cookies

Philippe Marschall
Hi

I'm currently reviewing our cookie support. One of the things I noted
is that whereas cookies in WAResponse is a Set of WACookie in the
WARequest is a Dictionary mapping String to String. This allows for
easy programming like:

aReqest cookies keysAndValuesDo: [ :key :value |

but is quite inconsistent. Any opinions on this? How often are cookies
read from the request?

Cheers
Philippe

RE: [Seaside-dev] cookies

Ramon Leon-5
> Hi
>
> I'm currently reviewing our cookie support. One of the things
> I noted is that whereas cookies in WAResponse is a Set of
> WACookie in the WARequest is a Dictionary mapping String to
> String. This allows for easy programming like:
>
> aReqest cookies keysAndValuesDo: [ :key :value |
>
> but is quite inconsistent. Any opinions on this? How often
> are cookies read from the request?
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Not that I use them much, but I'd say it should be cookie objects on both
ends, and while you're looking at it can you explain why setting a cookie
requires a redirect?  What if I want to set several cookies?  What if I want
to drop cookies like breadcrumbs for later use, why should I have to suffer
a redirect now?

Good example, though I don't use cookies in Seaside, to easily hand off
booking requests to our .Net app, I could drop a few cookies and just link
off, but because of how Seaside handles cookies, I took a different
approach.  Setting cookies should act like a queue, they build up and become
effective on the next natural refresh.  Forcing every cookie to become
immediately valid with an immediate redirect seems rather draconian.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: [Seaside-dev] cookies

Philippe Marschall
2008/2/19, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]>:

> > Hi
> >
> > I'm currently reviewing our cookie support. One of the things
> > I noted is that whereas cookies in WAResponse is a Set of
> > WACookie in the WARequest is a Dictionary mapping String to
> > String. This allows for easy programming like:
> >
> > aReqest cookies keysAndValuesDo: [ :key :value |
> >
> > but is quite inconsistent. Any opinions on this? How often
> > are cookies read from the request?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Philippe
>
> Not that I use them much, but I'd say it should be cookie objects on both
> ends, and while you're looking at it can you explain why setting a cookie
> requires a redirect?

It's rather tricky to access the "current response". We need to have
proper contexts and scopes (yes, JEE) else this is never going to fly.

> What if I want to set several cookies?  What if I want
> to drop cookies like breadcrumbs for later use, why should I have to suffer
> a redirect now?
>
> Good example, though I don't use cookies in Seaside, to easily hand off
> booking requests to our .Net app, I could drop a few cookies and just link
> off, but because of how Seaside handles cookies, I took a different
> approach.  Setting cookies should act like a queue, they build up and become
> effective on the next natural refresh.  Forcing every cookie to become
> immediately valid with an immediate redirect seems rather draconian.

Yeah, kinda depends on your definition of "next natural refresh" but
basically, yeah.

(Damn more refactorings ahead)

Cheers
Philippe