debugger problems?

Tudor Girba
Hi,

From time to time, I seem to get confused in the Debugger because somehow the current selection does not seem to reflect the execution point. Is it just me, or are there others that encountered this problem as well?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: debugger problems?

Luc Fabresse
Hi Doru,

 Yes, I experienced that too.
 But I never track this bug.

#Luc

2011/1/25 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
Hi,

From time to time, I seem to get confused in the Debugger because somehow the current selection does not seem to reflect the execution point. Is it just me, or are there others that encountered this problem as well?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: debugger problems?

Tudor Girba
I am not alone! :)

Anyone else noticed this? I forgot to mention that I am using a Pharo image, not a Core one.

Cheers,
Doru

On 25 Jan 2011, at 14:02, Luc Fabresse wrote:

> Hi Doru,
>
>  Yes, I experienced that too.
>  But I never track this bug.
>
> #Luc
>

> 2011/1/25 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
> Hi,
>
> From time to time, I seem to get confused in the Debugger because somehow the current selection does not seem to reflect the execution point. Is it just me, or are there others that encountered this problem as well?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: debugger problems?

Alexandre Bergel
I also experience a lot of problem with instances variable and guessting its type. Time to time, I cannot type or accept

Alexandre

On 25 Jan 2011, at 10:05, Tudor Girba wrote:

> I am not alone! :)
>
> Anyone else noticed this? I forgot to mention that I am using a Pharo image, not a Core one.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 25 Jan 2011, at 14:02, Luc Fabresse wrote:
>
>> Hi Doru,
>>
>> Yes, I experienced that too.
>> But I never track this bug.
>>
>> #Luc
>>

>> 2011/1/25 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
>> Hi,
>>
>> From time to time, I seem to get confused in the Debugger because somehow the current selection does not seem to reflect the execution point. Is it just me, or are there others that encountered this problem as well?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Every thing should have the right to be different."
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: debugger problems?

Adrian Lienhard
On Jan 25, 2011, at 14:05 , Tudor Girba wrote:

> I am not alone! :)
>
> Anyone else noticed this?

yes

Is it http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=709 ?

Adrian

Re: debugger problems?

Michael Roberts-2
yes as Adrian pointed out debugger highlighting is broken in Pharo.
Has been since the very beginning. what we need ideally is a set of
test cases describing the desired behaviour. i struggled to simulate
this, i am not sure what a good test harness is for the debugger.
ideally the highlighting can be tested without the debugger (i.e
without the necessary processes and activations), just triggering the
necessary execution machinery that calculates highlight offsets
(intervals). With a good set of tests we could then better compare
Squeak and Pharo implementations because a lot of fixes go into squeak
and we need to harvest them over here. any help of course welcome in
this area. I poke at it now and then....

cheers,
Mike

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2011, at 14:05 , Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> I am not alone! :)
>>
>> Anyone else noticed this?
>
> yes
>
> Is it http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=709 ?
>
> Adrian

Re: debugger problems?

Eliot Miranda-2

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Michael Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes as Adrian pointed out debugger highlighting is broken in Pharo.
Has been since the very beginning. what we need ideally is a set of
test cases describing the desired behaviour. i struggled to simulate
this, i am not sure what a good test harness is for the debugger.
ideally the highlighting can be tested without the debugger (i.e
without the necessary processes and activations), just triggering the
necessary execution machinery that calculates highlight offsets
(intervals). With a good set of tests we could then better compare
Squeak and Pharo implementations because a lot of fixes go into squeak
and we need to harvest them over here. any help of course welcome in
this area. I poke at it now and then....

Take a look at the ClosureCompilerTest>>testSourceRangeAccessForClosureBytecodeInjectInto which tests the source ranges (that the debugger uses to highlight) for all pcs in the inject:into: method.