deployment of pharo applications

vikenti
Well, i've got very extensive feedback for i18n of applications, there are few solutions i can use, despite there is no united way embedded into pharo view on application design. That's ok, i can do something for my one taste (i prefer it to be a part of SPEC framework or something like this).

Another stumbling block is application deployment. I've heard about some "Launcher" but ... what is it? what it does? where to get it?
In Cincom VW deployment means:
- get rid of all we don't use in image.
- test image for successful run
- delete all sources (hide it from disassembler)
- lock\hide all excessive menus, tools or any backdoor to launch Smalltalk IDE or execute smaltalk code presented as text.
- pack image and VM together with specified name of main executable.

What can i do with Pharo? Does it have unified method to deploy pharo applications? I didn't find that method, and i ought to do some messy stuff "by hand".

It will be very useful to do some steps in that direction. I want Pharo to be comfortable tool for application development. Like Delphi or C++ (where i came from but don't want to get get back to, after Smalltalk any other platform seems imperfect for me).

Faithfully yours, Vikenti Potapov.

Re: deployment of pharo applications

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 11-11-17 18:58, Викентий Потапов wrote:
> Another stumbling block is application deployment.

You want to start from a minimal image and load everything you need with
a Metacello baseline/configuration. And you want to change some settings
to run without sources. You will run into parts that are not modularized
enough yet and need their baselines to be split up further than they are
now.

The minimal image is rather minimal. See the esug videos

Stephan

Re: deployment of pharo applications

HilaireFernandes
Le 11/11/2017 à 18:58, Викентий Потапов a écrit :
> Well, i've got very extensive feedback for i18n of applications, there are few
You should use the gettext package from PharoExtra, this is the one
Seaside developers maintain. I don't understand why there are
alternative repo for it...

[..]

> What can i do with Pharo? Does it have unified method to deploy pharo applications? I didn't find that method, and i ought to do some messy stuff "by hand".
Of course, you can completely automate your application build.

You can take a look at the DrGeo build scripts there. Part of the image
preparation is done inside the image.
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/files/head:/build/

The application build will not be the part I worry about, but more on the GUI. I don't know how complex is your GUI application but Pharo is now on flux with several competitive GUI frameworks, all in the image (spec, Polymoprh, GT), and forth coming brick/bloc. And depending on the complexity you need, you may not have all you need.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: deployment of pharo applications

Pavel Krivanek-3

[...]

If you follow the standard bootstrapping process but instead of BaselineOfIDE you use BaselineOfMorphic, I will get a usable image without development tools. Good as basis for applications like DrGeo. We are still improving modularity. The recent step was an insclusion of tests that will reject any pull request that makes new package dependencies between system layers.

-- Pavel

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: deployment of pharo applications

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Pavel Krivanek-3 wrote
> The recent step was an insclusion of tests that will
> reject any pull request that makes new package dependencies between system
> layers.

Thanks for this :)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: deployment of pharo applications

Stephane Ducasse-3
On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Викентий Потапов
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, i've got very extensive feedback for i18n of applications, there are few solutions i can use, despite there is no united way embedded into pharo view on application design. That's ok, i can do something for my one taste (i prefer it to be a part of SPEC framework or something like this).
>
> Another stumbling block is application deployment. I've heard about some "Launcher" but ... what is it? what it does? where to get it?

the launcher is an application to manage your images and development.
You can find it at
- http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
(do not use blessed but the latest version of your platform)
we should promote this tool better

> In Cincom VW deployment means:
> - get rid of all we don't use in image.
> - test image for successful run
> - delete all sources (hide it from disassembler)

Until recently in Pharo it was not possible to remove the compiler.
Now we can create an image without the compiler.
We have to continue

> - lock\hide all excessive menus, tools or any backdoor to launch Smalltalk IDE or execute smaltalk code presented as text.

- You should remove and provide something as s replacement for the
UnhandledException defaultAction else you get the debugger.
Now you application should use exception.

For the menu, check the pragma <WorldMenu>

> - pack image and VM together with specified name of main executable.

For this you should use bash or bat files.

> What can i do with Pharo? Does it have unified method to deploy pharo applications? I didn't find that method, and i ought to do some messy stuff "by hand".
>
> It will be very useful to do some steps in that direction. I want Pharo to be comfortable tool for application development. Like Delphi or C++ (where i came from but don't want to get get back to, after Smalltalk any other platform seems imperfect for me).

We want the same but we are not yet there.
I want APPLICATIONS not just code loaded into Pharo.

> Faithfully yours, Vikenti Potapov.

Re: deployment of pharo applications

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
>> Another stumbling block is application deployment. I've heard about some
>> "Launcher" but ... what is it? what it does? where to get it?
> the launcher is an application to manage your images and development.

It may have been clear, but Laucher is to manage multiple development
images, not for deployment (although it uses some tricks that may be useful
for deployment like making the tool fullscreen)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean