
> I am using it for most of my development, and it now works quite well
> (except for the methods as objects issue). It would be interesting to
> collect problem reports.

I switched my Seaside development to Cog a few days ago. No problems so
far *crosses fingers*.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: cog vm

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> can you tell us a bit more on this applications?

These apps use Squeak trunk images (updated regularly, but manually) with
Seaside 3.0 (some with Comet), WebClient, SqueakSSL, OSProcess, PostgresV3.
These are not mission critical apps (a few minutes downtime is
acceptable), but they are running 24/7. Before WebClient+SqueakSSL we
used Curl, but the plugin was leaking memory, so the images had to be
restarted regularly. Curl was also significantly slower.

Levente

> Stef
>
> On Aug 23, 2010, at 5:32 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there anybody using the Cog VM on a regular basis?
>>
>> We deployed our first Squeak app running on Cog on July 30. Since then we deployed two other apps. No (real) problems so far.
>>

>> Levente
>>

>>> I am using it for most of my development, and it now works quite well (except for the methods as objects issue). It would be interesting to collect problem reports.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: cog vm

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 24 Aug 2010, at 11:42, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> These apps use Squeak trunk images (updated regularly, but manually) with Seaside 3.0 (some with Comet), WebClient, SqueakSSL, OSProcess, PostgresV3.

Is PostgresV3 production ready, last time I checked it seemed like it was not ready vs the older PostgresV2. I must have missed its progress (no pun intended).

Is there some writeup about this package somewhere ?

Thx,

Sven

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: cog vm

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

I announced before that we have both Moose and Moose with Seaside images for Cog:
http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev-for-cog/
http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-with-glamour-seaside-for-cog/

Doru...do you have to do something else in the image side for Cog than what Lukas did some time ago?
I mean...what did you have to change in Pharo 1.1 so that to use CogVM?

[...]

These images just take the corresponding regular image (based on pharo
1.1) and apply the change set produced by Lukas. I attached the
changeset here for convenience.

Cheers,
Doru

On 24 Aug 2010, at 15:52, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Hi Mariano,
>
> I announced before that we have both Moose and Moose with Seaside
> images for Cog:
> http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev-for-cog/
> http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-with-glamour-seaside-for-cog/
>

> Doru...do you have to do something else in the image side for Cog
> than what Lukas did some time ago?
> I mean...what did you have to change in Pharo 1.1 so that to use
> CogVM?
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 23 Aug 2010, at 16:18, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> I din't know why I don't send everything in the same email hahahaha
> sorry...
>
> I forgot to say that Eliot said:
>
> "
> For folks' convenience I've just put up some unofficial builds
> (essentially the same builds I use for testing) under http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM
>
> "
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there anybody using the Cog VM on a regular basis?
>
> I am using it for most of my development, and it now works quite
> well (except for the methods as objects issue). It would be
> interesting to collect problem reports.
>

> Hi Doru, what about creating a one click image or at least a Moose
> 4.1 image ready for CogVM. I mean, CogVM image requiered changes
> were not integrated in Pharo 1.1, but in 1.2 as I understand. Thus,
> I guess people should integrate those things. Maybe provinging a one
> click Moose 4.1 CogVM would help. I wanted to do that for phaor but
> I didn't have time :(
>

> and you have to also save the image and open it agian I think.....
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

NecessaryImageChangesForCogToWork.Pharo1.1.cs (10K) Download Attachment

Re: cog vm

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 24 Aug 2010, at 11:42, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> These apps use Squeak trunk images (updated regularly, but manually) with Seaside 3.0 (some with Comet), WebClient, SqueakSSL, OSProcess, PostgresV3.
>
> Is PostgresV3 production ready, last time I checked it seemed like it was not ready vs the older PostgresV2. I must have missed its progress (no pun intended).

We're using it in production for a year now (instead of PostgresV2), so
it's production ready from our POV. But it's not ready for others, because
it's short on documentation (especially user documentation) and it mostly
implements stuff we need(ed). That's why there was no announcement about
it yet.

> Is there some writeup about this package somewhere ?

No, there's none, but in short:
The package consists of a 3 "APIs". The lowest level API is the
PG3Connection. This works pretty much like PostgresV2, though some method
names are different, but if you know how to use PostgresV2, then you will
find out in 5 minutes how to use this. A higher level API is the
PG3ConnectionPool which implements a simple connection pool. It's fairly
easy to use the pool too. In 10 minutes one can set up a pool for a db
without docs. The highest level API (in the public repository) is the
PG3FunctionClient which allows you to call Postgres functions which return
a refcursor. Most of our apps use this API to communicate with the DB. In
our private repo we implemented a new high level API, which allows one to
edit the Postgres functions in the Browser, fix bugs in the Debugger,
version them with Monticello, etc. It also allows one to call "normal"
functions which don't return a refcursor. Since the package is getting
fat, we are at the point where we have to split it. When we're done with
that, we'll push it to the public repo.
So feel free to experiment with it and if you need a feature or found a
bug, let us know.

Levente

> Thx,
>
> Sven

Re: cog vm

Stéphane Ducasse
BTW levente what is your company?

Atef

On Aug 25, 2010, at 2:05 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>

>> On 24 Aug 2010, at 11:42, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>>
>>> These apps use Squeak trunk images (updated regularly, but manually) with Seaside 3.0 (some with Comet), WebClient, SqueakSSL, OSProcess, PostgresV3.
>>
>> Is PostgresV3 production ready, last time I checked it seemed like it was not ready vs the older PostgresV2. I must have missed its progress (no pun intended).
>
> We're using it in production for a year now (instead of PostgresV2), so it's production ready from our POV. But it's not ready for others, because it's short on documentation (especially user documentation) and it mostly implements stuff we need(ed). That's why there was no announcement about it yet.
>

>> Is there some writeup about this package somewhere ?
>>

> No, there's none, but in short:
> The package consists of a 3 "APIs". The lowest level API is the PG3Connection. This works pretty much like PostgresV2, though some method names are different, but if you know how to use PostgresV2, then you will find out in 5 minutes how to use this. A higher level API is the PG3ConnectionPool which implements a simple connection pool. It's fairly easy to use the pool too. In 10 minutes one can set up a pool for a db without docs. The highest level API (in the public repository) is the PG3FunctionClient which allows you to call Postgres functions which return a refcursor. Most of our apps use this API to communicate with the DB. In our private repo we implemented a new high level API, which allows one to edit the Postgres functions in the Browser, fix bugs in the Debugger, version them with Monticello, etc. It also allows one to call "normal" functions which don't return a refcursor. Since the package is getting fat, we are at the point where we have to split it. When we're done with that, we'll push it to the public repo.
> So feel free to experiment with it and if you need a feature or found a bug, let us know.
>

> Levente
>
>> Thx,
>>
>> Sven

Re: cog vm

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 25 Aug 2010, at 02:05, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> No, there's none, but in short:
> The package consists of a 3 "APIs". The lowest level API is the PG3Connection. This works pretty much like PostgresV2, though some method names are different, but if you know how to use PostgresV2, then you will find out in 5 minutes how to use this. A higher level API is the PG3ConnectionPool which implements a simple connection pool. It's fairly easy to use the pool too. In 10 minutes one can set up a pool for a db without docs. The highest level API (in the public repository) is the PG3FunctionClient which allows you to call Postgres functions which return a refcursor. Most of our apps use this API to communicate with the DB. In our private repo we implemented a new high level API, which allows one to edit the Postgres functions in the Browser, fix bugs in the Debugger, version them with Monticello, etc. It also allows one to call "normal" functions which don't return a refcursor. Since the package is getting fat, we are at the point where we have to split it. When we're done with that, we'll push it to the public repo.
> So feel free to experiment with it and if you need a feature or found a bug, let us know.

OK, thanks for the update.
I am mostly interested in plugging it under Glorp, I guess PG3Connect will do then.
It is not high on my list, but I might get to it one day.

Sven