discussion at yesterday's ed meeting

Kathleen Harness-2
Hi Avigail,
I found my way into the meeting, it was just Rita and me but we had a good conversation.

I have an idea for iPad Apps that could showcase several people's projects in individualized Apps so the iTunes store would have a series of Etoys for people to choose among. Free to download.

Perhaps the hard part of making Etoys for the iPad could be done once but that what was packaged could be changed pretty easily and the new Apps could go up over time as the projects were ready and a developer had time to swap things in and out.
Examples:
Etoys Points of View: Avigail's Simulations
Etoys Points of View: Rita's Projects for Illusions
Etoys Points of View: Steve's Mathematical Projects
Etoys Points of View: Kathleen's Games and Puzzles
etc Perhaps there are other people who would like to do something like this too.

I chose the phrase Points of View to reflect our history and connections to Viewpoints Research Institute.

The projects for each POV could be added to the Etoys Examples already available so the 26 that are there now would be the same for each App but the 25-50 new ones would be there too.

In this way we would be able to show how many ways there are to use Etoys but  the sets would be coherent according to the author's POV. My projects act and look quite different from the others, as do yours, Steve's, and Rita's.

Since I really don't know what is involved from a developer's point of view, I just offer this as something for discussion.
Kathleen

Re: discussion at yesterday's ed meeting

Karl Ramberg
Hi
I have tested Etoys on a touch display a little and have found it a little clumsy. Especially using only fingers, it is very hard to get anything done.
I have a pen I can use and that is much preferred.
They are pretty cheap and give much more precise pointing and interaction.

Most GUI interaction work, but is not very refined. Halos pop up on click and hold on my device.

Regular mouseOver events are not detected we have to decide how to deal with that.

Screen estate is a issue as always, and good solutions to that would be nice to find as well.

Karl