default menu cross entities

Stéphane Ducasse
Could it be possible that anywhere we get a class (either as mondrian) or list or whatever
we could get a default navigation menus offering all the navigation facilities?

Because now we arrive to some dead-ends.

Re: default menu cross entities

Tudor Girba
Hi Stef,

There is a default menu. Only that navigation is not in the menu. If
you want to get to all navigation paths, you have to open in Moose and
then you get the Finder.

Cheers,
Doru

On 3 May 2010, at 17:22, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Could it be possible that anywhere we get a class (either as
> mondrian) or list or whatever
> we could get a default navigation menus offering all the navigation
> facilities?
>
> Because now we arrive to some dead-ends.
>
> Stef

www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

On May 3, 2010, at 7:36 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> There is a default menu. Only that navigation is not in the menu. If you want to get to all navigation paths, you have to open in Moose and then you get the Finder.

that does not answer my problem. I ended to situation where I see a node and I get the class name but I cannot decide what I want to apply on it
so I'm stuck and I have to go back to the finder and find all class and find the class that I just had under my mouse. So for me having the possibility
to really navigate and not only in the moose finder but on the moose map is missing.

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 3 May 2010, at 17:22, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Could it be possible that anywhere we get a class (either as mondrian) or list or whatever
>> we could get a default navigation menus offering all the navigation facilities?
>>
>> Because now we arrive to some dead-ends.
>>
>> Stef

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: default menu cross entities

Tudor Girba
I do not understand :(.

Using the "Open in Moose" item from the contextual menu of any entity
opens that entity in Moose Finder. There is no looking around for that
class. Once in the Moose Finder you have all possible navigation paths.

Doru

On 3 May 2010, at 20:28, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On May 3, 2010, at 7:36 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> There is a default menu. Only that navigation is not in the menu.
>> If you want to get to all navigation paths, you have to open in
>> Moose and then you get the Finder.
>
> that does not answer my problem. I ended to situation where I see a
> node and I get the class name but I cannot decide what I want to
> apply on it
> so I'm stuck and I have to go back to the finder and find all class
> and find the class that I just had under my mouse. So for me having
> the possibility
> to really navigate and not only in the moose finder but on the moose
> map is missing.
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 3 May 2010, at 17:22, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Could it be possible that anywhere we get a class (either as
>>> mondrian) or list or whatever
>>> we could get a default navigation menus offering all the
>>> navigation facilities?
>>>
>>> Because now we arrive to some dead-ends.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: default menu cross entities

Stéphane Ducasse
Do if I open a distribution map by clicking on a package group....
then I would like to be able to
        click on the large box and get the navigation = other maps for that particular package
        click on a small box and get the navigation = other maps for that particular class

Is it clearer?

On May 3, 2010, at 8:38 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> I do not understand :(.
>
> Using the "Open in Moose" item from the contextual menu of any entity opens that entity in Moose Finder. There is no looking around for that class. Once in the Moose Finder you have all possible navigation paths.
>
> Doru
>

> On 3 May 2010, at 20:28, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On May 3, 2010, at 7:36 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Stef,
>>>
>>> There is a default menu. Only that navigation is not in the menu. If you want to get to all navigation paths, you have to open in Moose and then you get the Finder.
>>
>> that does not answer my problem. I ended to situation where I see a node and I get the class name but I cannot decide what I want to apply on it
>> so I'm stuck and I have to go back to the finder and find all class and find the class that I just had under my mouse. So for me having the possibility
>> to really navigate and not only in the moose finder but on the moose map is missing.
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: default menu cross entities

Tudor Girba
Ahh, in that case this is not a generic problem that you have but a
specific problem with the Distribution Map, because it does not offer
the Moose menu.

For a difference, please check the System Complexity and see if it
works for you.

For everyone's information: To provide the Moose menu at all times you
should use:
- in the Mondrian visualization:
view interaction menu: #mooseMenuMorph.

- in Glamour:
a list actions: [ :list | list selection mooseFinderActions ]

Cheers,
Doru

On 3 May 2010, at 20:42, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Do if I open a distribution map by clicking on a package group....
> then I would like to be able to
> click on the large box and get the navigation = other maps for that
> particular package
> click on a small box and get the navigation = other maps for that
> particular class
>
> Is it clearer?
>

> On May 3, 2010, at 8:38 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> I do not understand :(.
>>
>> Using the "Open in Moose" item from the contextual menu of any
>> entity opens that entity in Moose Finder. There is no looking
>> around for that class. Once in the Moose Finder you have all
>> possible navigation paths.
>>
>> Doru

>>> that does not answer my problem. I ended to situation where I see
>>> a node and I get the class name but I cannot decide what I want to
>>> apply on it
>>> so I'm stuck and I have to go back to the finder and find all
>>> class and find the class that I just had under my mouse. So for me
>>> having the possibility
>>> to really navigate and not only in the moose finder but on the
>>> moose map is missing.

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

www.tudorgirba.com

"We are all great at making mistakes."

Re: default menu cross entities

Stéphane Ducasse
Good
if this is there we should have it all the time on any entity: full navigation
On May 3, 2010, at 8:55 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Ahh, in that case this is not a generic problem that you have but a specific problem with the Distribution Map, because it does not offer the Moose menu.
>
> For a difference, please check the System Complexity and see if it works for you.
>
> For everyone's information: To provide the Moose menu at all times you should use:
> - in the Mondrian visualization:
> view interaction menu: #mooseMenuMorph.
>
> - in Glamour:
> a list actions: [ :list | list selection mooseFinderActions ]
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 3 May 2010, at 20:42, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Do if I open a distribution map by clicking on a package group....
>> then I would like to be able to
>> click on the large box and get the navigation = other maps for that particular package
>> click on a small box and get the navigation = other maps for that particular class
>>
>> Is it clearer?
>>

>> On May 3, 2010, at 8:38 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> I do not understand :(.
>>>
>>> Using the "Open in Moose" item from the contextual menu of any entity opens that entity in Moose Finder. There is no looking around for that class. Once in the Moose Finder you have all possible navigation paths.
>>>
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We are all great at making mistakes."

Re: default menu cross entities

Tudor Girba
Exactly.

Doru

On 3 May 2010, at 22:23, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Good
> if this is there we should have it all the time on any entity: full
> navigation
> On May 3, 2010, at 8:55 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Ahh, in that case this is not a generic problem that you have but a
>> specific problem with the Distribution Map, because it does not
>> offer the Moose menu.
>>
>> For a difference, please check the System Complexity and see if it
>> works for you.
>>
>> For everyone's information: To provide the Moose menu at all times
>> you should use:
>> - in the Mondrian visualization:
>> view interaction menu: #mooseMenuMorph.
>>
>> - in Glamour:
>> a list actions: [ :list | list selection mooseFinderActions ]
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 3 May 2010, at 20:42, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Do if I open a distribution map by clicking on a package group....
>>> then I would like to be able to
>>> click on the large box and get the navigation = other maps for
>>> that particular package
>>> click on a small box and get the navigation = other maps for that
>>> particular class
>>>
>>> Is it clearer?

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "We are all great at making mistakes."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot
be done."

Re: default menu cross entities

jannik laval
I have a problem with the method in Mondrian:

When I invoke it then I add a new line in my menu, this one is not considered.
I do that:

view interaction menu: #mooseMenuMorph.
view interaction item: 'View another thing' action:[ "to do"].

Is there any way to bypass this behavior ?

On May 3, 2010, at 22:30 , Tudor Girba wrote:

> Exactly.
>
> Doru
>

> On 3 May 2010, at 22:23, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Good
>> if this is there we should have it all the time on any entity: full navigation
>> On May 3, 2010, at 8:55 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Ahh, in that case this is not a generic problem that you have but a specific problem with the Distribution Map, because it does not offer the Moose menu.
>>>
>>> For a difference, please check the System Complexity and see if it works for you.
>>>
>>> For everyone's information: To provide the Moose menu at all times you should use:
>>> - in the Mondrian visualization:
>>> view interaction menu: #mooseMenuMorph.
>>>
>>> - in Glamour:
>>> a list actions: [ :list | list selection mooseFinderActions ]
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "We are all great at making mistakes."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

---
Jannik Laval

Re: default menu cross entities

Tudor Girba
That happens because the menuBlock bypasses anything else. A way to
bypass this is to create your own menu morph by adding your action as
an item directly to the mooseMenuMorph.

The reason why this happens is that Mondrian does not offer an Action
as a first class. If it would offer it, then mooseMenu could return
such a structure and then adding to it would be no problem.

Cheers,
Doru

On 7 May 2010, at 09:41, Laval Jannik wrote:

> I have a problem with the method in Mondrian:
>
> When I invoke it then I add a new line in my menu, this one is not
> considered.
> I do that:
>
> view interaction menu: #mooseMenuMorph.
> view interaction item: 'View another thing' action:[ "to do"].
>
> Is there any way to bypass this behavior ?
>
> On May 3, 2010, at 22:30 , Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Exactly.
>>
>> Doru
>>

>> On 3 May 2010, at 22:23, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Good
>>> if this is there we should have it all the time on any entity:
>>> full navigation

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it
>> cannot be done."

> ---
> Jannik Laval

www.tudorgirba.com

"Presenting is storytelling."

Re: default menu cross entities

Alexandre Bergel-4
> That happens because the menuBlock bypasses anything else. A way to
> bypass this is to create your own menu morph by adding your action
> as an item directly to the mooseMenuMorph.
>
> The reason why this happens is that Mondrian does not offer an
> Action as a first class. If it would offer it, then mooseMenu could
> return such a structure and then adding to it would be no problem.

How would you script the thing?

Alexandre

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 7 May 2010, at 09:41, Laval Jannik wrote:
>
>> I have a problem with the method in Mondrian:
>>
>> When I invoke it then I add a new line in my menu, this one is not
>> considered.
>> I do that:
>>
>> view interaction menu: #mooseMenuMorph.
>> view interaction item: 'View another thing' action:[ "to do"].
>>
>> Is there any way to bypass this behavior ?
>>
>> On May 3, 2010, at 22:30 , Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Exactly.
>>>
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it
>>> cannot be done."

>> ---
>> Jannik Laval

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Presenting is storytelling."

Re: default menu cross entities

Tudor Girba
The script would remain pretty much the same, only internally you
would not store a menu morph directly, but just a collection of
actions that have a category (which will translate into menus).

This is similar to what there is now in item:action:, only the item
would have an explicit class not just an association.

The other option would be to not have an either or between items and
morphs (see menuMorphFor:), and always transform the action into a
morph. This is the solution that we adopted in VW. In Glamour we have
the first solution.

Cheers,
Doru

On 7 May 2010, at 18:46, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> That happens because the menuBlock bypasses anything else. A way to
>> bypass this is to create your own menu morph by adding your action
>> as an item directly to the mooseMenuMorph.
>>
>> The reason why this happens is that Mondrian does not offer an
>> Action as a first class. If it would offer it, then mooseMenu could
>> return such a structure and then adding to it would be no problem.
>
> How would you script the thing?
>
> Alexandre
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 7 May 2010, at 09:41, Laval Jannik wrote:
>>
>>> I have a problem with the method in Mondrian:
>>>
>>> When I invoke it then I add a new line in my menu, this one is not
>>> considered.
>>> I do that:
>>>
>>> view interaction menu: #mooseMenuMorph.
>>> view interaction item: 'View another thing' action:[ "to do"].
>>>
>>> Is there any way to bypass this behavior ?

>>> ---
>>> Jannik Laval

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Presenting is storytelling."

www.tudorgirba.com

"No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."