does anybody knows who is using StandardToolSet?

does anybody knows who is using StandardToolSet?

Stéphane Ducasse
Because it would be good that it uses a registration mechanism.
Hardcoding the classes of the tools is not optimal for example for the new Finder.

Re: does anybody knows who is using StandardToolSet?

Mariano Martinez Peck
yes, check the archives. I opened tickes for that. and I sent several mails. Seems no-one has time to do it.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Because it would be good that it uses a registration mechanism.
Hardcoding the classes of the tools is not optimal for example for the new Finder.

Re: does anybody knows who is using StandardToolSet?

Igor Stasenko
On 28 January 2011 19:20, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> yes, check the archives. I opened tickes for that. and I sent several mails.
> Seems no-one has time to do it.

we discussed that today.
probably i will take care about it for 1.3.. not sure how soon it will
be but i will :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: does anybody knows who is using StandardToolSet?

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I am not sure what is the current status in this area. Could anyone provide an idea of what is the desired solution?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

On 30 January 2011 20:30, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure what is the current status in this area. Could anyone provide an idea of what is the desired solution?

The idea is to get rid of ToolSet references and replace all patterns like

ToolSet default foo

with

Smalltalk tools foo

or even more extreme, leave only a message send and get rid of using
globals, because it is early binding:

self toolset  foo

where #toolset implemented in Object with
^ Smalltalt tools.

The answer of 'Smalltalk tools' should be a tool registry instance.

The tool registry is a system-wide object where packages can register
their tools.
I don't remember all of the details, but the idea, when i implemented
it was following:

 - you registering your tool(s) by sending:

Smalltalk tools addTool: myTool verb: #myTool

and then you can send messages to registry directly using #myTool selector:

Smalltalk tools myTool

So, there will be no hardcoded set of tools in a system and therefore
no need for having a class, like ToolSet,
which implements a protocol for 'standard' toolset.
I imagine in stripped down images, some tools can be non-existing, but
some still could be there.
Making tools pluggable will improve modularity.

Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: does anybody knows who is using StandardToolSet?

Tudor Girba
Thanks for the explanations, Igor.

I like the direction.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"What we can governs what we wish."

Re: does anybody knows who is using StandardToolSet?

> The answer of 'Smalltalk tools' should be a tool registry instance.
>
> The tool registry is a system-wide object where packages can register
> their tools.
> I don't remember all of the details, but the idea, when i implemented
> it was following:
>
> - you registering your tool(s) by sending:
>
> Smalltalk tools addTool: myTool verb: #myTool

would be good to have
        addTool: myTool named: #myTool kind: #codebrowser

so that we can avoid to have one subclass per kind.

On 31 January 2011 08:21, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> The answer of 'Smalltalk tools' should be a tool registry instance.
>>
>> The tool registry is a system-wide object where packages can register
>> their tools.
>> I don't remember all of the details, but the idea, when i implemented
>> it was following:
>>
>> - you registering your tool(s) by sending:
>>
>> Smalltalk tools addTool: myTool verb: #myTool
>
> would be good to have
>        addTool: myTool named: #myTool kind: #codebrowser
>
> so that we can avoid to have one subclass per kind.

can you elaborate a bit?

i mean why you need to have two different keys for one tool?

When you registering browser at #browser, then in this way everyone
refer to it using 'Smalltalk tools browser' ,
and of course they expecting that given tool supports certain browser
protocol, which means its already of kind of  'codebrowser'..

For cases, when you have multiple browsers installed and need to show
user a choice which one to use (like standard browser vs OB one)
this can be solved differently:

Smalltalk tools addEntry: #availableBrowsers value: WeakSet new.

Smalltalk tools availableBrowsers add: MyBrowserClass.
Smalltalk tools availableBrowsers add: MyOtherBrowserClass.

so, then you can enumerate available browsers by using:

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: does anybody knows who is using StandardToolSet?

Tudor Girba
I am not sure I understand.

As far as I understand, there would be a pool of different instance variables. So, why would there be any subclassing?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com