development in the IDE - save/recompile?

development in the IDE - save/recompile?

philippeback
Hello,

I've been setting up that latest code and it works on my box for execution.

I've seen that there have been quite some changes on the way things work since the makefiles era.

Now, examples do work, including the googlecharts sample.

My questions are:

1) If I open the class browser, what happens when I change code and do a save (provided I do have a amber server running).

Are things recompiled on the fly or should I recompile the code using amberc?

2) How do I recompile everything at once?

Regards,
Philippe Back

Re: development in the IDE - save/recompile?

NorbertHartl

Am 15.05.2013 um 10:01 schrieb [hidden email]:

Hello,

I've been setting up that latest code and it works on my box for execution.

I've seen that there have been quite some changes on the way things work since the makefiles era.

Now, examples do work, including the googlecharts sample.

My questions are:

1) If I open the class browser, what happens when I change code and do a save (provided I do have a amber server running).

Are things recompiled on the fly or should I recompile the code using amberc?

If you open the class browser, alter a method and save it the smalltalk code is directly compiled to javascript. To this point it is has nothing to do with a server that is all on the client. If you save your package however all javascript and smalltalk code is put on the server. There you can link the javascript code into your html page and use it directly without smalltalk code.

amberc is only used on the server.

Norbert

2) How do I recompile everything at once?

Regards,
Philippe Back

Re: development in the IDE - save/recompile?

philippeback
Thanks. Indeed, I forgot about the package save thing.

One thing worth noting for Helios and OSX: Ctrl-Space is the shortcut for Spotlight, so it is perfectly annoying as a shortcut as it doesn't work at all...

I am demoing Amber at Google IO Extended Brussels this evening, so I want to have things ready enough. I just have 5-7 minutes so, that's no big deal, but is a good showcase since we do use Google tech: node.js/V8, Googlecharts, Chrome, ...

The presentations are a bit dated, they are showing a ton of old remnants. If I do have enough time, I'll make an updated one.

Cheers,
Phil

2013/5/15 Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>

[...]

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi Phil,

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. Indeed, I forgot about the package save thing.

One thing worth noting for Helios and OSX: Ctrl-Space is the shortcut for Spotlight, so it is perfectly annoying as a shortcut as it doesn't work at all...

I guess you mean Command+Space.
Otherwise you have probably changed the default mapping.
Ctrl+Space works for me without issues.

I am demoing Amber at Google IO Extended Brussels this evening, so I want to have things ready enough. I just have 5-7 minutes so, that's no big deal, but is a good showcase since we do use Google tech: node.js/V8, Googlecharts, Chrome, ...

The presentations are a bit dated, they are showing a ton of old remnants. If I do have enough time, I'll make an updated one.

That would be cool.
But maybe you can ask Nico if he has a more recent one.

Cheers,
Phil

Best,
Manfred

[...]

No, Cmd-space is for OSX Snow Leopard. Lion and next ones do use Ctrl-Space.

I should be in touch with Nico today.

Regards,

Phil

Am 15.05.2013 um 11:27 schrieb "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:

No, Cmd-space is for OSX Snow Leopard. Lion and next ones do use Ctrl-Space.

Hmm, I have 10.8.3 and it is cmd-space in my case.

Norbert

[...]

Lion here and Ctrl-Space.

Maybe there is a default somewhere.

I'll check the code to see where the shortcut lives inside amber then.

[...]

One more: e.g. in TwitterWall sample.

What's the difference between TwitterWall.js and TwitterWall.deploy.js ?

I see that unescape thing but what is this all for?

Sorry for the newb questions...
[...]

Herby Vojčík
.deploy contains the same code but no unnecessary metadata. It is aimed for deploying the final product as it loads faster. Plain .js contains all metadata that allows for development.

Probably in the future there will only be one .js (the biggest metadata is the smalltalk source, which can be obtain from .st, for example; now everything in IDE is taken from (non-deploy).js; .st file is just the byproduct).

Herby

[hidden email] wrote:

> [...]

>>                 your package however all javascript and smalltalk
>>                 code is put on the se
rver. There you can link the

>>                 javascript code into your html page and use it
>>                 directly without smalltalk code.
>>
>>                 amberc is only used on the server.
>>
>>                 Norbert
>>

>>>                 2) How do I recompile everything at once?
>>>
>>>                 Regards,
>>>                 Philippe Back
>>>
>>>                 --
>>>

>>                 --
>>                 emails from it, send an email to
>>                 [hidden email]
>>                 <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>.
>>                 For more options, visit
>>                 https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>

>>             --
>>

>>         --
>>

>>     --

Re: development in the IDE - save/recompile?

Nicolas Petton
About the shortcut,

I have spotlight on cmd+space, so I didn't have this problem :) Do you want to rebind it to something else?
Later Helios will have settings for that.

Cheers,
Nico

On May 15, 2013, at 11:17 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I changed that in the prefs, no problem.

What is Ctrl-Space doing in Helios BTW, I typed it but nothing happened?

Also, is there any support for references and code navigation? I see some things but it is not obvious to me.

Phil

2013/5/15 Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>
[...]

i see that the deploy is automatically updated when I do commit a package.

Other than that, the REPL is giving me trouble. This is what I do get:

[PhilMac:~/Documents/Smalltalk/2-MyWorkspaces/workspaceAmber/amber philippeback$] bin/amber
amber >> 1+1
nil>>nil
nil>>nil
nil>>nil
nil>>nil
nil>>nil
nil>>nil
a Repl>>eval:
nil>>nil
nil>>doesNotUnderstand:
nil does not understand #new
amber >>

??? WTF ???

Phil

                <mailto:[hidden email]>:

[...]

                --                 You received this message because you are subscribed
                to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
[...]

    send an email to amber-lang+unsubscribe@g
ooglegroups.com
    <mailto:[hidden email]>.

Re: development in the IDE - save/recompile?

Herby Vojčík
I think I should changed that wtfying "nil>>nil" to something more human readable (nil >> nil most often means calling block context; of course it can also mean receiver nil and selector nil but that's unlikely).

[hidden email] wrote:

> [...]

>             is a good
>                         showcase since we do use Google tech: node.js/V8,
>                         Googlecharts, Chrome,

>                         The presentations are a bit dated, they are
>             showing a ton
>                         of old remnants. If I do have enough time,
>             I'll make an
>                         updated one.
>

>                     That would be cool.
>                     But maybe you can ask Nico if he has a more recent
>             one.
>
>                         Cheers,
>                         Phil
>

>                     Best,
>                     Manfred
>

>                         2013/5/15 Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]
>             <mailto:[hidden email]>
>             <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>
>

>                             Am 15.05.2013 um 10:01 schrieb
>             [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>             <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:

that latest code

>                 and it works
>                                 on my box for executio
>
>     n.
>

>                                 I've seen that there have been quite
>                 some changes on
>                                 the way things work since the
>                 makefiles era.
>
>                                 Now, examples do work, including the
>                 googlecharts
>                                 sample.
>
>                                 My questions are:
>
>                                 1) If I open the class browser, what
>                 happens when I
>                                 change code and do a save (provided I
>                 do have a
>                                 amber server running).
>
>                                 Are things recompiled on the fly or
>                 should I
>                                 recompile the code using amberc?
>

>                             If yo
u open the class browser, alter a

>             method and
>                             save it the smalltalk code is directly
>             compiled to
>                             javascript. To this point it is has
>             nothing to do
>                             with a server that is all on the client.
>             If you save
>                             your package however all javascript and
>             smalltalk
>                             code is put on the se
>
>     rver. There you can link the
>
>                             javascript code into your html page and use it
>                             directly without smalltalk code.
>
>                             amberc is only used on the server.
>
>                             Norbert
>

>                                 2) How do I recompile everything at once?
>
>                                 Regards,
>                                 Philippe Back
>
>                                 --
               You received this

>                 message because you are subscribed
>                                 to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
>                 stop receiving
>                                 emails from it, send an email to
>                 [hidden email]
>                 <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>
>                 <mailto:[hidden email]
>                 <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>>.
>                                 For more options, visit
>                 https://groups.google.com/__groups/opt_out
>                 <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
>

>                             --                 You received this
>             message because you are s
>
>     ubscribed
>
>                             to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.

                         To unsubscribe from this group and stop

>             receiving
>                             emails from it, send an email to
>             [hidden email]
>             <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>
>             <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]
>             <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>__>.
>                             For more options, visit
>             https://groups.google.com/__groups/opt_out
>             <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
>

>                         --             You received this message
>             because you are subscribed to
>                         the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
>                         To unsubscribe from this group and stop
>             receiving emails
>                         from it, send an email to
>             [hidden email]
>             <mailto:a
mber-lang%[hidden email]>

>             <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]
>             <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>__>.
>                         For more options, visit
>             https://groups.google.com/__groups/opt_out
>             <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
>

>                     --         You received this message because you are
>
>     subscribed to the
>
>                     Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
>                     To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving
>             emails from
>                     it, send an email to
>             [hidden email]
>             <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>
>             <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]
>             <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>__>.
>                     For more options, visit
>             https://groups.googl
e.com/__groups/opt_out

>             <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
>

>                 --     You received this message because you are
>             subscribed to the
>                 Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
>                 To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving
>             emails from it,
>                 send an email to
>             [hidden email]
>             <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>
>             <mailto:[hidden email]
>             <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>>.
>                 For more options, visit
>             https://groups.google.com/__groups/opt_out
>             <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
>

>             --     You received this message because you are
>         subscribed to the Google
>             Groups "amber-lang" group.
>             To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving
 emails

>         from it,
>             send an email to amber-lang+unsubscribe@g
>
>     ooglegroups.com <http://ooglegroups.com>
>
>         <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]
>         <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>__>.
>             For more options, visit
>         https://groups.google.com/__groups/opt_out
>         <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
>

>         --

Re: development in the IDE - save/recompile?

philippeback
But so, how does one get this REPL behaving? Can't I do a 1+1 ?

Puzzled me.

[hidden email] wrote:
[...]

            <mailto:[hidden email]__googlemail.com
            <mailto:[hidden email]>>>

                    Hi Phil,

                    On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM,

        it, send an email to amber-lang+unsubscribe@__googlegroups.com
        <mailto:[hidden email]>.
        For more options, visit
        https://groups.google.com/__groups/opt_out
        <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.

    --     You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
    Group
s "amber-lang" group.
    send an email to amber-lang+unsubscribe@__googlegroups.com
    <mailto:[hidden email]>.
    <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.

Re: development in the IDE - save/recompile?

Nicolas Petton
When you press ctrl+space, a menu opens on the bottom of the page.
You can then press the associated shortcut to perform a command (or click on the link).

Nico