creating a subclass in system browser

Sanjay Minni
Hi

is there a way I can create a subclass when I have selected a class in the
System Browser class list (top 2nd panel).

Couldnt see any option - Or is it that no such feature is needed

-----
cheers,
Sanjay
cheers,
Sanjay

Re: creating a subclass in system browser

Sanjay Minni
Thanks

Sorry I missed it.
(I did not expect it in refactorings)

Noury Bouraqadi-2 wrote
> It's already available.
>
> On Apr 27 2021, at 1:03 pm, Sanjay Minni &lt;

> sm@

> &gt; wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> is there a way I can create a subclass when I have selected a class in
>> the
>> System Browser class list (top 2nd panel).
>>
>> Couldnt see any option - Or is it that no such feature is needed
>>

>> -----
>> cheers,
>> Sanjay
>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>>

> Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 13.18.24.png (142K)
> &lt;http://forum.world.st/attachment/5129178/0/Screenshot%202021-04-27%20at%2013.18.24.png&gt;

-----
cheers,
Sanjay
cheers,
Sanjay
kmo

Re: creating a subclass in system browser

kmo
I'm not surprised you missed it. I think it's not very intuitive having it on
the refactoring sub-menu - especially when you already have "new class" on
the right click menu when you select a class. Why not have "create subclass"
there as well?

By the way, did you have trouble working out the "normal" way of creating a
subclass? You select the class definition tab in the browser bottom panel
and press the + (plus) button. It took me ages and ages to work that out. Am
I just slow or is that also counter-intuitive?

cheers,
Sanjay

Re: creating a subclass in system browser

Russ Whaley
Now I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or short-circuiting the correct approach...

When I want to subclass - I simply select the class, and update the class definition page - moving the subclass name (which is the current class) to the class section, and replacing the subclass name with my new subclass name.  I can also take care of instance and class variables I need... just save and everything seems to work just fine.

Is there a reason to need to do this with a menu?  Many times with menu options I'm unclear WHAT it's operating ON :)

Nice to know there are multiple ways to get things done in Pharo!!

[hidden email]
kmo

Re: creating a subclass in system browser

kmo
Doing it by hand is fiddly and error-prone. I know - because that's the way I
used to do it before I realised that the plus button at the top of the
browser bottom panel did it for me. (I had no idea that there was also a
menu option on the refactorings menu). I think you might find the button to
be the better way - I did.

Russ Whaley

cheers,
Sanjay

Re: creating a subclass in system browser

Christopher Fuhrman-4
One thing I find challenging when teaching Pharo to new students -- especially those accustomed to IDEs with files, which is pretty much all of them ;) -- is that there are sometimes menus (depending on the Pharo version) to add a new package, new class, new protocol, but not a new method, etc.

For onboarding new users, I think it's important that these things be intuitive and consistent, especially since updating tutorials takes time. They are super important because inconsistencies become barriers to onboarding new people. My point here is not that a menu option necessarily exists, but that we have a consistent way to explain how to create things even when Pharo changes. Apple used to have 10 commandments for keyboard shortcuts, and I think a similar idea could apply to having consistency in these elements of Pharo.

Here are some related perspectives:

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 at 09:47, kmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Doing it by hand is fiddly and error-prone. I know - because that's the way I
used to do it before I realised that the plus button at the top of the
browser bottom panel did it for me. (I had no idea that there was also a
menu option on the refactorings menu). I think you might find the button to
be the better way - I did.

Christopher Fuhrman, P.Eng., PhD
Professeur au Département de génie logiciel et des technologies de l'information
ÉTS (École de technologie supérieure)

http://profs.etsmtl.ca/cfuhrman
+1 514 396 8638
L'ÉTS est une constituante de l'Université du Québec

Russ Whaley

Re: creating a subclass in system browser

Russ Whaley
Ah, in my v9 version, I see a red circled exclamation point (hovering says 'Refactorings' - which has a menu for the +New subclass.

Good to know!  Thanks!

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 12:17 PM kmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've attached a screenshot. The button appears when you select the class
definition tab in the browser. Press it and you get a dialog to enter a
subclass name then the text
<http://forum.world.st/file/t368903/subclassbutton.png> template for that
subclass appears in the browser class definition tab.

This is from Pharo 9 on Linux (this is an older version 9 - not the very
latest)

Russ Whaley
[hidden email]
kmo

Re: creating a subclass in system browser

kmo
/ a red circled exclamation point (hovering says 'Refactorings' - which has a
menu for the +New subclass./

That sounds completely horrible. Surely that's never going to remain in the
official release.

Re: creating a subclass in system browser

Esteban A. Maringolo
It's been there as a refactoring for a while. Why a refactoring? Who knows...

Esteban A. Maringolo

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 1:59 PM kmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
/ a red circled exclamation point (hovering says 'Refactorings' - which has a
menu for the +New subclass./

That sounds completely horrible. Surely that's never going to remain in the
official release.

Re: creating a subclass in system browser

Please open issue so that your remarks do not get lost.

On 27 Apr 2021, at 17:15, Christopher Fuhrman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16