commands and value links

NorbertHartl
I'm trying to create a value link that can display a single command inside a document. But I struggled to create a proper link for the command. This seems only possible if you have a pier context and renderer at the same time which is not really the case as long as you are staying inside PRValueLink.

The only solution I could come up with is the following:

PRValueLink>>commandIn: aContext
        <value: 'command' comment: 'Display command as link'>
        (PRCommand withAllConcreteClasses
                detect: [ :each | each label = (self parameterAt: 'label' ) ]
                ifNone: [ ^ nil ])
                        ifNotNilDo: [ :commandClass |
                                ^ [ :html |
                                        html anchor
                                                goto: (aContext command: commandClass new);
                                                with: commandClass label]].
        ^ nil

I have the impression there might be a solution without using a block. Any ideas? Or is it ok the way it is?

thanks,

Norbert

Re: commands and value links

Lukas Renggli
Actually this is already implemented, for example:

     *value:structure|link|command=Remove*

Also works with all other value-links that list or return structures,
e.g. children, references, parent, previous, random, siblings, find,

Lukas

On 8 October 2010 11:27, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to create a value link that can display a single command inside a document. But I struggled to create a proper link for the command. This seems only possible if you have a pier context and renderer at the same time which is not really the case as long as you are staying inside PRValueLink.
>
> The only solution I could come up with is the following:
>
> PRValueLink>>commandIn: aContext
>        <value: 'command' comment: 'Display command as link'>
>        (PRCommand withAllConcreteClasses
>                detect: [ :each | each label = (self parameterAt: 'label' ) ]
>                ifNone: [ ^ nil ])
>                        ifNotNilDo: [ :commandClass |
>                                ^ [ :html |
>                                        html anchor
>                                                goto: (aContext command: commandClass new);
>                                                with: commandClass label]].
>        ^ nil
>
> I have the impression there might be a solution without using a block. Any ideas? Or is it ok the way it is?
>
> thanks,
>
> Norbert

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: commands and value links

Lukas Renggli
And in fact you don't need to use a value link for triggering a
command, a normal link with the command parameter is enough:

   */some/page/to/edit|command=Edit*

Note that in both cases this goes through the security system.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: commands and value links

NorbertHartl

On 08.10.2010, at 11:38, Lukas Renggli wrote:

And in fact you don't need to use a value link for triggering a
command, a normal link with the command parameter is enough:

  */some/page/to/edit|command=Edit*

Note that in both cases this goes through the security system.

Ok, everytime I think I have a useful idea it is already there and better implemented :) It is nice that I can do it either one or the other way. But the link text is always the title of the target structure. I need the link label to be displayed. In the second approach can do it manually with *Label>/some...* (does not work with the first approach *Label>value:...*. Is there a way to display the link label?

thanks,

norbert

On 8 October 2010 11:36, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually this is already implemented, for example:

    *value:structure|link|command=Remove*

Also works with all other value-links that list or return structures,
e.g. children, references, parent, previous, random, siblings, find,

Lukas

On 8 October 2010 11:27, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to create a value link that can display a single command inside a document. But I struggled to create a proper link for the command. This seems only possible if you have a pier context and renderer at the same time which is not really the case as long as you are staying inside PRValueLink.

The only solution I could come up with is the following:

PRValueLink>>commandIn: aContext
       <value: 'command' comment: 'Display command as link'>
       (PRCommand withAllConcreteClasses
               detect: [ :each | each label = (self parameterAt: 'label' ) ]
               ifNone: [ ^ nil ])
                       ifNotNilDo: [ :commandClass |
                               ^ [ :html |
                                       html anchor
                                               goto: (aContext command: commandClass new);
                                               with: commandClass label]].
       ^ nil

I have the impression there might be a solution without using a block. Any ideas? Or is it ok the way it is?

thanks,

Norbert

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: commands and value links

Lukas Renggli
> label to be displayed. In the second approach can do it manually with
> *Label>/some...* (does not work with the first approach *Label>value:...*.
> Is there a way to display the link label?

ValueLinks only display the label when they are undefined. Otherwise
they display the default string of the target (e.g. the title) or
whatever display parameter (this is the name of a description on the
object) is set.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: commands and value links

NorbertHartl

On 08.10.2010, at 13:42, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> label to be displayed. In the second approach can do it manually with
>> *Label>/some...* (does not work with the first approach *Label>value:...*.
>> Is there a way to display the link label?
>
> ValueLinks only display the label when they are undefined. Otherwise
> they display the default string of the target (e.g. the title) or
> whatever display parameter (this is the name of a description on the
> object) is set.

The first sentence I don't get. I understand the default behaviour (title) and the display attribute the choses a selector. But all of this is happening on the structure. I want to have the label from the command that is being used. Compare it to PRCommandWidget it displays the labels of all available commands. I want to have to same as value link.

thanks,

Norbert

Re: commands and value links

LawsonEnglish
  On 10/8/10 5:22 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On 08.10.2010, at 13:42, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>>> label to be displayed. In the second approach can do it manually with
>>> *Label>/some...* (does not work with the first approach *Label>value:...*.
>>> Is there a way to display the link label?
>> ValueLinks only display the label when they are undefined. Otherwise
>> they display the default string of the target (e.g. the title) or
>> whatever display parameter (this is the name of a description on the
>> object) is set.
> The first sentence I don't get. I understand the default behaviour (title) and the display attribute the choses a selector. But all of this is happening on the structure. I want to have the label from the command that is being used. Compare it to PRCommandWidget it displays the labels of all available commands. I want to have to same as value link.

+value:commands+ displays all the available value links because it
displays all selectors of methods that have the proper <pragma> in them.
You're talking about displaying the options available for a specific
value link and there's no built-in mechanism for that. You'd have to
provide it yourself. You could request all parameters for +value:xxx+
that was passed to the >>xxxIn:contents      method, but that would only
give you the parameters/commands that are specified in the text of the
link. If you want to provide a list of all possible options, you'll have
to define one yourself:

+value:myValueLink|command=displayAll+    and from inside method
 >>myValueLink:contents, you'd return a list of all the options you
defined within >>myValueLink:contents.

Lawson

Re: commands and value links

NorbertHartl

On 08.10.2010, at 14:37, Lawson English wrote:

[...]

Wow, I think I didn't understand a single bit of what you trying to say :) Probably it just does not make any sense what I'm saying.
Again. I have a custom command that creates a special kind of page for me. The command is displayed in the footer along the other pier commands. What I really want to do: I just want to have an easy way to display this single command anywhere on a page. With displaying I mean creating a link that when pressed executes the command.

Norbert

Re: commands and value links

Lukas Renggli
With

  Name: Pier-Model-lr.390
  Author: lr
  Time: 8 October 2010, 2:51:59 pm
  UUID: b4990979-0e1b-4e68-97c6-eb316ec0e065
  Ancestors: Pier-Model-DamienCassou.389

  - return the display string of value links

you can do

  *value:structure|link|command=Remove|display=Remove Me*

where the parameter 'display' is the name of a description on the
structure (as previously), or an arbitrary string that is returned
otherwise (newly added). Ok this is not as nice as it could be, but if
I find some more time it might get extended. I imagine something like

    Remove %{title}

where title would be a parameter of the structure.

Lukas

On 8 October 2010 14:50, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08.10.2010, at 14:37, Lawson English wrote:
>
> On 10/8/10 5:22 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> On 08.10.2010, at 13:42, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
> label to be displayed. In the second approach can do it manually with
>
> *Label>/some...* (does not work with the first approach *Label>value:...*.
>
> Is there a way to display the link label?
>
> ValueLinks only display the label when they are undefined. Otherwise
>
> they display the default string of the target (e.g. the title) or
>
> whatever display parameter (this is the name of a description on the
>
> object) is set.
>
> The first sentence I don't get. I understand the default behaviour (title)
> and the display attribute the choses a selector. But all of this is
> happening on the structure. I want to have the label from the command that
> is being used. Compare it to PRCommandWidget it displays the labels of all
> available commands. I want to have to same as value link.
>

> +value:commands+ displays all the available value links because it displays
> all selectors of methods that have the proper <pragma> in them. You're
> talking about displaying the options available for a specific value link and
> there's no built-in mechanism for that. You'd have to provide it yourself.
> You could request all parameters for +value:xxx+ that was passed to the
>>>xxxIn:contents      method, but that would only give you the
> parameters/commands that are specified in the text of the link. If you want
> to provide a list of all possible options, you'll have to define one
> yourself:
>
> +value:myValueLink|command=displayAll+    and from inside method
>>>myValueLink:contents, you'd return a list of all the options you defined
> within >>myValueLink:contents.
>
> Wow, I think I didn't understand a single bit of what you trying to say :)
> Probably it just does not make any sense what I'm saying.
> Again. I have a custom command that creates a special kind of page for me.
> The command is displayed in the footer along the other pier commands. What I
> really want to do: I just want to have an easy way to display this single
> command anywhere on a page. With displaying I mean creating a link that when
> pressed executes the command.
> Norbert

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: commands and value links

Lukas Renggli
Name: Pier-Model-lr.391
Author: lr
Time: 8 October 2010, 3:19:12 pm
UUID: ec6a7b61-a129-4fe1-b7dc-1a195b43da2c
Ancestors: Pier-Model-lr.390

- added the possibility to format value links like
*value:contents|link|command=Remove|display=Remove '{title}' owned by
{owner}*

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: commands and value links

NorbertHartl

On 08.10.2010, at 15:24, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Name: Pier-Model-lr.391
> Author: lr
> Time: 8 October 2010, 3:19:12 pm
> UUID: ec6a7b61-a129-4fe1-b7dc-1a195b43da2c
> Ancestors: Pier-Model-lr.390
>
> - added the possibility to format value links like
> *value:contents|link|command=Remove|display=Remove '{title}' owned by
> {owner}*

ha ha, you are funny. That was three minutes between the two last mails. I can imagine what worked in your head. Great! Thanks.

Norbert

> [...]
>>> there's no built-in mechanism for that. You'd have to provide it yourself.
>>> You could request all parameters for +value:xxx+ that was passed to the
>>> parameters/commands that are specified in the text of the link. If you want
>>> to provide a list of all possible options, you'll have to define one
>>> yourself:
>>>
>>> +value:myValueLink|command=displayAll+    and from inside method
>>> within >>myValueLink:contents.
>>>
>>> Wow, I think I didn't understand a single bit of what you trying to say :)
>>> Probably it just does not make any sense what I'm saying.
>>> Again. I have a custom command that creates a special kind of page for me.
>>> The command is displayed in the footer along the other pier commands. What I
>>> really want to do: I just want to have an easy way to display this single
>>> command anywhere on a page. With displaying I mean creating a link that when

Re: commands and value links

LawsonEnglish
  On 10/8/10 6:24 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
> Name: Pier-Model-lr.391
> Author: lr
> Time: 8 October 2010, 3:19:12 pm
> UUID: ec6a7b61-a129-4fe1-b7dc-1a195b43da2c
> Ancestors: Pier-Model-lr.390
>
> - added the possibility to format value links like
> *value:contents|link|command=Remove|display=Remove '{title}' owned by
> {owner}*

Are these options parsed before the xxxIn: method gets to see the
parameter list?

Lawson

Re: commands and value links

Lukas Renggli
Yes, link parameters are parsed at the very beginning and put into a
parameter dictionary of the link.

Lukas

On 8 October 2010 16:30, Lawson English <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  On 10/8/10 6:24 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>
>> Name: Pier-Model-lr.391
>> Author: lr
>> Time: 8 October 2010, 3:19:12 pm
>> UUID: ec6a7b61-a129-4fe1-b7dc-1a195b43da2c
>> Ancestors: Pier-Model-lr.390
>>
>> - added the possibility to format value links like
>> *value:contents|link|command=Remove|display=Remove '{title}' owned by
>> {owner}*
>
> Are these options parsed before the xxxIn: method gets to see the parameter
> list?
>

> Lawson

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: commands and value links

LawsonEnglish
  On 10/8/10 7:38 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
> Yes, link parameters are parsed at the very beginning and put into a
> parameter dictionary of the link.
>
> Lukas
So proper use would be:

*value:contents|link|command=Remove|display=Remove '{title}' owned by
{owner}|mystuff=stuff|morestuff=otherstuff*

Assuming that we extended>>contentsIn:   in some way...

Is there a difference between using '+' and '*' in the context of value links?

> On 8 October 2010 16:30, Lawson English<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>   On 10/8/10 6:24 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>> Name: Pier-Model-lr.391
>>> Author: lr
>>> Time: 8 October 2010, 3:19:12 pm
>>> UUID: ec6a7b61-a129-4fe1-b7dc-1a195b43da2c
>>> Ancestors: Pier-Model-lr.390
>>>
>>> - added the possibility to format value links like
>>> *value:contents|link|command=Remove|display=Remove '{title}' owned by
>>> {owner}*
>> Are these options parsed before the xxxIn: method gets to see the parameter
>> list?
>>

>> Lawson

Re: commands and value links

Lukas Renggli
> So proper use would be:
>
> *value:contents|link|command=Remove|display=Remove '{title}' owned by
> {owner}|mystuff=stuff|morestuff=otherstuff*

Yes, look at the senders of #hasParameter:, #parameterAt:,
#parameterAt:ifAbsent:, #parameterAt:ifPresent:, etc.

> Assuming that we extended>>contentsIn:   in some way...
>
> Is there a difference between using '+' and '*' in the context of value
> links?

In fact the method can ask #isEmbedded to itself to know. This was
currently done using the parameter 'embed', but I changed it in the
latest version which makes more sense.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli