convert from VisualWorks to Pharo

cdelaunay
Hello,

I'm trying to convert some packages from VW to Pharo. For that, I use the technic described in the SCG wiki (using the squeak exporter in visual works and then dragging the .st file in pharo). For some packages it works well. For other, I have syntax errors (that don't really described the problem). In these case, what is the solution ?

Re: convert from VisualWorks to Pharo

Simon Denier-3

On 25 févr. 2010, at 11:09, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to convert some packages from VW to Pharo. For that, I use the technic described in the SCG wiki (using the squeak exporter in visual works and then dragging the .st file in pharo). For some packages it works well. For other, I have syntax errors (that don't really described the problem). In these case, what is the solution ?

You have to fix the st file by hand. The syntax error (with respect to the Pharo parser) is sometimes easy to spot, sometimes not. I think there is way to get a better error review.

--
 Simon

Re: convert from VisualWorks to Pharo

Tudor Girba
But what generates the error?

Cheers,
Doru

On 25 Feb 2010, at 11:29, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 25 févr. 2010, at 11:09, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to convert some packages from VW to Pharo. For that, I
>> use the technic described in the SCG wiki (using the squeak
>> exporter in visual works and then dragging the .st file in pharo).
>> For some packages it works well. For other, I have syntax errors
>> (that don't really described the problem). In these case, what is
>> the solution ?
>

> You have to fix the st file by hand. The syntax error (with respect
> to the Pharo parser) is sometimes easy to spot, sometimes not. I
> think there is way to get a better error review.
>
> --
> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"Some battles are better lost than fought."

Re: convert from VisualWorks to Pharo

cdelaunay
I'm not able to tell what is the problem. It seems that the line:
   string replaceAll: $√§ with: $a.
is the origin of the problem.

By sending 'proceed' to this syntax error, all ends with success.

I have also another question:
If in visual works, the package contains extensions to classes that no longer exist in Pharo, what is the solution to port it to Pharo?

2010/2/25 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
[...]

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 25, 2010, at 1:25 PM, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> I'm not able to tell what is the problem. It seems that the line:
>    string replaceAll: $√§ with: $a.

this is strange.

> is the origin of the problem.
>
> By sending 'proceed' to this syntax error, all ends with success.
>
> I have also another question:
> If in visual works, the package contains extensions to classes that no longer exist in Pharo, what is the solution to port it to Pharo?

should have a look at each of the extensions

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to convert some packages from VW to Pharo. For that, I use the technic described in the SCG wiki (using the squeak exporter in visual works and then dragging the .st file in pharo). For some packages it works well. For other, I have syntax errors (that don't really described the problem). In these case, what is the solution ?
>

> You have to fix the st file by hand. The syntax error (with respect to the Pharo parser) is sometimes easy to spot, sometimes not. I think there is way to get a better error review.
>
> --
> Simon

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Some battles are better lost than fought."

Re: convert from VisualWorks to Pharo

Tudor Girba
Hi Cyrille,

The simplest solution is to rename the classes in VisualWorks and
export afterwards. Another solution is create the VW classes in Pharo
and move the methods afterwards.

Cheers,
Doru

On 25 Feb 2010, at 13:25, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> I'm not able to tell what is the problem. It seems that the line:
>    string replaceAll: $√§ with: $a.
> is the origin of the problem.
>
> By sending 'proceed' to this syntax error, all ends with success.
>
> I have also another question:
> If in visual works, the package contains extensions to classes that
> no longer exist in Pharo, what is the solution to port it to Pharo?
>
> 2010/2/25 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> But what generates the error?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 25 Feb 2010, at 11:29, Simon Denier wrote:
>

> On 25 févr. 2010, at 11:09, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to convert some packages from VW to Pharo. For that, I
> use the technic described in the SCG wiki (using the squeak exporter
> in visual works and then dragging the .st file in pharo). For some
> packages it works well. For other, I have syntax errors (that don't
> really described the problem). In these case, what is the solution ?
>

> You have to fix the st file by hand. The syntax error (with respect
> to the Pharo parser) is sometimes easy to spot, sometimes not. I
> think there is way to get a better error review.
>
> --
> Simon

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Some battles are better lost than fought."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Being happy is a matter of choice."

Re: convert from VisualWorks to Pharo

cdelaunay
Here is the content of my syntax error window :
===================================

performStemming: aString
string := aString.
self toLowercase.
self preprocessing.
self setMarks.
self step1.
self step2.
self step3.
self toLowercase.
string := string replaceAll: $ä Argument expected ->with: $a.
string := string replaceAll: $ö with: $o.
string := string replaceAll: $ü with: $u.
^string "German includes the following accented forms,
√§   √∂   √º
and a special letter, √ü, equivalent to double s.

The following letters are vowels:
a   e   i   o   u   y   √§   √∂   √º
First, replace √ü by ss, and put u and y between vowels into upper case. R1 and R2 are first set up in the standard way (see the note on R1 and R2), but then R1 is adjusted so that the region before it contains at least 3 letters.

Define a valid s-ending as one of b, d, f, g, h, k, l, m, n, r or t.

Define a valid st-ending as the same list, excluding letter r.

Do each of steps 1, 2 and 3.

Step 1:
Search for the longest among the following suffixes,

(a) e   em   en   ern   er   es
(b) s (preceded by a valid s-ending)

and delete if in R1. (Of course the letter of the valid s-ending is not necessarily in R1)
(For example, √§ckern -> √§ck, ackers -> acker, armes -> arm)

Step 2:
Search for the longest among the following suffixes,

(a) en   er   est
(b) st (preceded by a valid st-ending, itself preceded by at least 3 letters)

and delete if in R1.
(For example, derbsten -> derbst by step 1, and derbst -> derb by step 2, since b is a valid st-ending, and is preceded by just 3 letters)

Step 3:
Search for the longest among the following suffixes, and perform the action indicated.

end   ung
delete if in R2
if preceded by ig, delete if in R2 and not preceded by e

ig   ik   isch
delete if in R2 and not preceded by e

lich   heit
delete if in R2
if preceded by er or en, delete if in R1

keit
delete if in R2
if preceded by lich or ig, delete if in R2

Finally,
turn U and Y back into lower case, and remove the umlaut accent from a, o and u."

[...]

So apparently, it is a problem with the input charset of the st file, which the Pharo parser does not recognize.

Cyrille, can you execture a 'file -I changeset.st' in a terminal to get the charset?