cogwin/Croquet (Win7) + Moose + very large models = crash (out of Memory)

cogwin/Croquet (Win7) + Moose + very large models = crash (out of Memory)

Hani Abdeen

Hello,

I'm using cogwin/Croquet VM (last version http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2522/) on windows7,
and today I had this probelm: when the size of the pharo image become so large the VM crashes with reason 'out of memory'.
The same problem with previous versions of cogwin.
Note that I use a PC with 8G of RAM, so it's really damage to have such a problem.

Any idea about another VM working well on Windows and does not have such an issues?
Any urgent solution?

Thanks,
Hani

Re: cogwin/Croquet (Win7) + Moose + very large models = crash (out of Memory)

Paul DeBruicker
Hani Abdeen wrote
Hello,

I'm using cogwin/Croquet VM (last version
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2522/) on windows7,
and today I had this probelm: when the size of the pharo image become so
large the VM crashes with reason 'out of memory'.
The same problem with previous versions of cogwin.
Note that I use a PC with 8G of RAM, so it's really damage to have such a
problem.

Any idea about another VM working well on Windows and does not have such an
issues?
Any urgent solution?

Thanks,
Hani
From this thread:
http://forum.world.st/experience-with-large-images-td4101765.html

It seems that on windows the size of the image by default is limited to 500MB in RAM.  I don't know if you can change it or not.  Linux/Mac is limited to 2GB.  Can you try your experiments on a Mac?

Re: cogwin/Croquet (Win7) + Moose + very large models = crash (out of Memory)

Hani Abdeen

On 25 January 2012 23:05, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hani Abdeen wrote

> Hello,
>
> I'm using cogwin/Croquet VM (last version
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2522/) on windows7,
> and today I had this probelm: when the size of the pharo image become so
> large the VM crashes with reason 'out of memory'.
> The same problem with previous versions of cogwin.
> Note that I use a PC with 8G of RAM, so it's really damage to have such a
> problem.
>
> Any idea about another VM working well on Windows and does not have such
> an
> issues?
> Any urgent solution?
>
> Thanks,
> Hani

From this thread:
http://forum.world.st/experience-with-large-images-td4101765.html

It seems that on windows the size of the image by default is limited to
500MB in RAM.  I don't know if you can change it or not.  Linux/Mac is
limited to 2GB.  Can you try your experiments on a Mac?

Unfortunately no, I've not Mac, and the company for which I'll use Moose on their software, Tomorrow morning :(, do not use Mac.

Re: cogwin/Croquet (Win7) + Moose + very large models = crash (out of Memory)

Hani Abdeen
Hi,

On 25 January 2012 23:12, Hani Abdeen <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 25 January 2012 23:05, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hani Abdeen wrote

> Hello,
>
> I'm using cogwin/Croquet VM (last version
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2522/) on windows7,
> and today I had this probelm: when the size of the pharo image become so
> large the VM crashes with reason 'out of memory'.
> The same problem with previous versions of cogwin.
> Note that I use a PC with 8G of RAM, so it's really damage to have such a
> problem.
>
> Any idea about another VM working well on Windows and does not have such
> an
> issues?
> Any urgent solution?
>
> Thanks,
> Hani

From this thread:
http://forum.world.st/experience-with-large-images-td4101765.html

It seems that on windows the size of the image by default is limited to
500MB in RAM.  I don't know if you can change it or not.  Linux/Mac is
limited to 2GB.  Can you try your experiments on a Mac?

 >> Unfortunately no, I've not Mac, and the company for which I'll use Moose on their software, Tomorrow morning :(, do not use Mac.

Re: cogwin/Croquet (Win7) + Moose + very large models = crash (out of Memory)

Mariano Martinez Peck
I think Igor fixed that for the Windows VM, but such changes were not integerated in Eliot VMs, but rather in the branch of Git.
But since the Jenkins is not building Windows VM, I have no idea where you can get such a VM.

Cheers

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:12 PM, Hani Abdeen <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 25 January 2012 23:05, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hani Abdeen wrote

> Hello,
>
> I'm using cogwin/Croquet VM (last version
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2522/) on windows7,
> and today I had this probelm: when the size of the pharo image become so
> large the VM crashes with reason 'out of memory'.
> The same problem with previous versions of cogwin.
> Note that I use a PC with 8G of RAM, so it's really damage to have such a
> problem.
>
> Any idea about another VM working well on Windows and does not have such
> an
> issues?
> Any urgent solution?
>
> Thanks,
> Hani

From this thread:
http://forum.world.st/experience-with-large-images-td4101765.html

It seems that on windows the size of the image by default is limited to
500MB in RAM.  I don't know if you can change it or not.  Linux/Mac is
limited to 2GB.  Can you try your experiments on a Mac?

Unfortunately no, I've not Mac, and the company for which I'll use Moose on their software, Tomorrow morning :(, do not use Mac.

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: cogwin/Croquet (Win7) + Moose + very large models = crash (out of Memory)

Paul DeBruicker
Hani Abdeen wrote
On 25 January 2012 23:05, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hani Abdeen wrote
> >

> It seems that on windows the size of the image by default is limited to
> 500MB in RAM.  I don't know if you can change it or not.  Linux/Mac is
> limited to 2GB.  Can you try your experiments on a Mac?

Unfortunately no, I've not Mac, and the company for which I'll use Moose on
their software, Tomorrow morning :(, do not use Mac.

Can you run virtualbox on your windows machine?  I have a 32 bit debian linux (vers 6.0.3) virtual disk image (2.5GB RAM, 8GB disk) you coudl use that would let you hit the limit of what Pharo 32 bit can work with.

Re: cogwin/Croquet (Win7) + Moose + very large models = crash (out of Memory)

why jenkins is not building the vm windows?

Stef

On Jan 25, 2012, at 11:18 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> I think Igor fixed that for the Windows VM, but such changes were not integerated in Eliot VMs, but rather in the branch of Git.
> But since the Jenkins is not building Windows VM, I have no idea where you can get such a VM.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:12 PM, Hani Abdeen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 25 January 2012 23:05, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hani Abdeen wrote
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using cogwin/Croquet VM (last version
> > http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2522/) on windows7,
> > and today I had this probelm: when the size of the pharo image become so
> > large the VM crashes with reason 'out of memory'.
> > The same problem with previous versions of cogwin.
> > Note that I use a PC with 8G of RAM, so it's really damage to have such a
> > problem.
> >
> > Any idea about another VM working well on Windows and does not have such
> > an
> > issues?
> > Any urgent solution?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Hani
> >

> From this thread:
> http://forum.world.st/experience-with-large-images-td4101765.html
>
> It seems that on windows the size of the image by default is limited to
> 500MB in RAM.  I don't know if you can change it or not.  Linux/Mac is
> limited to 2GB.  Can you try your experiments on a Mac?
>
> Unfortunately no, I've not Mac, and the company for which I'll use Moose on their software, Tomorrow morning :(, do not use Mac.

> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: cogwin/Croquet (Win7) + Moose + very large models = crash (out of Memory)

Hani

first import less information for your demo. You probably do not need this and local argument.

stef

> Hani Abdeen wrote
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using cogwin/Croquet VM (last version
> > http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2522/) on windows7,
> > and today I had this probelm: when the size of the pharo image become so
> > large the VM crashes with reason 'out of memory'.
> > The same problem with previous versions of cogwin.
> > Note that I use a PC with 8G of RAM, so it's really damage to have such a
> > problem.
> >
> > Any idea about another VM working well on Windows and does not have such
> > an
> > issues?
> > Any urgent solution?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Hani
> >

> From this thread:
> http://forum.world.st/experience-with-large-images-td4101765.html
>
> It seems that on windows the size of the image by default is limited to
> 500MB in RAM.  I don't know if you can change it or not.  Linux/Mac is
> limited to 2GB.  Can you try your experiments on a Mac?
>
> Unfortunately no, I've not Mac, and the company for which I'll use Moose on their software, Tomorrow morning :(, do not use Mac.

Re: cogwin/Croquet (Win7) + Moose + very large models = crash (out of Memory)

Hani Abdeen
Hi Stef,

On 26 January 2012 10:05, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hani

first import less information for your demo. You probably do not need this and local argument.

yes I think so,
I've also a pre loaded demo java model to demonstrate it
Guillermo told me that he just compiled a VM for windows and he can send it to me to try. may be he did not read my email yet.
I'll also see if they have a Linux machine on which we can on the image usign Pharo VM.

Thanks
Hani

stef

> Hani Abdeen wrote
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using cogwin/Croquet VM (last version
> > http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2522/) on windows7,
> > and today I had this probelm: when the size of the pharo image become so
> > large the VM crashes with reason 'out of memory'.
> > The same problem with previous versions of cogwin.
> > Note that I use a PC with 8G of RAM, so it's really damage to have such a
> > problem.
> >
> > Any idea about another VM working well on Windows and does not have such
> > an
> > issues?
> > Any urgent solution?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Hani
> >

> From this thread:
> http://forum.world.st/experience-with-large-images-td4101765.html
>
> It seems that on windows the size of the image by default is limited to
> 500MB in RAM.  I don't know if you can change it or not.  Linux/Mac is
> limited to 2GB.  Can you try your experiments on a Mac?
>
> Unfortunately no, I've not Mac, and the company for which I'll use Moose on their software, Tomorrow morning :(, do not use Mac.

Re: cogwin/Croquet (Win7) + Moose + very large models = crash (out of Memory)

Igor Stasenko
On 25 January 2012 23:18, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think Igor fixed that for the Windows VM, but such changes were not
> integerated in Eliot VMs, but rather in the branch of Git.
> But since the Jenkins is not building Windows VM, I have no idea where you
> can get such a VM.

No, changes are there. But they are not "fixing" the hard limit which
is still 512M.
They only fixing a strange issue with growing image close to that
limit (so 400M (and even less size) images was crashing before even
reaching a limit).
This is because of miscalculation between requested space and
available space, after memory growth.

> Cheers
>

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:12 PM, Hani Abdeen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 25 January 2012 23:05, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hani Abdeen wrote

>>> From this thread:
>>> http://forum.world.st/experience-with-large-images-td4101765.html
>>>
>>> It seems that on windows the size of the image by default is limited to
>>> 500MB in RAM.  I don't know if you can change it or not.  Linux/Mac is
>>> limited to 2GB.  Can you try your experiments on a Mac?
>>

>> Unfortunately no, I've not Mac, and the company for which I'll use Moose
>> on their software, Tomorrow morning :(, do not use Mac.
>>

>>> --

> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: cogwin/Croquet (Win7) + Moose + very large models = crash (out of Memory)

Eliot Miranda-2
Well, the define in sqWin32Alloc.h reads

#ifndef MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY
#define MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY 512*1024*1024
#endif

(albeit guarded by #ifndef NO_VIRTUAL_MEMORY)

so I tried to redefine it in the makefile:

VM_DEF=-D'MAX_VIRTUAL_MEMORY=(2*1024*1024*1024)'

DEFS:=  $(COGDEFS) $(WINVER) $(VM_DEF) -DWIN32 -DWIN32_FILE_SUPPORT -DNO_ISNAN \
        -DNO_SERVICE -DNO_STD_FILE_SUPPORT \
        $(NDEBUG) -DLSB_FIRST -D'VM_NAME="$(VM_NAME)"' -DX86 $(XDEFS) $(CROQUET)

But the resulting VM still wouldn't allocate more than 512M, so it is more complex than I hoped :)

Andreas, if it is a simple job, do you know what's required to experiment with raising the limit on WIndows?

Eliot