companies developing in pharo

stephane ducasse
Hi guys

We are working hard on making pharo better. Our goal is to make sure that people can build nice software
in Pharo and be successful. We want to create an ecosystem around Pharo.
Now it will help us to know companies developing in pharo. Do not hesitate to contact privately if you do not want to say it publicly.
We keep an internal record for private communication within our laboratory.

you can see some of the public sucess stories at http://www.pharo-project.org/

Stef

BTW: if you want to join pharo you are welcome.

Re: companies developing in pharo

Nick
Hi Stef,

We're developing getitmade.com in Pharo and deploying using Gemstone.

Nick

On 1 February 2011 19:55, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys

We are working hard on making pharo better. Our goal is to make sure that people can build nice software
in Pharo and be successful. We want to create an ecosystem around Pharo.
Now it will help us to know companies developing in pharo. Do not hesitate to contact privately if you do not want to say it publicly.
We keep an internal record for private communication within our laboratory.

you can see some of the public sucess stories at http://www.pharo-project.org/

Stef

BTW: if you want to join pharo you are welcome.

Re: companies developing in pharo

Geert Claes
Administrator
I just read about Flowing's airflowing on Smalltalk Zen

Re: companies developing in pharo

Geert Claes
Administrator
stephane ducasse wrote
Now it will help us to know companies developing in pharo
I would actually like to list companies/organisations using any Smalltalk flavor on The World of Smalltalk

Re: companies developing in pharo

stephane ducasse
Thanks nick!!!
On Feb 2, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> We're developing getitmade.com in Pharo and deploying using Gemstone.
>
> Nick
>
> On 1 February 2011 19:55, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> We are working hard on making pharo better. Our goal is to make sure that people can build nice software
> in Pharo and be successful. We want to create an ecosystem around Pharo.
> Now it will help us to know companies developing in pharo. Do not hesitate to contact privately if you do not want to say it publicly.
> We keep an internal record for private communication within our laboratory.
>
> you can see some of the public sucess stories at http://www.pharo-project.org/
>
> Stef
>
> BTW: if you want to join pharo you are welcome.

Re: companies developing in pharo

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
it's amazing to hear this. Beautiful. Also just right (for the industry and future of Smalltalk).

at flowing we choosed Pharo to run airflowing (the main product which had the very first prototype made on squeak)

it runs on N pharo workers (balanced with apache) so it can scale without points of contention in M servers

our superpower is a combination of seaside plus a home made framework on top of it

and here I wrote a few lines to talk about how to achieve the goal:

o/

On Feb 1, 2011, at 5:55 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:

Hi guys

We are working hard on making pharo better. Our goal is to make sure that people can build nice software
in Pharo and be successful. We want to create an ecosystem around Pharo.
Now it will help us to know companies developing in pharo. Do not hesitate to contact privately if you do not want to say it publicly.
We keep an internal record for private communication within our laboratory.

you can see some of the public sucess stories at http://www.pharo-project.org/

Stef

BTW: if you want to join pharo you are welcome.

Re: companies developing in pharo

Geert Claes
Administrator
Sebastian Sastre wrote
our superpower is a combination of seaside plus a home made framework on top of it
What were the main things you felt were missing from Seaside itself which is now part of your framework (is it called BrandIt?) and can they be added to Seaside or would that remove your competitive advantage?  The question is; which are the areas that need improvement to attract more startups like yourself.

Re: companies developing in pharo

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
yeah, as I am a smalltalk geek already I don't think my opinion is as valuable as the one of the people we should want to attract.

I think that seaside has huge potential to attract technical co-founders already but we don't have enough press cases to get noticed by the rest. We need more dabbledbs kind of stories. That's the kind of thing that open doors for everybody.

So the best you can do is to be another startup based on seaside and go insanely successful. That will help us all.

And about adding things that may or may not hurt competitive advantages... I don't think that's the issue at all. The market is big for everybody already. Actually is huge. If we aren't feeling it huge is just because we aren't designing things for those audiences. So we aren't fitting well anywhere. That's a real issue (which you don't fix with code that is fancy stuff for geeks but you can fix coding for people that thanks universe doesn't enjoy suffering when they struggle to tell computers what to do (as we do enjoy)).

So those cases won't happen if we:

1. wait to investors to knock our doors signing checks (they will do that only when you don't need their money anymore) and
2. we don't listen (and do the right thing) for people in the design world: people expert in user experience and interfaces

we should be helping them to to kick ass and don't let them down because they know how to make the consumer feel better about something (something easily doable with smalltalk)

that will automagically make us to get noticed in the industry in ways you can't imagine nor predict

the irony is that smalltak is kind of the best thing to do this at programming level. Its code is insanely elegant (not always but often). Probably that's why Apple got serious on trying to use it but then dropped when the hardware they needed was too expensive letting them down at a commercial level (thanks Randal for letting me know that part of the story).

That hardware problem is not here anymore.

We don't have Apple anymore too but we have ourselves, right?

So we can improve our taste and our design skills and our user experience skills and make a smalltalk with a UI that kick ass even more than today (no need to go freaking fancy... sometimes are simple adjustments that improves an UI x2 or x5 times, some times are re-aligning things or removing things)

we need to be the designer's new best friend (or stay in the comfort zone)

It's interesting that there is going to be a spring about UI in Bern in feb 26.

So one last thing, when dealing with UI and interactions these two books can't be ignored without some sort of damage:
1. Don't make me think (I know it says web but the principles are quite universal)
2. Universal principles of Design (more general but that's a none issue for smalltalkers that know how to get more concrete from the right abstractions, besides that book has earned every one of those 5 stars for a reason).

And if you can't have those for any inexcusable reason, this is the least you can do:

On Feb 2, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Geert Claes wrote:

Sebastian Sastre wrote:

our superpower is a combination of seaside plus a home made framework on
top of it

What were the main things you felt were missing from Seaside itself which is
now part of your framework (is it called BrandIt?) and can they be added to
Seaside or would that remove your competitive advantage?  The question is;
which are the areas that need improvement to attract more startups like
yourself.

Re: companies developing in pharo

stephane ducasse
thanks a lot sebastian. We had your company already in the list and I really wish you a lot of success.

Stef
PS: some of you may know it but I'm *****really****** concerned about our (yours + mine) future. How can we build and invent
it and control it. How can we make sure that if avi would get back in 5 years, he would invent again seaside in Smalltalk?
Right now I'm really worried by the state of our vms because it can endanger the liveness of the complete
system (truck factor, lack of evolution,....).

On Feb 2, 2011, at 3:06 PM, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> it's amazing to hear this. Beautiful. Also just right (for the industry and future of Smalltalk).
>
> at flowing we choosed Pharo to run airflowing (the main product which had the very first prototype made on squeak)
>
> it runs on N pharo workers (balanced with apache) so it can scale without points of contention in M servers
>
> our superpower is a combination of seaside plus a home made framework on top of it
>
> and here I wrote a few lines to talk about how to achieve the goal:
>
> How to have an ecosystem around your technology?
>
> o/
>

> On Feb 1, 2011, at 5:55 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> We are working hard on making pharo better. Our goal is to make sure that people can build nice software
>> in Pharo and be successful. We want to create an ecosystem around Pharo.
>> Now it will help us to know companies developing in pharo. Do not hesitate to contact privately if you do not want to say it publicly.
>> We keep an internal record for private communication within our laboratory.
>>
>> you can see some of the public sucess stories at http://www.pharo-project.org/
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> BTW: if you want to join pharo you are welcome.

Re: companies developing in pharo

littleSmalltalker
Stephane,
I might not be an old Smalltalker, but I can certainly feel your concerns.
I come from a rich background in numerous development environments & methodologies, and I KNOW that Smalltalk is a great way to develop programs. It is the lack of tools, scaffolding, code generation and UI design that diminishes its appeal. I'm not talking about the already-fantastic code editing tools, but the fact that things haven't changed much, compared to other environments/languages.

It seems to me that Smalltalk could benefit from a "Community Advisory Board" where people from the community are involved in what's happening, and have a vote for the future of things. This way we won't have to wait for nobody, and we'll certainly make the system more alive.

On the Seaside point of view: I had the time to look into NOLOH lately (Not One Line Of Html), and the only thing that was in my mind was: "Gee, Seaside can handle this better". Yet the tools for NOLOH, the use cases, examples, documentation, and whatever are more appealing. Seaside IS better, but it needs more tools that accompany it.

Regards,
Avi.

On Feb 2, 2011, at 8:53 PM, Avi Shefi wrote:

> Stephane,
> I might not be an old Smalltalker, but I can certainly feel your concerns.
> I come from a rich background in numerous development environments & methodologies, and I KNOW that Smalltalk is a great way to develop programs. It is the lack of tools, scaffolding, code generation and UI design that diminishes its appeal. I'm not talking about the already-fantastic code editing tools, but the fact that things haven't changed much, compared to other environments/languages.

I ***know***
sometimes I have the feeling to try to move mountains

> It seems to me that Smalltalk could benefit from a "Community Advisory Board" where people from the community are involved in what's happening, and have a vote for the future of things. This way we won't have to wait for nobody, and we'll certainly make the system more alive.

This will not work :) what works is to do it

> On the Seaside point of view: I had the time to look into NOLOH lately (Not One Line Of Html), and the only thing that was in my mind was: "Gee, Seaside can handle this better". Yet the tools for NOLOH, the use cases, examples, documentation, and whatever are more appealing. Seaside IS better, but it needs more tools that accompany it.

yes now I did my best: spent 4 years writing a book instead of coding.
Now everybody can help at his own level.

Stef

> Regards,
> Avi.
>

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:51 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> thanks a lot sebastian. We had your company already in the list and I really wish you a lot of success.
>
> Stef
> PS: some of you may know it but I'm *****really****** concerned about our (yours + mine) future. How can we build and invent
> it and control it. How can we make sure that if avi would get back in 5 years, he would invent again seaside in Smalltalk?
> Right now I'm really worried by the state of our vms because it can endanger the liveness of the complete
> system (truck factor, lack of evolution,....).
>

> On Feb 2, 2011, at 3:06 PM, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>
> > it's amazing to hear this. Beautiful. Also just right (for the industry and future of Smalltalk).
> >
> > at flowing we choosed Pharo to run airflowing (the main product which had the very first prototype made on squeak)
> >
> > it runs on N pharo workers (balanced with apache) so it can scale without points of contention in M servers
> >
> > our superpower is a combination of seaside plus a home made framework on top of it
> >
> > and here I wrote a few lines to talk about how to achieve the goal:
> >
> > How to have an ecosystem around your technology?
> >
> > o/
> >

> > On Feb 1, 2011, at 5:55 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
> >
> >> Hi guys
> >>
> >> We are working hard on making pharo better. Our goal is to make sure that people can build nice software
> >> in Pharo and be successful. We want to create an ecosystem around Pharo.
> >> Now it will help us to know companies developing in pharo. Do not hesitate to contact privately if you do not want to say it publicly.
> >> We keep an internal record for private communication within our laboratory.
> >>
> >> you can see some of the public sucess stories at http://www.pharo-project.org/
> >>
> >> Stef
> >>
> >> BTW: if you want to join pharo you are welcome.

Re: companies developing in pharo

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Oh thanks to you Stef, and to all of you guys.

You guys are doing a terrific job.

One compiled method at the time :)

o/

On Feb 2, 2011, at 4:51 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> thanks a lot sebastian. We had your company already in the list and I really wish you a lot of success.
>
> Stef
> PS: some of you may know it but I'm *****really****** concerned about our (yours + mine) future. How can we build and invent
> it and control it. How can we make sure that if avi would get back in 5 years, he would invent again seaside in Smalltalk?
> Right now I'm really worried by the state of our vms because it can endanger the liveness of the complete
> system (truck factor, lack of evolution,....).
>

> On Feb 2, 2011, at 3:06 PM, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>
>> it's amazing to hear this. Beautiful. Also just right (for the industry and future of Smalltalk).
>>
>> at flowing we choosed Pharo to run airflowing (the main product which had the very first prototype made on squeak)
>>
>> it runs on N pharo workers (balanced with apache) so it can scale without points of contention in M servers
>>
>> our superpower is a combination of seaside plus a home made framework on top of it
>>
>> and here I wrote a few lines to talk about how to achieve the goal:
>>
>> How to have an ecosystem around your technology?
>>
>> o/
>>

>> On Feb 1, 2011, at 5:55 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> We are working hard on making pharo better. Our goal is to make sure that people can build nice software
>>> in Pharo and be successful. We want to create an ecosystem around Pharo.
>>> Now it will help us to know companies developing in pharo. Do not hesitate to contact privately if you do not want to say it publicly.
>>> We keep an internal record for private communication within our laboratory.
>>>
>>> you can see some of the public sucess stories at http://www.pharo-project.org/
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>> BTW: if you want to join pharo you are welcome.

Re: companies developing in pharo

Lorenzo
Hi Stef,

I started using Pahro and I agreed with you: it is really a good tool for
professional application.

Anyway, after more the 30 year as ST user, I must say the if we want succed,
we musta have and integratet tool for interfaces design, on the style of
PARTS (in VSE) or, as I suppose, somthing better.

Whay do not launch a project for developping it?

I subscribe as alpha tester.

Lat me know your opinion.

Ciao

Lorenzo

On Mar 23, 2011, at 3:23 PM, Lorenzo Schiavina wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> I started using Pahro and I agreed with you: it is really a good tool for professional application.
>
> Anyway, after more the 30 year as ST user, I must say the if we want succed, we musta have and integratet tool for interfaces design, on the style of PARTS (in VSE) or, as I suppose, somthing better.
>
> Whay do not launch a project for developping it?

money?
If we want more things to happen we should put money on the table

> I subscribe as alpha tester.
>
> Lat me know your opinion.
>
> Ciao
>
> Lorenzo
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]>

How much money do you need?

Lorenzo

On Mar 29, 2011, at 8:27 AM, Lorenzo Schiavina wrote:

> How much money do you need?

To pay one engineer for a couple of months.
So we will be building a consortium with INRIA and interested companies and the goal is really to make sure that
we can all put some money on the table and get one good guy like igor paid to improve the system.

Stef

> Lorenzo
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]>

Well, I cannot invest so much at present; but if you can find some people
interested to invest, please remember me

Ciao