[croquet] "Tokamak Physics Engine is now Open Source"

[croquet] "Tokamak Physics Engine is now Open Source"

Darius Clarke
Tokamak Physics Engine is now Open Source
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=448578

The Tokamak Physics Engine is now Open Source. Tokamak is a full feature physics library designed for use in games.

It can be use for creating ragdolls and large amount of stacking objects. It also contain collision detection functions. Tokamak is written by David Lam and it is now Open Source.

Re: [croquet] "Tokamak Physics Engine is now Open Source"

Howard Stearns
Excellent.

Do you know if it provides a way to initialize the random number generator(s)?
Do you know if it produces bit-identical results on all platforms (both
computation and random stream)?

(This doesn't happen on floating point without great care, and it isn't a
requirement for most (non-replicated) games.)

Darius Clarke wrote:

> Tokamak Physics Engine is now Open Source
> http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=448578
>

> The Tokamak Physics Engine is now Open Source. Tokamak is a full feature
> physics library designed for use in games.
>
> It can be use for creating ragdolls and large amount of stacking
> objects. It also contain collision detection functions. Tokamak is
> written by David Lam and it is now Open Source.

Re: [croquet] "Tokamak Physics Engine is now Open Source"

Darius Clarke
I'm not sure...

But if that's what you need, maybe we should look at
AGEIA's PhysX  http://www.ageia.com/developers/api.html
since it's "Designed from the ground up for massively parallel hardware"
It's not Open Source, but I think it's free to develop on if you sign
up. The application can then leverage the hardware containing their
accelerated physics processors.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/viewreply.asp?ID=2969362
"I've never used Tokamak myself, but I imagine it going open-source is
probably because it couldn't compete with the PhysX SDK after it
became free for commercial use on PC."

Re: [croquet] "Tokamak Physics Engine is now Open Source"

Kyle Hamilton
...I'm not in a position where I can install a PhysX accelerator
card.  Nor do I think that the person who made the quote is anything
other than a shill for AGEIA ("I don't know what I'm talking about,
but I've heard so much about PhysX that I forget that there's still
the requirement to have the hardware installed before it can be used.").

There's a lot of good reasons to have software-based physics
computations -- including "ability to reproduce calculations" in the
situations where you have 2 people in an island with PhysX and 7
people without.  While I understand that Croquet is supposed to be
designed around the lack of boundaries that have existed in our
computer power over the past three decades, imposing an additional
(non-standard) hardware requirement is only going to reduce the pool
of developers and eventual adoptors.

-Kyle H

On Jun 1, 2007, at 10:52 AM, Darius Clarke wrote:

> I'm not sure...
>
> But if that's what you need, maybe we should look at
> AGEIA's PhysX  http://www.ageia.com/developers/api.html
> since it's "Designed from the ground up for massively parallel
> hardware"
> It's not Open Source, but I think it's free to develop on if you sign
> up. The application can then leverage the hardware containing their
> accelerated physics processors.
>
> http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/viewreply.asp?ID=2969362
> "I've never used Tokamak myself, but I imagine it going open-source is
> probably because it couldn't compete with the PhysX SDK after it
> became free for commercial use on PC."

Re: [croquet] "Tokamak Physics Engine is now Open Source"

Joshua Gargus-2
*Barely* on topic now...

Valve regularly conducts surveys of the hardware configurations of
people playing their games (I don't know if the survey is manual, or
if they automatically collect stats).  I found it interesting:

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

I had expected the average hardware to be a bit higher-end (these are
gamers, after all).  There is no specific data collected for PhysX
cards, but chances are that if your GPU is a $90 GeForce 6600 (the
most popular card in the survey), you're not spending $150 for
PhysX.  From my own experience, I would say that the average computer
running Croquet is even more modest.

This  branch of the topic started with the notion that PhysX might be
a good match for Croquet due to the ability to replicate computations
identically.  I agree with Kyle's point, and in addition, I am
skeptical about PhysX's ability to produce the same results on
multiple machines that are quite possible running different versions
of the drivers (wow, back on topic after all!).  I am curious in
seeing an analysis of how Tokamak compares with ODE with respect to
determinism, both out-of-the-box, and in terms of how difficult it
would be to modify one or the other to meet Croquet's requirements.

Josh

On Jun 3, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Kyle Hamilton wrote:

> ...I'm not in a position where I can install a PhysX accelerator
> card.  Nor do I think that the person who made the quote is
> anything other than a shill for AGEIA ("I don't know what I'm
> talking about, but I've heard so much about PhysX that I forget
> that there's still the requirement to have the hardware installed
> before it can be used.").
>
> There's a lot of good reasons to have software-based physics
> computations -- including "ability to reproduce calculations" in
> the situations where you have 2 people in an island with PhysX and
> 7 people without.  While I understand that Croquet is supposed to
> be designed around the lack of boundaries that have existed in our
> computer power over the past three decades, imposing an additional
> (non-standard) hardware requirement is only going to reduce the
> pool of developers and eventual adoptors.
>
> -Kyle H
>
> On Jun 1, 2007, at 10:52 AM, Darius Clarke wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure...
>>
>> But if that's what you need, maybe we should look at
>> AGEIA's PhysX  http://www.ageia.com/developers/api.html
>> since it's "Designed from the ground up for massively parallel
>> hardware"
>> It's not Open Source, but I think it's free to develop on if you sign
>> up. The application can then leverage the hardware containing their
>> accelerated physics processors.
>>
>> http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/viewreply.asp?ID=2969362
>> "I've never used Tokamak myself, but I imagine it going open-
>> source is
>> probably because it couldn't compete with the PhysX SDK after it
>> became free for commercial use on PC."

Re: [croquet] "Tokamak Physics Engine is now Open Source"

David P. Reed
There are really two issues: 1) determinism, and 2) bit identicalness.

(2) is problematic because of C compilers and incompatible floating
point standards in many cases.  (1) is easier because one can just
isolate the real-time and cpu clocks, and use a standard random number
generator.

One should be able to solve (2) just by murdering the guys who write C
language math standards that treat floating point numbers as trivialities.

I have spent a number of years in my career doing Numerical Analysis,
and the compiler vendors are the enemy of good numerical code.   They
seem to think that the IEEE floating point standard is a joke.