debugging in workspace - howto

Günther Schmidt
Hi,

how can I "debug" a statement from within a workspace?

Let's say I'd wanted to "see" what's happening when I execute/evaluate

        acceptanceMonitor callBlock: [serverSocket accpect]

from within a workspace.

How can I do that?

Günther

Re: debugging in workspace - howto

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Günther,

> how can I "debug" a statement from within a workspace?
>
> Let's say I'd wanted to "see" what's happening when I execute/evaluate
>
>     acceptanceMonitor callBlock: [serverSocket accpect]
>
> from within a workspace.
>
> How can I do that?

You can try inserting nil halt somewhere, or just select it and use
Debug It vs. Evalate/Print.  However, there can be a LOT of code in the
sockets world, and it is getting to be one of those quasi-real-time
problems (mouse movement is perhaps the worst) that can be very
difficult to debug.  You might consider using Trace to output text to
DebugView (www.sysinternals.com); you can search the archives for
OutputDebugString(), but note that Trace provides an easier way to
accomplish the same end.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Bill Schwab schrieb:

> Günther,
>
>> how can I "debug" a statement from within a workspace?
>>
>> Let's say I'd wanted to "see" what's happening when I execute/evaluate
>>
>>     acceptanceMonitor callBlock: [serverSocket accpect]
>>
>> from within a workspace.
>>
>> How can I do that?
>

> You can try inserting nil halt somewhere, or just select it and use
> Debug It vs. Evalate/Print.  However, there can be a LOT of code in the

Bill,
thanks,
is there a Shorthand ( CTL + ????) for Debug it?

> sockets world, and it is getting to be one of those quasi-real-time
> problems (mouse movement is perhaps the worst) that can be very
> difficult to debug.

Actually in this case I just wanted to see if this is doing more than
just "setting" the block, I wanted to know if it's also evaluating the
block.

  You might consider using Trace to output text to
> DebugView (www.sysinternals.com); you can search the archives for
> OutputDebugString(), but note that Trace provides an easier way to
> accomplish the same end.

I will, thank for the tip!

Günther

> Have a good one,
>
> Bill

Re: debugging in workspace - howto

Ian Bartholomew-19
Günther,

> is there a Shorthand ( CTL + ????) for Debug it?

According to the "Workspace/Debug It" menu option the keypress is F11.

You can also get a list of all the key bindings from the Help menu -
"Help/Key Bindings"

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.