creating a browser

Julian Daly-2

Hello

How do I go about creating a browser like the System Browser?

Thanks,

Julian

Re: creating a browser

Lukas Renggli
> How do I go about creating a browser like the System Browser?

The OmniBrowser framework [1] included in 3.9 or available from
SqueakMap is targeted at building new browsers. There is a clone of
the System Browser toolset included, but a lot of other 'quite'
different browsers have been built around this framework. Certainly
worth a try.

Cheers,
Lukas

[1] http://www.wiresong.ca/OmniBrowser

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: creating a browser

Julian Daly-2
Thanks Lucas but how do I use it as there is absolutely no documentation
with it at all. Is there some example code that I might find somewhere?
Thanks,
Julian

> How do I go about creating a browser like the System Browser?

The OmniBrowser framework [1] included in 3.9 or available from
SqueakMap is targeted at building new browsers. There is a clone of
the System Browser toolset included, but a lot of other 'quite'
different browsers have been built around this framework. Certainly
worth a try.

Cheers,
Lukas

[1] http://www.wiresong.ca/OmniBrowser

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: creating a browser

Herbert König
Hello Julian,

JD> How do I go about creating a browser like the SystemBrowser?

this question is a bit general. Is it about how to create a tool that
browses classes or is it about crating a UI that contains of several
lists and text-panes?

If it is the latter:
find PluggableMorphsDemo.pr (or email me for it) this is how to make
Buttons, selection lists and texts work as part of a UI.

Then on www.wiki.squeak.org look for "how to layout submorphs". This
is about: you put a LayoutPolicy into a morph, which will make the
morphs you stick into the first morph layout in a certain way.

Often the first Morph is a SystemWindow. Beware, in spite of its name
TableLayout (which is one possible LayoutPolicy) is either a
horizontal layout or a vertical layout, not a table layout :-)).

Actually this is a big topic and more than I'm willing (maybe more
than I'm able) to write here is needed to cover it.

To browse some code, on the class side of class Inspector locate
openAsMorphOn:withLabel:  where you at least will see that the first
element is a SystemWindow which by addMorh gets added several
Pluggable???Morph's which you'll find in the PluggableMorphsDemo.pr.

Maybe on the Swiki (link above) you can locate the documentation
project and they may have something better.

Keep going and come back with more specific questions!

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

RE: creating a browser

Julian Daly-2
Thanks and will get back to you soon
Julian