dbxtalk working on pharo 3.0

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I just retried DBXTalk, and it now magically works!

Does anyone know why? :)

I did this:
Gofer new
smalltalkhubUser: 'DBXTalk' project: 'DBXTalkDriver';
package: 'ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver';
load.
#ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver asClass loadBleedingEdge.

Anyway, the only glitch I found is that the OpenDBX current wrongly returns "NBPharoOpenDBX class" instead of the instance.

I could not figure out where the initialization bug comes from, but I worked around it with:
NBPharoOpenDBX installAsCurrent.

I tested the functionality with an Oracle backend, and it just worked.

Thanks!

Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: dbxtalk working on pharo 3.0

Guillermo Polito

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I just retried DBXTalk, and it now magically works!

Does anyone know why? :)

magic ;)

I did this:
Gofer new
smalltalkhubUser: 'DBXTalk' project: 'DBXTalkDriver';
package: 'ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver';
load.
#ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver asClass loadBleedingEdge.

Anyway, the only glitch I found is that the OpenDBX current wrongly returns "NBPharoOpenDBX class" instead of the instance.

I could not figure out where the initialization bug comes from, but I worked around it with:
NBPharoOpenDBX installAsCurrent.

Arghh, yes. I hate the initialization part of it. It's a mess.

I tested the functionality with an Oracle backend, and it just worked.

Good to know that nothing got broken (until we have full CI support :D)

Thanks!

to you for testing :)

Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: dbxtalk working on pharo 3.0

Michael Roland

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:26:55 AM UTC-5, Tudor Girba wrote:
Hi,

I just retried DBXTalk, and it now magically works!

Does anyone know why? :)

I did this:
Gofer new
smalltalkhubUser: 'DBXTalk' project: 'DBXTalkDriver';
package: 'ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver';
load.
#ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver asClass loadBleedingEdge.

Anyway, the only glitch I found is that the OpenDBX current wrongly returns "NBPharoOpenDBX class" instead of the instance.

I could not figure out where the initialization bug comes from, but I worked around it with:
NBPharoOpenDBX installAsCurrent.

I tested the functionality with an Oracle backend, and it just worked.

Thanks!

Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

I tried DBXTalk today on Pharo 3 and got the NBPharoOpenDBX class error too.
This is my understanding of what causes the error.

The value returned by OpenDBX class>>#current is initialized in ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver>>#setNBOpenDBX.

#setNBOpenDBX has one line:
  (Smalltalk at: #OpenDBX) current: (Smalltalk at: #NBPharoOpenDBX).

This sets OpenDBX Current to an NBPharoOpenDBX class instead of an NBPharoOpenDBX instance.

Changing the statement to:
  (Smalltalk at: #NBPharoOpenDBX) installAsCurrent

indirectly sets OpenDBX Current to an instance of NBPharoOpenDBX so that
OpenDBX class>>#current will correctly return an instance of NBPharoOpenDBX.

Using OpenDBX class>>#installAsCurrent is needed because the OpenDBX class has
two class variables: CurrentLibraryFactory and Current.
CurrentLibraryFactory stores a class and Current stores an instance of that class.
The only way to set CurrentLibraryFactory is with the OpenDBX class>>#installAsCurrent method.
Using OpenDBX class>>#current: to set the instance directly can leave the CurrentLibraryFactory and Current variables out of sync.

Re: dbxtalk working on pharo 3.0

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Michael Roland <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks! Michael was this committed to the repo?

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: dbxtalk working on pharo 3.0

Michael Roland
No, the change has not been committed. No one else has verified that this change works. It works for me.

The change to the doit method performs the step that Tudor Girba mentioned in the first post: NBPharoOpenDBX installAsCurrent. So I think the change is correct.
 If someone will verify that the change works on their system, I will ask for permission to commit the change.

On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:28:11 AM UTC-4, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Michael Roland <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="wQ7dZvWZmh4J" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">mrolan...@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi!

I'd love to write a test along with the fix, so we can improve the CI infrastructure I set up (see post "[ANN] DBXTalk CI available").

Which is your smalltalkhub user so I give you commit grants?

Guille

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Michael Roland <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

My user name on SmallTalkHub is mroland.
I have tested the change to ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver on Pharo3 and Pharo2..
I would like to commit the change to SmallTalkHub.

Thanks

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Michael Roland <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="t68oyOSX33cJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">mrolan...@...> wrote: