emadmin copy when destination path contains a space

emadmin copy when destination path contains a space

Richard Sargent
Administrator
I have a batch file I am trying to write which takes a copy of my repositories using emadmin copy. The destination path contains a space and I am striking out on how to make it work.

set BASE=C:\Users\rsargent\Documents\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\
set BACKUPS=%BASE%TestBackup\

for %%R in (*.dat) do emadmin copy -p whatever -o "%%R" "%BACKUPS%%%R.backup"

I have tried variations such as trying to escape the space using ^, doubling the quotes around the destination path expression, and some other less sensible things.

I get the following:

Code page (ANSI): 1252
Connected to source server
Connected to destination server
Copying localhost:autotester.dat => localhost:C:\Users\rsargent\Documents\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\TestBackup\autotester.dat.backup
Destination path invalid or inaccessible.

(I get the same thing when I try it from the command line rather than from the batch file.
e.g.
emadmin copy -p whatever "autotester.dat" "C:\Users\rsargent\Documents\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\TestBackup\autotester.dat.backup"
)

Does anyone know how to make this work?

Re: emadmin copy when destination path contains a space

Seth Berman
Hi Richard,

Seems to work for me...of course I'm using a version that will be released with 9.2.2, so I guess I need to know what version and bitness you are working with so I can try it.

- Seth

emsrv.png (46K) Download Attachment

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 12:02:38 PM UTC-7, Seth Berman wrote:
Hi Richard,

Seems to work for me...of course I'm using a version that will be released with 9.2.2, so I guess I need to know what version and bitness you are working with so I can try it.

Good point. I was originally using an 8.6 version (I don't know which one, nor care). I then tried it with the 9.2x86 version of emadmin. In both cases, the emsrv version was 9.2x86.

And, I double checked that C:\Users\rsargent\Documents\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\TestBackup\ does exist.

[...]

I just tried the one from 9.2x86 and 9.0x86 and I got the same results...seems to work.
Can you try add putting emsrv into debug logging mode  (-s3 which is currently undocumented...it generates a ton of output..so be careful to remove it later).
Then try the emadmin copy again.  It seems like the "open()" command on the emsrv server side is generating an error.  would be nice to know what the return code is.

emsrv_diagnostics.log (11K) Download Attachment

Re: emadmin copy when destination path contains a space

Seth Berman
Hi Richard,

"13:08:36 on 05/20/20 DEBUG basicCreate Create error, errno = 13."

- Does the account running the emsrv process have permissions to write to that directory?

- Seth

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 1:22:32 PM UTC-7, Seth Berman wrote:
Hi Richard,

"13:08:36 on 05/20/20 DEBUG basicCreate Create error, errno = 13."

- Does the account running the emsrv process have permissions to write to that directory?

That's a little hard to figure out. The service is configured to login as Local System. System has full access, but are the two the same or different?

I found the solution. It was using a user I set up as ENVYManager. And the new folder didn't have access specifically for that user.

Thanks!

[...]

Yes, that's what I was guessing.  In my case, my emsrv service happens to be run under my own user...which of course has access to write to my own Documents folder.

- Seth

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 4:35:48 PM UTC-4, Richard Sargent wrote:
[...]

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 1:38 PM 'Seth Berman' via VA Smalltalk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Richard,

"I found the solution. It was using a user I set up as ENVYManager. And the new folder didn't have access specifically for that user."

Yes, that's what I was guessing.  In my case, my emsrv service happens to be run under my own user...which of course has access to write to my own Documents folder.

One could wish for better error messages. :-)

[...]

Yes, agreed.  In this case it would require to re-engineer the emsrv functions a bit so it passes appropriate information back to the emadmin client.
Other than that...*most* problems are solved by putting emsrv into -s2 or -s3 mode and following the logic trail.

- Seth

To view this discussion on the web visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/2d074d44-7758-4a5e-b72a-aaeb04a0974c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/2d074d44-7758-4a5e-b72a-aaeb04a0974c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/2d074d44-7758-4a5e-b72a-aaeb04a0974c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium\x3demail\x26utm_source\x3dfooter&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/va-smalltalk/2d074d44-7758-4a5e-b72a-aaeb04a0974c%40googlegroups.com.