confusion about where to look for sources file

confusion about where to look for sources file

Ross Boylan
I got
http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/23087/pharo1.0-10440-BETAdev09.09.1.zip and http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22745/pharo-vm-0.15.2d-linux.zip.
Both unzipped into subdirectories.  In the top level directory I created
symlinks to the image and changes file (from the first zip) and a
sources file (already on my system).  Then I ran
pharo-vm-0.15.2d-linux/squeak pharo1.0-10418-BETAdev09.08.3.image &

This gave me an error that I needed the sources file in the same
directory as my image file.  However, the path it gave was the directory
of the squeak executable.

When I installed a symlink to the sources in the the squeak executable
directory, start up was without complaint.

So, I think it is not looking for the sources in the image directory.
Ideally, it would; alternately, the error message should be consistent
with the current behavior.

I'm not sure if this kind of report should go to this list or the bug
tracker....

Ross Boylan

Re: confusion about where to look for sources file

Damien Cassou
On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Ross Boylan<[hidden email]> wrote:
> So, I think it is not looking for the sources in the image directory.
> Ideally, it would; alternately, the error message should be consistent
> with the current behavior.

Both solutions are viable solutions normally.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 08:04 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Ross Boylan<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > So, I think it is not looking for the sources in the image directory.
> > Ideally, it would; alternately, the error message should be consistent
> > with the current behavior.
>
> Both solutions are viable solutions normally.

It may have failed to find the sources because of the oddity I mentioned
in another email: though I ran from a top level directory, squeak seemed
to think it was running in a subdirectory.  I did not have a link to the
sources in that subdirectory.

Maybe some interaction with symlinks.  Original setup
proj/sub/x.image
proj/sub/x.changes

Create proj/x.image and proj/x.changes as symlinks to the corresponding
files under sub.
Create proj/SqueakV39.sources as a symlink to the real one.

Invoke squeak from proj/ (squeak executable under proj/sub2/).

The cache directory for downloading packages ended up in
proj/sub/cache
and save as saved to proj/sub.
This suggests it may have been looking for sources in proj/sub, where
they weren't, rather than proj/, where they were.

Ross