diffing running images between machines?

diffing running images between machines?

Bakki Kudva
Hi,

I have been developing on 3 machines and I shuttle the images back and
forth as follows.
<workstation(work)> - <laptop> -         <workstation (home)>
<Debian Sarge.......> - <macbookpro>-<Debian Sarge>

This works just fine and the copy just takes a few minutes. However I
was wondering if there was a way to sync up two running images via
rsync like mechanism from within Squeak, considering that squeak map
seems to do some diffing. That should be faster and more elegant.

cheers,
-bakki

Re: diffing running images between machines?

cedreek
Hi

2006/8/24, Bakki Kudva <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> I have been developing on 3 machines and I shuttle the images back and
> forth as follows.

I do that too but I try to avoid it ...  Even if it's handy, rather
than using the same image everywhere, it's better to publish your code
in monticello package for instance.

Monticello is nice for that because it allows to assemble in packages
your code (new classes and extension in existing ones provided they
are in a category prefixed by *name-xxxx. name here is the name of
your monticello package).

Once you have monticello packages (*.mcz) for your projects and
extensions, you can publish them on the net on squeaksource (or on
your own server if you have one)

Hope that helps

Cédrick

Re: diffing running images between machines?

Bakki Kudva
That's great! I will be doing that instead. Thanks for that pointer.

-bakki