connection to access databases

12

connection to access databases

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Is there a way to connect to a Microsoft Access database from Pharo?

I have an mdb file of 300 Mb that I would need to analyze.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: connection to access databases

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to connect to a Microsoft Access database from Pharo?

Yes, with ODBC.

Levente

> I have an mdb file of 300 Mb that I would need to analyze.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: connection to access databases

Tudor Girba

I tried loading it, but I get :
"This package depends on the following classes:
   ExternalLibrary
   ExternalStructure"

Can anyone tell me where to find these from?

Also, are there eternal prerequisites to work with ODBC?

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 Jul 2010, at 00:35, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to connect to a Microsoft Access database from Pharo?
>
> Yes, with ODBC.
>

> Levente
>

>> I have an mdb file of 300 Mb that I would need to analyze.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know
>> her."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: connection to access databases

Tudor Girba
 From the webpage, it looks like Access is not among the supported
backends.

But, I would be happy to be wrong :). Does anyone have a more precise
idea?

Doru

On 18 Jul 2010, at 02:14, Gabriel Brunstein wrote:

> Maybe squeakDBX, i don't know if it supports Access.
>
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to connect to a Microsoft Access database from Pharo?
>
> Yes, with ODBC.
>

> Levente
>

> I have an mdb file of 300 Mb that I would need to analyze.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know
> her."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: connection to access databases

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
From the webpage, it looks like Access is not among the supported backends.

But, I would be happy to be wrong :). Does anyone have a more precise idea?

SqueakDBX doesn't support Access but does ODBC. However, I think using the ODBC driver would be easier for you.

Doru

On 18 Jul 2010, at 02:14, Gabriel Brunstein wrote:

Maybe squeakDBX, i don't know if it supports Access.

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, Tudor Girba wrote:

Hi,

Is there a way to connect to a Microsoft Access database from Pharo?

Yes, with ODBC.

Levente

I have an mdb file of 300 Mb that I would need to analyze.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: connection to access databases

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I tried loading it, but I get :
"This package depends on the following classes:
 ExternalLibrary
 ExternalStructure"

Can anyone tell me where to find these from?

This means that you need Metacello ;)

Those classes are from FFI, a pre-requisite for ODBC to work.
Maybe there is a ConfigurationOfODBC somewhere...

For the moment, I recommend you to install FFI using the ConfigurationOfFFI.

Cheers

Mariano

Also, are there eternal prerequisites to work with ODBC?

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 Jul 2010, at 00:35, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, Tudor Girba wrote:

Hi,

Is there a way to connect to a Microsoft Access database from Pharo?

Yes, with ODBC.

Levente

I have an mdb file of 300 Mb that I would need to analyze.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: connection to access databases

Tudor Girba
Thanks Mariano!

Indeed, if I load ConfigurationOfFFI first, everything loads well.

I am a complete newbie in this area. Can anyone tell me what I should
do next?

I imagine that I should connect to an Access server. If yes, how would
I do that?

Also, do I need anything else, like a C plugin/library to get the C
calls from ODBCLibrary going?

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 Jul 2010, at 09:17, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried loading it, but I get :
> "This package depends on the following classes:
>  ExternalLibrary
>  ExternalStructure"
>
> Can anyone tell me where to find these from?
>
> This means that you need Metacello ;)
>
> Those classes are from FFI, a pre-requisite for ODBC to work.
> Maybe there is a ConfigurationOfODBC somewhere...
>
> For the moment, I recommend you to install FFI using the
> ConfigurationOfFFI.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> Also, are there eternal prerequisites to work with ODBC?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 18 Jul 2010, at 00:35, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to connect to a Microsoft Access database from Pharo?
>
> Yes, with ODBC.
>

> Levente
>

> I have an mdb file of 300 Mb that I would need to analyze.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know
> her."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

www.tudorgirba.com

"When people care, great things can happen."

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Thanks Mariano!
>
> Indeed, if I load ConfigurationOfFFI first, everything loads well.
>
> I am a complete newbie in this area. Can anyone tell me what I should do
> next?
>
> I imagine that I should connect to an Access server. If yes, how would I do
> that?
>
> Also, do I need anything else, like a C plugin/library to get the C calls
> from ODBCLibrary going?

First you'll need a pc running windows. Then you have to create an ODBC
Data Source for your Access file. Then you'll be able to create a
connection to that datasource from your image.

Levente

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 18 Jul 2010, at 09:17, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried loading it, but I get :
>> "This package depends on the following classes:
>> ExternalLibrary
>> ExternalStructure"
>>
>> Can anyone tell me where to find these from?
>>
>> This means that you need Metacello ;)
>>
>> Those classes are from FFI, a pre-requisite for ODBC to work.
>> Maybe there is a ConfigurationOfODBC somewhere...
>>
>> For the moment, I recommend you to install FFI using the
>> ConfigurationOfFFI.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>> Also, are there eternal prerequisites to work with ODBC?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 18 Jul 2010, at 00:35, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to connect to a Microsoft Access database from Pharo?
>>
>> Yes, with ODBC.
>>

>> Levente
>>

>> I have an mdb file of 300 Mb that I would need to analyze.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "When people care, great things can happen."

Re: connection to access databases

garduino
Hi Tudor:

Is as Levente says, you must define an ODBC source on a Windows PC
(Alternatively on Unix you can use ODBC also).

Some examples on: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2480

Cheers.
Germán.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Germán Arduino wrote:

> Hi Tudor:
>
> Is as Levente says, you must define an ODBC source on a Windows PC
> (Alternatively on Unix you can use ODBC also).

I don't know any free ODBC drivers for Access on un*x. I only know a
driver which costs 4-5 times more than the windows OS itself :). But
there's a driver for mac which costs only 30 usd if you're interested.

Levente

> Some examples on: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2480
>
> Cheers.
> Germán.
>

> 2010/7/18 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Mariano!
>>>
>>> Indeed, if I load ConfigurationOfFFI first, everything loads well.
>>>
>>> I am a complete newbie in this area. Can anyone tell me what I should do
>>> next?
>>>
>>> I imagine that I should connect to an Access server. If yes, how would I
>>> do that?
>>>
>>> Also, do I need anything else, like a C plugin/library to get the C calls
>>> from ODBCLibrary going?
>>
>> First you'll need a pc running windows. Then you have to create an ODBC Data
>> Source for your Access file. Then you'll be able to create a connection to
>> that datasource from your image.
>>

>> Levente
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "When people care, great things can happen."

Re: connection to access databases

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Thanks for the pointers.

Levente, could you point me to this driver for mac?

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 Jul 2010, at 20:34, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Germán Arduino wrote:
>
>> Hi Tudor:
>>
>> Is as Levente says, you must define an ODBC source on a Windows PC
>> (Alternatively on Unix you can use ODBC also).
>
> I don't know any free ODBC drivers for Access on un*x. I only know a
> driver which costs 4-5 times more than the windows OS itself :). But
> there's a driver for mac which costs only 30 usd if you're interested.
>

> Levente
>

>> Some examples on: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2480
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Germán.

>>> First you'll need a pc running windows. Then you have to create an
>>> ODBC Data
>>> Source for your Access file. Then you'll be able to create a
>>> connection to
>>> that datasource from your image.
>>>

>>> Levente

www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: connection to access databases

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the pointers.
>
> Levente, could you point me to this driver for mac?

Sure: http://www.actualtech.com/product_access.php
Note that I have no experience with it, but there's a trial version.

Levente

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 18 Jul 2010, at 20:34, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Germán Arduino wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tudor:
>>>
>>> Is as Levente says, you must define an ODBC source on a Windows PC
>>> (Alternatively on Unix you can use ODBC also).
>>
>> I don't know any free ODBC drivers for Access on un*x. I only know a driver
>> which costs 4-5 times more than the windows OS itself :). But
>> there's a driver for mac which costs only 30 usd if you're interested.
>>

>> Levente
>>

>>> Some examples on: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2480
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>> Germán.

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: connection to access databases

Alexandre Bergel
No idea about that. But let us know if you succeed.

Good luck,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: connection to access databases

garduino
Not, I'm not talking of propietary software.

I'm talking of one I used when helped Diego with the testing of the
odbc package. Don't remember now, but may be this
http://www.unixodbc.org/ ?

About Mac, sorry, never touched a mac in all my life....

Cheers.

2010/7/18 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Germán Arduino wrote:
>
>> Hi Tudor:
>>
>> Is as Levente says, you must define an ODBC source on a Windows PC
>> (Alternatively on Unix you can use ODBC also).
>
> I don't know any free ODBC drivers for Access on un*x. I only know a driver
> which costs 4-5 times more than the windows OS itself :). But
> there's a driver for mac which costs only 30 usd if you're interested.
>

> Levente
>

>> Some examples on: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2480
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Germán.

>>> First you'll need a pc running windows. Then you have to create an ODBC
>>> Data
>>> Source for your Access file. Then you'll be able to create a connection
>>> that datasource from your image.
>>>

>>> Levente

Re: connection to access databases

laurent laffont
2010/7/18 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Germán Arduino wrote:

Hi Tudor:

Is as Levente says, you must define an ODBC source on a Windows PC
(Alternatively on Unix you can use ODBC also).

I don't know any free ODBC drivers for Access on un*x. I only know a driver which costs 4-5 times more than the windows OS itself :). But
there's a driver for mac which costs only 30 usd if you're interested.

On Linux I've used libmdbodbc from mdbtools http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/ to migrate an access database 2 years ago. (using ruby & rubyodbc binding)

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

Levente

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, laurent laffont wrote:

> 2010/7/18 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>
>
>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Germán Arduino wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Tudor:
>>>
>>> Is as Levente says, you must define an ODBC source on a Windows PC
>>> (Alternatively on Unix you can use ODBC also).
>>>

>> I don't know any free ODBC drivers for Access on un*x. I only know a driver
>> which costs 4-5 times more than the windows OS itself :). But
>> there's a driver for mac which costs only 30 usd if you're interested.
>>

> On Linux I've used libmdbodbc from mdbtools http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/ to
> migrate an access database 2 years ago. (using ruby & rubyodbc binding)
This looks good and probably works on a Mac too:
http://www.automatthew.com/2008/02/how-to-compile-mdbtools-on-mac-os-x.html

Levente

> Cheers,
>
> Laurent Laffont
>

>> Levente
>>

>>> Some examples on: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2480
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>> Germán.

Re: connection to access databases

Levente Uzonyi-2

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Germán Arduino wrote:

> Not, I'm not talking of propietary software.
>
> I'm talking of one I used when helped Diego with the testing of the
> odbc package. Don't remember now, but may be this
> http://www.unixodbc.org/ ?

ODBC is just an API, if you don't have a driver for yourdatabase,
then it won't help.

Levente

> About Mac, sorry, never touched a mac in all my life....
>
> Cheers.
>

> 2010/7/18 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Germán Arduino wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tudor:
>>>
>>> Is as Levente says, you must define an ODBC source on a Windows PC
>>> (Alternatively on Unix you can use ODBC also).
>>
>> I don't know any free ODBC drivers for Access on un*x. I only know a driver
>> which costs 4-5 times more than the windows OS itself :). But
>> there's a driver for mac which costs only 30 usd if you're interested.
>>

>> Levente
>>

>>> Some examples on: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2480
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>> Germán.

Re: connection to access databases

garduino
Yes, Indeed, I mean, I used a driver to access, but can't remember now
the brand, but I'm sure I not payed for it :)

May be I used some trial version....

2010/7/18 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Germán Arduino wrote:
>
>> Not, I'm not talking of propietary software.
>>
>> I'm talking of one I used when helped Diego with the testing of the
>> odbc package. Don't remember now, but may be this
>> http://www.unixodbc.org/ ?
>
> ODBC is just an API, if you don't have a driver for yourdatabase, then it
> won't help.
>

> Levente
>

>> About Mac, sorry, never touched a mac in all my life....
>>
>> Cheers.

>>> I don't know any free ODBC drivers for Access on un*x. I only know a
>>> driver
>>> which costs 4-5 times more than the windows OS itself :). But
>>> there's a driver for mac which costs only 30 usd if you're interested.
>>>

>>> Levente

Re: connection to access databases

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Thanks for all the pointers. I am now testing on Mac using the Actual
driver:
http://www.actualtech.com/product_access.php

I managed to get it running, but now I have problems with the ODBC
Pharo implementation because there seems to be no module for Mac:

ODBCLibrary class>>moduleName
        "Return the name of the module for this library"
        SmalltalkImage current platformName = 'Win32' ifTrue: [ ^ 'odbc32' ].
        SmalltalkImage current platformName = 'unix' ifTrue: [ ^
'libodbc.so' ].
        ^ self error: 'Don''t know the ODBC library name'

Is there something to be done in this area?

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Jul 2010, at 01:04, Germán Arduino wrote:

> Yes, Indeed, I mean, I used a driver to access, but can't remember now
> the brand, but I'm sure I not payed for it :)
>
> May be I used some trial version....
>
> 2010/7/18 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Germán Arduino wrote:
>>
>>> Not, I'm not talking of propietary software.
>>>
>>> I'm talking of one I used when helped Diego with the testing of the
>>> odbc package. Don't remember now, but may be this
>>> http://www.unixodbc.org/ ?
>>
>> ODBC is just an API, if you don't have a driver for yourdatabase,
>> then it
>> won't help.
>>

>> Levente
>>

>>> About Mac, sorry, never touched a mac in all my life....
>>>
>>> Cheers.

>>> --

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

12