convert from quad-byte single or double quote characters to single byte?

convert from quad-byte single or double quote characters to single byte?

Paul DeBruicker
Hi -

I'm getting a bug when someone submits a form with smart quotes in it. e.g.

Braun’s

(The quote mark there is a Unicode16 right single quote  - char 8217 - http://www.codetable.net/decimal/8217)

Is there a recommended way to convert all unicode single or double quotes to their ascii equivalents?  Or should I think about processing these strings differently?  I'm not at all concerned about displaying the "smart quotes" to the user ever again.

Thanks

Re: convert from quad-byte single or double quote characters to single byte?

Johan Brichau-2
Paul,

What is the ‘bug’?
People can submit all kinds of unicode characters, so handling these specifically would not make much sense imho.

But I think we need more info your bug, platform and seaside version.

cheers
Johan

> On 26 Dec 2018, at 17:44, PAUL DEBRUICKER <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi -
>
> I'm getting a bug when someone submits a form with smart quotes in it. e.g.
>
> Braun’s
>

> (The quote mark there is a Unicode16 right single quote  - char 8217 - http://www.codetable.net/decimal/8217)
>

> Is there a recommended way to convert all unicode single or double quotes to their ascii equivalents?  Or should I think about processing these strings differently?  I'm not at all concerned about displaying the "smart quotes" to the user ever again.
>

> Thanks

Re: convert from quad-byte single or double quote characters to single byte?

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Johan,

It's not a Seaside bug.  GemStone's version of CharacterCollection>>#match:
(aka #squeakMatch:) doesn't work when instances of Unicode16 strings are
used as the "pattern". At least while searching through instances of
CharacterCollection.  I thought it would be easier to drop or convert the
smart quotes and convert the object to String because the possible search
domain is known/limited.

But you're right as there are whitespace and other characters that someone
may enter.  I'll see what makes sense to do.

Thanks

Paul

Johan Brichau-2 wrote

Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Seaside-General-f86180.html