creating an .EXE with Dolphin--in can and can't be done?

creating an .EXE with Dolphin--in can and can't be done?

Mhg1230
Hello, I have read the archives of dolphin-smalltalk way back,
and can't seem to figure out if it can create an .exe file?
By .exe file, I mean a programmer writing his program and then
taking this .exe file and giving it to someone, and it the person
being able to run the program, without having to download any
browser addons or other files later on.

I read that Dolphin can do this, and then I read that Dolphin
cannot do this, and then I read that people rename a "runtime"
file, to myprogram.exe, and kind of pretend that it is their original
program.

I'm thinking of the viewpoint of someone using Windows 98 or maybe
NT, and just typing myprogram.exe in the command bar and starting it up.

Re: creating an .EXE with Dolphin--in can and can't be done?

Bill Schwab
> Hello, I have read the archives of dolphin-smalltalk way back,
> and can't seem to figure out if it can create an .exe file?
> By .exe file, I mean a programmer writing his program and then
> taking this .exe file and giving it to someone, and it the person
> being able to run the program, without having to download any
> browser addons or other files later on.
>
> I read that Dolphin can do this, and then I read that Dolphin
> cannot do this,

Where did you read that Dolphin cannot generate an .exe?  Perhaps the debate
was over very fine points, or maybe it was regarding changing "the" icon (a
current Dolphin weakness, though surmountable).  It's true that the
executable produced requires the VM to be registered separately, but, that's
not unusual on Windows.  Dolphin most definitely DOES produce executables.

> and then I read that people rename a "runtime"
> file, to myprogram.exe, and kind of pretend that it is their original
> program.

This sounds more like the Smalltalk/V approach to deployment - Dolphin saves
an .exe file on request.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: creating an .EXE with Dolphin--in can and can't be done?

Blair McGlashan
"Mhg1230" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Hello, I have read the archives of dolphin-smalltalk way back,
> and can't seem to figure out if it can create an .exe file?
> By .exe file, I mean a programmer writing his program and then
> taking this .exe file and giving it to someone, and it the person
> being able to run the program, without having to download any
> browser addons or other files later on.
>
> I read that Dolphin can do this, and then I read that Dolphin
> cannot do this, and then I read that people rename a "runtime"
> file, to myprogram.exe, and kind of pretend that it is their original
> program.
>
> I'm thinking of the viewpoint of someone using Windows 98 or maybe
> NT, and just typing myprogram.exe in the command bar and starting it up.

Dolphin Professional can produce .EXEs for both GUI and console (command
line) applications:

See:

http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/EducationCentre4/htm/deployingapplications.ht
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/SizeOfDeployedApplications.htm
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/SystemRequirementsForDeployedAp
plications.htm

(The URLs will probably get line-wrapped).

Regards

Blair

Re: creating an .EXE with Dolphin--in can and can't be done?

Andy Bower
Mhg1230,

Another place to look is the online documentation in the Education Centre:

http://www.object-arts.com/EducationCentre/Education.htm

All of the Dolphin product documentation is available by following the
Online Help link. Take a look in the Developer's Guide under the heading
Deploying Applications:

http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/EducationCentre4/htm/deployingapplications.ht

The short answer to your question is that, yes it can be done in Dolphin
Professional. However, the EXE you create will require the Dolphin virtual
machine DLL (DolphinVM004.DLL) to be distributed and installed with it on
the user's machine. There are very few Windows applications that can
actually be supplied as a single EXE these days and it's really a simple
matter to create a setup program to install your EXE and associated DLL(s)
with one of the free installers available on the web. See the recent thread,
"Deploying Dolphin Smalltalk applications with Inno Setup" (31/3/01) for one
possibility.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com

---
Visit the Dolphin Smalltalk WikiWeb
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/FrontPage.htm
---

Icons in exe

Long Haired David
"Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:9agnbu$s6b$[hidden email]...

> > Hello, I have read the archives of dolphin-smalltalk way back,
> > and can't seem to figure out if it can create an .exe file?
> > By .exe file, I mean a programmer writing his program and then
> > taking this .exe file and giving it to someone, and it the person
> > being able to run the program, without having to download any
> > browser addons or other files later on.
> >
> > I read that Dolphin can do this, and then I read that Dolphin
> > cannot do this,
>
> Where did you read that Dolphin cannot generate an .exe?  Perhaps the
debate
> was over very fine points, or maybe it was regarding changing "the" icon
(a
> current Dolphin weakness, though surmountable

Not being too involved in the Dolphin world but being heavily involved in
VAST, we have a similar problem.

At Totally Objects we have a copy of some very old shareware that enable you
to insert an icon into any executable. We use it to set the progam icon in
the VAST exe that is built for run time.

If anyone would like a copy of the program, please send me e-mail at
[hidden email]

Regards

David Pennington
GO SMALLTALK
Totally Objects
http://www.totallyobjects.com
Totally Objects is an IBM Object Connection Member

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989