create *.pem files with openssl

tstalzer
Hi @All

I finally got a https server working in our system (actually VA
Smalltalk does a real good job here, it was just some &/%(&%(&%&-
messed up code on our side). Now, we want to create own, self-signed
certificates for VA Smalltalk.

I downloaded openssl for Windows and tried to get through the
documentation and I also got some *.pem files. However, if I try to
use them, then Windows just locks up and I get a blue screen
eventually.

Can someone please tell me on how to create *.pem files (cert.pem and
key.pem) to use for VASmalltalk?

Thanks

Thomas

Re: create *.pem files with openssl

tstalzer
Well - I found the answer myself. It is not even that difficult, if
you read the manuals....

The steps to create the certification files are

1. Download openssl for Windows and install it
2. perform the following command from the commandline

    openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 3650 -newkey rsa:1024 -keyout
my_key.pem -out my_cert.pem

3. Answer a bunch of questions about location and your company
4. copy the my_key.pem and my_cert.pem files to the image directory
5. Perform the following command in Smalltalk

     (SstTransport configurationForIdentifier: 'https')
securityConfiguration
                        certificateFilename: 'my_cert.pem';
                        privateKeyFilename: 'my_key.pem';
                        yourself

And voilá, the next time you create a https server socket, the self-
signed certificate will be used (you'll get a bunch of warnings in the
browser that the certificate is not safe, etc.)

Regards

Thomas