conversion from visual smalltalk enterprise to dolphin

conversion from visual smalltalk enterprise to dolphin

Soren Skogstad Nielsen
The subject nearly says everything.

I have taken a look at dolphin version 3, and I like it.

But I have four systems and nearly 5 megabytes of code and app. 100
windows and dialogs
I have no OLE interfaces and no db access, but a lot of graphics.

So if anybody have som hints on the strategy to follow  I would be very
very glad   : )

My hope is that my application classes will port with ease due to the
syntax similarities but also that
Any window will take app. twice as much effort to build as it did on
VSE's good old windowbuilder.

Which  goddies is a must for this task ??
Will a later Dolphin version make the port significantly easier ?

Would you care to share your experience ??

regards

Soren Skogstad Nielsen

The world is just one big friendly surprise....

Re: conversion from visual smalltalk enterprise to dolphin

jWarrior
soren,

you might want to contact eric clayberg [hidden email];
his company has done many vse migrations.

hth,

donald

"Soren Skogstad Nielsen" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> The subject nearly says everything.
>
> I have taken a look at dolphin version 3, and I like it.
>
> But I have four systems and nearly 5 megabytes of code and app. 100
> windows and dialogs
> I have no OLE interfaces and no db access, but a lot of graphics.
>
> So if anybody have som hints on the strategy to follow  I would be very
> very glad   : )
>
> My hope is that my application classes will port with ease due to the
> syntax similarities but also that
> Any window will take app. twice as much effort to build as it did on
> VSE's good old windowbuilder.
>
> Which  goddies is a must for this task ??
> Will a later Dolphin version make the port significantly easier ?
>

> Would you care to share your experience ??
>
> regards
>
> Soren Skogstad Nielsen
>
> The world is just one big friendly surprise....

Re: conversion from visual smalltalk enterprise to dolphin

John Brant
"Soren Skogstad Nielsen" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> The subject nearly says everything.
>
> I have taken a look at dolphin version 3, and I like it.
>
> But I have four systems and nearly 5 megabytes of code and app. 100
> windows and dialogs
> I have no OLE interfaces and no db access, but a lot of graphics.
>
> So if anybody have som hints on the strategy to follow  I would be very
> very glad   : )
>
> My hope is that my application classes will port with ease due to the
> syntax similarities but also that
> Any window will take app. twice as much effort to build as it did on
> VSE's good old windowbuilder.
>
> Which  goddies is a must for this task ??

I don't believe their are any goodies to help convert VSE GUI's to Dolphin
GUI's. However,
Synchrony Systems (http://www.sync-sys.com) has their SMT tool which could
be used to migrate the GUI's. It has been used mainly for migrations to
VisualAge, but I think they have done at least one migration to Dolphin.

> Will a later Dolphin version make the port significantly easier ?

Dolphin 5 has the Refactoring Browser integrated in it. The Refactoring
Browser has a rewrite tool that could help migrate your code. The rewrite
tool has been used for several migrations. In fact, it is used by the SMT
tool to do its code transformations.

John Brant