copy & paste

otto
Hi,

A very annoying issue I'm having with Pharo 6.0 (running on Ubuntu 16.04) is that if I copy text from other applications (eg. chromium browser), I cannot paste it into Pharo. I get text copied in Pharo from a previous copy.

To work around this, I have a "gedit" text editor open and I paste the text in there. After that, I cut it from the text editor and paste it into pharo.

So, it appears as if this may be an issue with text (/encoding?). Any ideas?

Thanks
Otto

Re: copy & paste

Peter Uhnak
I thought that this was fixed a long time ago?

Try running it with  --textenc utf8  and see if it fixes it.

Peter

Otto

Re: copy & paste

HilaireFernandes
Hi Otto,

I had this issue, but it seems to be gone with P7, at least on the DrGeo
build based on it I can copy and paste from Chromium.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: copy & paste

otto
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, this does not work.

We actually ran it with --encoding UTF-8 --pathenc UTF-8 --textenc UTF-8
I tried utf8, UTF8 and with just --textenc

But I see our installation is relatively old. Will comment on another post here.

[...]

Thanks for the answer.

We use the package installation for ubuntu described here: https://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation-64.

The stable version on opensuse is quite old. And apparently not 6.1. So, does this sadly mean that the paragraph on the top of the page "Zip file" is updated, but the rest of the page not?

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: copy & paste

HilaireFernandes
Le 26/06/2018 à 05:48, Otto Behrens a écrit :

> We use the package installation for ubuntu described
> here: https://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation-64.
>
> The stable version on opensuse is quite old. And apparently not 6.1.
> So, does this sadly mean that the paragraph on the top of the page
> "Zip file" is updated, but the rest of the page not?

Very likely, as the Zip packager (human) is probable not the Suse
packager (another human)

Does the zip package work for you?

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: copy & paste

otto
> The stable version on opensuse is quite old. And apparently not 6.1.
> So, does this sadly mean that the paragraph on the top of the page
> "Zip file" is updated, but the rest of the page not?

Very likely, as the Zip packager (human) is probable not the Suse
packager (another human)

Does the zip package work for you?

I prefer to use the deb package because I make it part of my ubuntu installation.

Does this mean that even the .zip package could be old?

I would just like to generally say that this could influence how people out there see Pharo. If a newbie tries it out, he or she may just get stuck with stupid things like this copy & paste (by trying to copy an example from the Pharo site), only to realise that this is an old version. It gives the impression that the "stable" version is not stable. Old campaigners like me might persist, but most people will give up right here.

I think I should revert to the .zip.