cr compatibility

otto
Hello,

After quite a bit of debugging SoapOpera in GemStone, we discovered
that the Soap service that we call breaks on receiving Character lf
and not cr. And that's because of this:

Stream | cr

"Adds a newline to the output stream."

self nextPut: Character lf.

This should cause problems elsewhere. Is there a way that we can get
this changed?

Cheers
Otto

Re: cr compatibility

Dale Henrichs
Otto,

I agree that it probably isn't a good idea to override Stream>>cr. I
can't guess what might go haywire, but I assume that there would be at
least a couple of surprises there.

For GemStone3.0 we have not made a final decision ... yet so I can't
promise one way or the other.

If you happen to be using the Ansi/Read/Write/ReadWrite/Stream classes
(or Grease, which uses those classes), then I would say it is correct to
add the #cr method implemented as putting a CR on the stream...

FWIW, the ANSI standard doesn't specify the behavior for Stream>>cr, so
it is unfortunate that the difference exists ...

Dale