different description for "new" objects

Philippe Marschall
Hi

I'm in a situation where a need a different description for newly
created objects. The object itself doesn't know that it's newly
created, it just know because I just created it. Answering an object
and a description feels kinda kludgey so are there other options?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: different description for "new" objects

Randal L. Schwartz

Philippe> I'm in a situation where a need a different description for newly
Philippe> created objects. The object itself doesn't know that it's newly
Philippe> created, it just know because I just created it. Answering an object
Philippe> and a description feels kinda kludgey so are there other
Philippe> options?

What is newly created, and when does it stop being newly created?  Is it
something the object should know, or the thing that created it?

See http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/ for Smalltalk discussion

Re: different description for "new" objects

NorbertHartl

Am 03.05.2011 um 09:01 schrieb Philippe Marschall:

> Hi
>
> I'm in a situation where a need a different description for newly
> created objects. The object itself doesn't know that it's newly
> created, it just know because I just created it. Answering an object
> and a description feels kinda kludgey so are there other options?

If you don't create the objects through the usage of a description than you should be able to use the instance side description selector. As soon as you decided what is the difference between newly created and initialized (?) you can put the conditon in the instance side description selector.

Norbert

2011/5/3 Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]>:

> Philippe> I'm in a situation where a need a different description for newly
> Philippe> created objects. The object itself doesn't know that it's newly
> Philippe> created, it just know because I just created it. Answering an object
> Philippe> and a description feels kinda kludgey so are there other
> Philippe> options?
>
> What is newly created,

When it was created in this request (via a special service method)

> and when does it stop being newly created?

In the next request.

> Is it
> something the object should know, or the thing that created it?

I'd say rather the thing that created it. Whoever the thing that
created it should not have to know how it has to massage the
description of the object.

Cheers
Philippe