debugger evaluator tab for temporary variables

debugger evaluator tab for temporary variables

Ben Coman
A minor irritation with the debugger is that the [Evaluator] tab is
only for the object of the selected instance variable.

IIUC, to write a snippet of code using a local variable you must edit
the code of the method, which dirties it.  I've lived with this, but
thinking of newcomer first impressions for Pharo 6, an [Evaluator] tab
next to the existing [Variables] tab with access to the whole method
scope would be really nice.

cheers -ben

Re: debugger evaluator tab for temporary variables

Tudor Girba-2
Good point.

Please open an issue for this and add Andrei and I to it.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Problem solving should be focused on describing
the problem in a way that makes the solution obvious."

Re: debugger evaluator tab for temporary variables

Denis Kudriashov

A minor irritation with the debugger is that the [Evaluator] tab is
only for the object of the selected instance variable.

Evaluator appears only when you select something in table. It could be any object which can have inst vars with same names as temps.
Do you won't this behaviour when "self" is selected?
In that case newbies can ask why temps are not available when other objects are selected.

Re: debugger evaluator tab for temporary variables

Denis Kudriashov

Do you won't

Ah, I still sleep. Do you want? :)

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> A minor irritation with the debugger is that the [Evaluator] tab is
>> only for the object of the selected instance variable.
>

> Evaluator appears only when you select something in table. It could be any
> object which can have inst vars with same names as temps.
> Do you wan't this behaviour when "self" is selected?
> In that case newbies can ask why temps are not available when other objects
> are selected.

Seems like you misread my idea (3am syndrome again?)
You wouldn't need to select "self".
The idea is in the first (left hand) pane you would flip from the
[Variables] to an [Evaluator] tab
this hiding all variables but having access to all the same ones from
the [Evaluator] tab.

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19720/Add-method-scoped-Evaluator-tab-to-debugger

cheers -ben