ecompletion - smart characters

jfabry
I am very annoyed.

Please turn this OFF by default. It is for me the most !@#$%^ way auto bracket typing is implemented. There is no obvious way to type a single ' or [ or ... I type it once, I get two. I delete one of them, the other also dissapears. Aaargh!

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

Tudor Girba
Delete the last one :)

Doru

On 10 May 2010, at 22:58, Johan Fabry wrote:

> I am very annoyed.
>
> Please turn this OFF by default. It is for me the most !@#$%^ way
> auto bracket typing is implemented. There is no obvious way to type
> a single ' or [ or ... I type it once, I get two. I delete one of
> them, the other also dissapears. Aaargh!
>
> --
> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

www.tudorgirba.com

"No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

Adrian Lienhard
Thanks for the report. Please open a ticket and describe what is wrong and how you would expect it to work:

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/entry

Patches are also welcome.

You can also disable the feature. Open a preference browser and search for "bracket".

Cheers,
Adrian

On May 10, 2010, at 22:58 , Johan Fabry wrote:

> I am very annoyed.
>
> Please turn this OFF by default. It is for me the most !@#$%^ way auto bracket typing is implemented. There is no obvious way to type a single ' or [ or ... I type it once, I get two. I delete one of them, the other also dissapears. Aaargh!
>
> --
> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

Tudor Girba
If I understood correctly it is about the matching of brackets and
quotes. In this regard, the completion behaves exactly like TextMate.

So, why is this a bug?

Doru

On 10 May 2010, at 23:26, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Thanks for the report. Please open a ticket and describe what is
> wrong and how you would expect it to work:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/entry
>
> Patches are also welcome.
>
> You can also disable the feature. Open a preference browser and
> search for "bracket".
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On May 10, 2010, at 22:58 , Johan Fabry wrote:
>
>> I am very annoyed.
>>
>> Please turn this OFF by default. It is for me the most !@#$%^ way
>> auto bracket typing is implemented. There is no obvious way to type
>> a single ' or [ or ... I type it once, I get two. I delete one of
>> them, the other also dissapears. Aaargh!
>>
>> --
>> Johan Fabry
>> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
>> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving should be concentrated on describing
the problem in a way that is relevant for the solution."

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

Ron Jeffries
Hello, Tudor.  On Monday, May 10, 2010, at 5:38:07 PM, you wrote:

> If I understood correctly it is about the matching of brackets and
> quotes. In this regard, the completion behaves exactly like TextMate.

> So, why is this a bug?

How do you manage to type a single quote in TextMate? Does that work
in Pharo?

I keep winding up with too many right parens. It is possible that I
am typing too many. My suspicion is that Pharo is providing too
many.

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com
www.xprogramming.com/blog
New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
them?"   -- H. G. Wells

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Ron Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, Tudor.  On Monday, May 10, 2010, at 5:38:07 PM, you wrote:

> If I understood correctly it is about the matching of brackets and
> quotes. In this regard, the completion behaves exactly like TextMate.

> So, why is this a bug?

How do you manage to type a single quote in TextMate? Does that work
in Pharo?

Good question. But I don't know. This "feature" is from the package Shout that is installed in Pharo dev images. If you take a PharoCore for example, it doesn't happen.

I keep winding up with too many right parens. It is possible that I
am typing too many. My suspicion is that Pharo is providing too
many.

This is how it works:

1) when you type the LEFT side of:  { , [  , ( , " , '     etc .... it will AUTOMATICALLY open the other pair. This is because this is usually the case: you open the left one, you will probably need to open the right one.

2) when you type the RIGHT side, it only writes the right side.

3) When you remove a left side of the two recently created ( like 1) ) , just after creating it, it removes both of them: left and right

Let me remark something. The style to work with this tool, is not to go to left, type, then go to right, and type. I mean, suppose I have  this

Transcript show: 5 timesRepeat: ['something']

and I need to have it like this:

Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])

the whay to work with Pharo is not:

Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something']

then

Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])

The idea is that you FIRST select the code you want, and then, you press the LEFT side of what you want. In that case, you select "5 timesRepeat: ['something']" and with that selected you press "(" . And the same with all those characters.

It is difficult to explain by chat hahahaha. I think they are very very useful, but you have to get use to. When I started with Pharo I was still a java developer..so I was the whole day with Eclipse and then at night with Pharo...and it was incredible how I was trying to work this way in Eclipse, in gmail, in TextEdit etc hahahahha

Cheers

Mariano

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com
www.xprogramming.com/blog
New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
them?"   -- H. G. Wells

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

Carla F. Griggio
It may feel annoying at first, but it gets really confortable in (little) time. Selecting text and "surround" it with a pair of brackets/quotes/etc. is just great. The feuture that is bothering you really helps to type quicker and cleaner once you get used to it.

Maybe... there could be some kind of shortcut to write just the opening bracket/quote/whatever without it's closing pair?

For example, if I press Shift+8 I get ().
But if I press Alt+Shift+8 I could get just (.

Do you think that could be more confortable to avoid deleting the closing character?

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Ron Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, Tudor.  On Monday, May 10, 2010, at 5:38:07 PM, you wrote:

> If I understood correctly it is about the matching of brackets and
> quotes. In this regard, the completion behaves exactly like TextMate.

> So, why is this a bug?

How do you manage to type a single quote in TextMate? Does that work
in Pharo?

Good question. But I don't know. This "feature" is from the package Shout that is installed in Pharo dev images. If you take a PharoCore for example, it doesn't happen.

I keep winding up with too many right parens. It is possible that I
am typing too many. My suspicion is that Pharo is providing too
many.

This is how it works:

1) when you type the LEFT side of:  { , [  , ( , " , '     etc .... it will AUTOMATICALLY open the other pair. This is because this is usually the case: you open the left one, you will probably need to open the right one.

2) when you type the RIGHT side, it only writes the right side.

3) When you remove a left side of the two recently created ( like 1) ) , just after creating it, it removes both of them: left and right

Let me remark something. The style to work with this tool, is not to go to left, type, then go to right, and type. I mean, suppose I have  this

Transcript show: 5 timesRepeat: ['something']

and I need to have it like this:

Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])

the whay to work with Pharo is not:

Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something']

then

Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])

The idea is that you FIRST select the code you want, and then, you press the LEFT side of what you want. In that case, you select "5 timesRepeat: ['something']" and with that selected you press "(" . And the same with all those characters.

It is difficult to explain by chat hahahaha. I think they are very very useful, but you have to get use to. When I started with Pharo I was still a java developer..so I was the whole day with Eclipse and then at night with Pharo...and it was incredible how I was trying to work this way in Eclipse, in gmail, in TextEdit etc hahahahha

Cheers

Mariano

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com
www.xprogramming.com/blog
New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
them?"   -- H. G. Wells

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

Tudor Girba
Hi,

How to type a single item:
- Type " => ""
- Press DEL => "

There is indeed an improvement that could be made. In TextMate once
you move the cursor, the deletion of a start character trigger no
longer deletes the other one. That could indeed be useful in Pharo as
well.

Cheers,
Doru

On 11 May 2010, at 00:33, Carla F. Griggio wrote:

> [...]
> press the LEFT side of what you want. In that case, you select "5
> timesRepeat: ['something']" and with that selected you press "(" .
> And the same with all those characters.
>
> It is difficult to explain by chat hahahaha. I think they are very
> very useful, but you have to get use to. When I started with Pharo I
> was still a java developer..so I was the whole day with Eclipse and
> then at night with Pharo...and it was incredible how I was trying to
> work this way in Eclipse, in gmail, in TextEdit etc hahahahha
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> Ron Jeffries
> www.XProgramming.com
> www.xprogramming.com/blog
> New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not
> belittled,
> the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in

www.tudorgirba.com

"Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that
happen. They both matter."

On 10 May 2010, at 18:36, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How to type a single item:
> - Type " => ""
> - Press DEL => "

Ah yes, something simple enough for me to get used to. I will try that and see how annoyed I get :-)

> There is indeed an improvement that could be made. In TextMate once you move the cursor, the deletion of a start character trigger no longer deletes the other one. That could indeed be useful in Pharo as well.

This is an excellent idea!

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

jfabry

It's not a bug, it's just that the default behavior annoys me in that it is difficult to write a single opening character, and sometimes when you want to delete one character it deletes 2 of them (especially annoying when you editing a String with quotes included).

I just would appreciate that the default behavior be something that does not surprise the user, i.e. turn it off (which is what I usually do on new images).

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

jfabry

Nice trick that, I see that it is very useful. But this is not made obvious to the user, so another 'surprising' behavior, i.e. not nice.

Another alternative: would it be possible to have an open workspace in the default image that documents these ecompletion behaviors (with the possibility to turn it off by a DoIt)?

On 10 May 2010, at 18:18, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> The idea is that you FIRST select the code you want, and then, you press the LEFT side of what you want. In that case, you select "5 timesRepeat: ['something']" and with that selected you press "(" . And the same with all those characters.

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

Daniel Birkinshaw
FWIW I hate this behaviour also. A number of IDEs do it too (Eclipse,
Netbeans). I always turn this behaviour off because it infuriates me.

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Daniel Birkinshaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW I hate this behaviour also. A number of IDEs do it too (Eclipse,
Netbeans). I always turn this behaviour off because it infuriates me.

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 07:04:25PM -0400, Johan Fabry wrote:

> It's not a bug, it's just that the default behavior annoys me in that it is difficult to write a single opening character, and sometimes when you want to delete one character it deletes 2 of them (especially annoying when you editing a String with quotes included).
>
> I just would appreciate that the default behavior be something that does not surprise the user, i.e. turn it off (which is what I usually do on new images).
>
> On 10 May 2010, at 17:26, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the report. Please open a ticket and describe what is wrong and how you would expect it to work:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/entry
> >
> > Patches are also welcome.
> >
> > You can also disable the feature. Open a preference browser and search for "bracket".
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Adrian
>
> --
> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

mariano

can you create a page on the book with that?

Stef

On May 11, 2010, at 12:18 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Ron Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello, Tudor.  On Monday, May 10, 2010, at 5:38:07 PM, you wrote:
>
> > If I understood correctly it is about the matching of brackets and
> > quotes. In this regard, the completion behaves exactly like TextMate.
>
> > So, why is this a bug?
>
> How do you manage to type a single quote in TextMate? Does that work
> in Pharo?
>

> Good question. But I don't know. This "feature" is from the package Shout that is installed in Pharo dev images. If you take a PharoCore for example, it doesn't happen.
>
> I keep winding up with too many right parens. It is possible that I
> am typing too many. My suspicion is that Pharo is providing too
> many.
>
> This is how it works:
>
> 1) when you type the LEFT side of:  { , [  , ( , " , '     etc .... it will AUTOMATICALLY open the other pair. This is because this is usually the case: you open the left one, you will probably need to open the right one.
>
> 2) when you type the RIGHT side, it only writes the right side.
>
> 3) When you remove a left side of the two recently created ( like 1) ) , just after creating it, it removes both of them: left and right
>

> Let me remark something. The style to work with this tool, is not to go to left, type, then go to right, and type. I mean, suppose I have  this
>
> Transcript show: 5 timesRepeat: ['something']
>
> and I need to have it like this:
>

> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])
>
> the whay to work with Pharo is not:
>
> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something']
>
> then
>
> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])
>
> The idea is that you FIRST select the code you want, and then, you press the LEFT side of what you want. In that case, you select "5 timesRepeat: ['something']" and with that selected you press "(" . And the same with all those characters.
>
> It is difficult to explain by chat hahahaha. I think they are very very useful, but you have to get use to. When I started with Pharo I was still a java developer..so I was the whole day with Eclipse and then at night with Pharo...and it was incredible how I was trying to work this way in Eclipse, in gmail, in TextEdit etc hahahahha
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> Ron Jeffries
> www.XProgramming.com
> www.xprogramming.com/blog
> New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
> the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
> them?"   -- H. G. Wells

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

Lukas Renggli
See http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2407.

Lukas

On 11 May 2010 10:39, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> mariano
>
> can you create a page on the book with that?
>
> Stef
>
> On May 11, 2010, at 12:18 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Ron Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello, Tudor.  On Monday, May 10, 2010, at 5:38:07 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> > If I understood correctly it is about the matching of brackets and
>> > quotes. In this regard, the completion behaves exactly like TextMate.
>>
>> > So, why is this a bug?
>>
>> How do you manage to type a single quote in TextMate? Does that work
>> in Pharo?
>>

>> Good question. But I don't know. This "feature" is from the package Shout that is installed in Pharo dev images. If you take a PharoCore for example, it doesn't happen.
>>
>> I keep winding up with too many right parens. It is possible that I
>> am typing too many. My suspicion is that Pharo is providing too
>> many.
>>
>> This is how it works:
>>
>> 1) when you type the LEFT side of:  { , [  , ( , " , '     etc .... it will AUTOMATICALLY open the other pair. This is because this is usually the case: you open the left one, you will probably need to open the right one.
>>
>> 2) when you type the RIGHT side, it only writes the right side.
>>
>> 3) When you remove a left side of the two recently created ( like 1) ) , just after creating it, it removes both of them: left and right
>>

>> Let me remark something. The style to work with this tool, is not to go to left, type, then go to right, and type. I mean, suppose I have  this
>>
>> Transcript show: 5 timesRepeat: ['something']
>>
>> and I need to have it like this:
>>

>> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])
>>
>> the whay to work with Pharo is not:
>>
>> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something']
>>
>> then
>>
>> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])
>>
>> The idea is that you FIRST select the code you want, and then, you press the LEFT side of what you want. In that case, you select "5 timesRepeat: ['something']" and with that selected you press "(" . And the same with all those characters.
>>
>> It is difficult to explain by chat hahahaha. I think they are very very useful, but you have to get use to. When I started with Pharo I was still a java developer..so I was the whole day with Eclipse and then at night with Pharo...and it was incredible how I was trying to work this way in Eclipse, in gmail, in TextEdit etc hahahahha
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>> Ron Jeffries
>> www.XProgramming.com
>> www.xprogramming.com/blog
>> New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
>> the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
>> them?"   -- H. G. Wells

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
See http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2407.

I thought it was Shout who did that...is ECompletion instead ?

Lukas

On 11 May 2010 10:39, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> mariano
>
> can you create a page on the book with that?
>
> Stef
>
> On May 11, 2010, at 12:18 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Ron Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello, Tudor.  On Monday, May 10, 2010, at 5:38:07 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> > If I understood correctly it is about the matching of brackets and
>> > quotes. In this regard, the completion behaves exactly like TextMate.
>>
>> > So, why is this a bug?
>>
>> How do you manage to type a single quote in TextMate? Does that work
>> in Pharo?
>>

>> Good question. But I don't know. This "feature" is from the package Shout that is installed in Pharo dev images. If you take a PharoCore for example, it doesn't happen.
>>
>> I keep winding up with too many right parens. It is possible that I
>> am typing too many. My suspicion is that Pharo is providing too
>> many.
>>
>> This is how it works:
>>
>> 1) when you type the LEFT side of:  { , [  , ( , " , '     etc .... it will AUTOMATICALLY open the other pair. This is because this is usually the case: you open the left one, you will probably need to open the right one.
>>
>> 2) when you type the RIGHT side, it only writes the right side.
>>
>> 3) When you remove a left side of the two recently created ( like 1) ) , just after creating it, it removes both of them: left and right
>>

>> Let me remark something. The style to work with this tool, is not to go to left, type, then go to right, and type. I mean, suppose I have  this
>>
>> Transcript show: 5 timesRepeat: ['something']
>>
>> and I need to have it like this:
>>

>> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])
>>
>> the whay to work with Pharo is not:
>>
>> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something']
>>
>> then
>>
>> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])
>>
>> The idea is that you FIRST select the code you want, and then, you press the LEFT side of what you want. In that case, you select "5 timesRepeat: ['something']" and with that selected you press "(" . And the same with all those characters.
>>
>> It is difficult to explain by chat hahahaha. I think they are very very useful, but you have to get use to. When I started with Pharo I was still a java developer..so I was the whole day with Eclipse and then at night with Pharo...and it was incredible how I was trying to work this way in Eclipse, in gmail, in TextEdit etc hahahahha
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>> Ron Jeffries
>> www.XProgramming.com
>> www.xprogramming.com/blog
>> New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
>> the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
>> them?"   -- H. G. Wells

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

Lukas Renggli
Yes, of course :-)

Lukas

On 11 May 2010 10:43, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> See http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2407.
>>

> I thought it was Shout who did that...is ECompletion instead ?
>

>> Lukas
>>
>> On 11 May 2010 10:39, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > mariano
>> >
>> > can you create a page on the book with that?
>> >
>> > Stef

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

I saw but I want that on http://book.pharo-project.org

On May 11, 2010, at 10:41 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> See http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2407.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 11 May 2010 10:39, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> mariano
>>
>> can you create a page on the book with that?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On May 11, 2010, at 12:18 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>>> How do you manage to type a single quote in TextMate? Does that work
>>> in Pharo?
>>>

>>> Good question. But I don't know. This "feature" is from the package Shout that is installed in Pharo dev images. If you take a PharoCore for example, it doesn't happen.
>>>
>>> I keep winding up with too many right parens. It is possible that I
>>> am typing too many. My suspicion is that Pharo is providing too
>>> many.
>>>
>>> This is how it works:
>>>
>>> 1) when you type the LEFT side of:  { , [  , ( , " , '     etc .... it will AUTOMATICALLY open the other pair. This is because this is usually the case: you open the left one, you will probably need to open the right one.
>>>
>>> 2) when you type the RIGHT side, it only writes the right side.
>>>
>>> 3) When you remove a left side of the two recently created ( like 1) ) , just after creating it, it removes both of them: left and right
>>>

>>> Let me remark something. The style to work with this tool, is not to go to left, type, then go to right, and type. I mean, suppose I have  this
>>>
>>> Transcript show: 5 timesRepeat: ['something']
>>>
>>> and I need to have it like this:
>>>

>>> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])
>>>
>>> the whay to work with Pharo is not:
>>>
>>> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something']
>>>
>>> then
>>>
>>> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])
>>>
>>> The idea is that you FIRST select the code you want, and then, you press the LEFT side of what you want. In that case, you select "5 timesRepeat: ['something']" and with that selected you press "(" . And the same with all those characters.
>>>
>>> It is difficult to explain by chat hahahaha. I think they are very very useful, but you have to get use to. When I started with Pharo I was still a java developer..so I was the whole day with Eclipse and then at night with Pharo...and it was incredible how I was trying to work this way in Eclipse, in gmail, in TextEdit etc hahahahha
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Mariano
>>>

>>> Ron Jeffries
>>> www.XProgramming.com
>>> www.xprogramming.com/blog
>>> New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
>>> the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
>>> them?"   -- H. G. Wells

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ecompletion - smart characters

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ok...I added this information to the book. Please look at:

http://book.pharo-project.org/book/CodeEditing/SmartCharactersAutocompletion

Cheers

Mariano

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I saw but I want that on http://book.pharo-project.org

On May 11, 2010, at 10:41 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> See http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2407.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 11 May 2010 10:39, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> mariano
>>
>> can you create a page on the book with that?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On May 11, 2010, at 12:18 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>>> How do you manage to type a single quote in TextMate? Does that work
>>> in Pharo?
>>>

>>> Good question. But I don't know. This "feature" is from the package Shout that is installed in Pharo dev images. If you take a PharoCore for example, it doesn't happen.
>>>
>>> I keep winding up with too many right parens. It is possible that I
>>> am typing too many. My suspicion is that Pharo is providing too
>>> many.
>>>
>>> This is how it works:
>>>
>>> 1) when you type the LEFT side of:  { , [  , ( , " , '     etc .... it will AUTOMATICALLY open the other pair. This is because this is usually the case: you open the left one, you will probably need to open the right one.
>>>
>>> 2) when you type the RIGHT side, it only writes the right side.
>>>
>>> 3) When you remove a left side of the two recently created ( like 1) ) , just after creating it, it removes both of them: left and right
>>>

>>> Let me remark something. The style to work with this tool, is not to go to left, type, then go to right, and type. I mean, suppose I have  this
>>>
>>> Transcript show: 5 timesRepeat: ['something']
>>>
>>> and I need to have it like this:
>>>

>>> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])
>>>
>>> the whay to work with Pharo is not:
>>>
>>> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something']
>>>
>>> then
>>>
>>> Transcript show: (5 timesRepeat: ['something'])
>>>
>>> The idea is that you FIRST select the code you want, and then, you press the LEFT side of what you want. In that case, you select "5 timesRepeat: ['something']" and with that selected you press "(" . And the same with all those characters.
>>>
>>> It is difficult to explain by chat hahahaha. I think they are very very useful, but you have to get use to. When I started with Pharo I was still a java developer..so I was the whole day with Eclipse and then at night with Pharo...and it was incredible how I was trying to work this way in Eclipse, in gmail, in TextEdit etc hahahahha
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Mariano
>>>

>>> Ron Jeffries
>>> www.XProgramming.com
>>> www.xprogramming.com/blog
>>> New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
>>> the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
>>> them?"   -- H. G. Wells

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: ecompletion - smart characters