crazy thought

Dale Henrichs
playing with minimal loads of Seaside3.0 (i.e., no browser loaded and
sometimes no applications registered) I had a crazy thought that when
you get the '/seaside not found' that the list of actual application
urls are listed ... telling you what urls you can use ...

It's crazy but without the application browser, it's a little bit of
work to figure out what you can load ... especially useful for me would
be the 'there are no applications registered' variant:)

Dale

Re: crazy thought

Julian Fitzell-2
It's been my intention for a while to make Dispatcher know how to
render a listing of its handlers so we didn't need the Browse
application. This would need to allow enabling/disabling and probably
configuration like the WAFileLibrary listing so it can do text/html
variants. I can't remember if I opened an issue for that, but of
course I haven't got around to implementing it. It would also handle
its own (optional?) redirection from "foo" to "foo/" and of course
enabling listing would be mutually exclusive with having a default
handler specified.

Mind you, I was only thinking of that for when you hit the Dispatcher
directly, not for when you request an entry that doesn't exist. I
guess I can imagine the 404 contents including a listing of available
sub-handlers... again I guess that would need to be configurable on
and off. Is that getting too complex?

Julian

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> playing with minimal loads of Seaside3.0 (i.e., no browser loaded and
> sometimes no applications registered) I had a crazy thought that when you
> get the '/seaside not found' that the list of actual application urls are
> listed ... telling you what urls you can use ...
>
> It's crazy but without the application browser, it's a little bit of work to
> figure out what you can load ... especially useful for me would be the
> 'there are no applications registered' variant:)
>
> Dale

Re: crazy thought

Dale Henrichs
It does seem to be getting too complex ... without the browser, it isn't
easy to figure out what url to hit ... I loaded the Seaside-Examples on
top of the Base (no Browser) and didn't know what apps were available
until I inspected 'WADispatcher default' and even then I had a false
start or two ...

Perhaps it could be as simple as the default 404 message lists the
available apps and their urls. the 404 message is something that folks
would want to customize before they went into production anyway, so it
would be unlikely to overlooked on your way to production (useful to
find out if you accidentally had applications hanging around you'd be
inclined to notice that too.

Dale

Julian Fitzell wrote:

> It's been my intention for a while to make Dispatcher know how to
> render a listing of its handlers so we didn't need the Browse
> application. This would need to allow enabling/disabling and probably
> configuration like the WAFileLibrary listing so it can do text/html
> variants. I can't remember if I opened an issue for that, but of
> course I haven't got around to implementing it. It would also handle
> its own (optional?) redirection from "foo" to "foo/" and of course
> enabling listing would be mutually exclusive with having a default
> handler specified.
>
> Mind you, I was only thinking of that for when you hit the Dispatcher
> directly, not for when you request an entry that doesn't exist. I
> guess I can imagine the 404 contents including a listing of available
> sub-handlers... again I guess that would need to be configurable on
> and off. Is that getting too complex?
>
> Julian
>
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> playing with minimal loads of Seaside3.0 (i.e., no browser loaded and
>> sometimes no applications registered) I had a crazy thought that when you
>> get the '/seaside not found' that the list of actual application urls are
>> listed ... telling you what urls you can use ...
>>
>> It's crazy but without the application browser, it's a little bit of work to
>> figure out what you can load ... especially useful for me would be the
>> 'there are no applications registered' variant:)
>>
>> Dale

Re: crazy thought

Julian Fitzell-2
I dunno... I'm reluctant to expose that information by default just to
allow for a case of someone who (a) has a minimal install and (b)
doesn't know what is in it.

The OB tools provide a way to browse the handlers as do the web tools.
Maybe we just need a slightly better API on WAAdmin to expose that
information. I think it's reasonable to expect you to have *some* set
of tools installed if you want a convenient way to work with the
install.

Julian

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It does seem to be getting too complex ... without the browser, it isn't
> easy to figure out what url to hit ... I loaded the Seaside-Examples on top
> of the Base (no Browser) and didn't know what apps were available until I
> inspected 'WADispatcher default' and even then I had a false start or two
>
> Perhaps it could be as simple as the default 404 message lists the available
> apps and their urls. the 404 message is something that folks would want to
> customize before they went into production anyway, so it would be unlikely
> to overlooked on your way to production (useful to find out if you
> accidentally had applications hanging around you'd be inclined to notice
> that too.
>
> Dale
>

> Julian Fitzell wrote:
>>
>> It's been my intention for a while to make Dispatcher know how to
>> render a listing of its handlers so we didn't need the Browse
>> application. This would need to allow enabling/disabling and probably
>> configuration like the WAFileLibrary listing so it can do text/html
>> variants. I can't remember if I opened an issue for that, but of
>> course I haven't got around to implementing it. It would also handle
>> its own (optional?) redirection from "foo" to "foo/" and of course
>> enabling listing would be mutually exclusive with having a default
>> handler specified.
>>
>> Mind you, I was only thinking of that for when you hit the Dispatcher
>> directly, not for when you request an entry that doesn't exist. I
>> guess I can imagine the 404 contents including a listing of available
>> sub-handlers... again I guess that would need to be configurable on
>> and off. Is that getting too complex?
>>
>> Julian
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> playing with minimal loads of Seaside3.0 (i.e., no browser loaded and
>>> sometimes no applications registered) I had a crazy thought that when you
>>> get the '/seaside not found' that the list of actual application urls are
>>> listed ... telling you what urls you can use ...
>>>
>>> It's crazy but without the application browser, it's a little bit of work
>>> figure out what you can load ... especially useful for me would be the
>>> 'there are no applications registered' variant:)
>>>
>>> Dale

Re: crazy thought

Dale Henrichs
Julian Fitzell wrote:
> I dunno... I'm reluctant to expose that information by default just to
> allow for a case of someone who (a) has a minimal install and (b)
> doesn't know what is in it.

That's one of the reasons that I figured it was a crazy thought.

On the other hand, there's an awful lot of code that gets loaded and it
is asking a fair amount for folks to know everything that gets loaded
especially when things are still in flux.

I ran into the issue and assumed that I might be pretty close to the
first person to run into that problem and assumed that I won't be the
last...

> The OB tools provide a way to browse the handlers as do the web tools.
> Maybe we just need a slightly better API on WAAdmin to expose that
> information. I think it's reasonable to expect you to have *some* set
> of tools installed if you want a convenient way to work with the
> install.

OB tools for production would fill the bill ... and they could be added
to the Base group (and even opened by default) ...

Dale

Re: crazy thought

Julian Fitzell-2
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:25 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Julian Fitzell wrote:
>>
>> I dunno... I'm reluctant to expose that information by default just to
>> allow for a case of someone who (a) has a minimal install and (b)
>> doesn't know what is in it.
>
> That's one of the reasons that I figured it was a crazy thought.
>
> On the other hand, there's an awful lot of code that gets loaded and it is
> asking a fair amount for folks to know everything that gets loaded
> especially when things are still in flux.
>
> I ran into the issue and assumed that I might be pretty close to the first
> person to run into that problem and assumed that I won't be the last...

Well, I do think Dispatchers should list their contents by default
when no child is specified in the URL and no default has been
provided. This guarantees you would see something when you go to / at
least. It's only the 404 that I'm not so sure about.

>> The OB tools provide a way to browse the handlers as do the web tools.
>> Maybe we just need a slightly better API on WAAdmin to expose that
>> information. I think it's reasonable to expect you to have *some* set
>> of tools installed if you want a convenient way to work with the
>> install.
>
> OB tools for production would fill the bill ... and they could be added to
> the Base group (and even opened by default) ...

I think we load Tools in base so I don't have a problem with including
OB-Tools in theory (on platforms that have OB obviously), but I'm not
sure about pulling in OB if the image doesn't already have it?

Julian

Re: crazy thought

Dale Henrichs
Julian Fitzell wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:25 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Julian Fitzell wrote:
>>> I dunno... I'm reluctant to expose that information by default just to
>>> allow for a case of someone who (a) has a minimal install and (b)
>>> doesn't know what is in it.
>> That's one of the reasons that I figured it was a crazy thought.
>>
>> On the other hand, there's an awful lot of code that gets loaded and it is
>> asking a fair amount for folks to know everything that gets loaded
>> especially when things are still in flux.
>>
>> I ran into the issue and assumed that I might be pretty close to the first
>> person to run into that problem and assumed that I won't be the last...
>
> Well, I do think Dispatchers should list their contents by default
> when no child is specified in the URL and no default has been
> provided. This guarantees you would see something when you go to / at
> least. It's only the 404 that I'm not so sure about.
>
>>> The OB tools provide a way to browse the handlers as do the web tools.
>>> Maybe we just need a slightly better API on WAAdmin to expose that
>>> information. I think it's reasonable to expect you to have *some* set
>>> of tools installed if you want a convenient way to work with the
>>> install.
>> OB tools for production would fill the bill ... and they could be added to
>> the Base group (and even opened by default) ...
>
> I think we load Tools in base so I don't have a problem with including
> OB-Tools in theory (on platforms that have OB obviously), but I'm not
> sure about pulling in OB if the image doesn't already have it?

That's the rub isn't it ... If the dispatcher listed their contents,
then that would scratch my itch.

Then the decision about bringing in OB would be up to the developer (as
it is now)...

Dale

Re: crazy thought

Philippe Marschall
2010/7/13 Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]>:
> It's been my intention for a while to make Dispatcher know how to
> render a listing of its handlers so we didn't need the Browse
> application. This would need to allow enabling/disabling and probably
> configuration like the WAFileLibrary listing so it can do text/html
> variants. I can't remember if I opened an issue for that, but of
> course I haven't got around to implementing it. It would also handle
> its own (optional?) redirection from "foo" to "foo/" and of course
> enabling listing would be mutually exclusive with having a default
> handler specified.

The Dispatcher is in -Core so it can't use Canvas to render HTML.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: crazy thought

Julian Fitzell-2
I know, that's why it would need to be configurable the same as FileLibrary...