encoding problems and vm crashing

Ramon Leon-4
Hi, so I was playing around with the wiki a bit, started to paste in
some text from another web page, which contained the following...

  “Head Start”

When I save it, the squeak VM blow chunks and dies, I think on the
illegal characters.  I'm not sure how to tackle this, I'm assuming it's
really a seaside problem accepting the form upload without properly
forcing some encoding on it or something.  Anyone have any ideas here,
someone's had to ran into this already, pasting text into Pier being
fatal.  Suggestions?

Re: encoding problems and vm crashing

Lukas Renggli-2
>   “Head Start”
>
> When I save it, the squeak VM blow chunks and dies, I think on the
> illegal characters.  I'm not sure how to tackle this, I'm assuming
> it's
> really a seaside problem accepting the form upload without properly
> forcing some encoding on it or something.  Anyone have any ideas here,
> someone's had to ran into this already, pasting text into Pier being
> fatal.  Suggestions?

Mhh, it works in my 3.8 image and vm. Can you reproduce this with a
simpler application? Maybe even without the web? Do you get a stack-
trace in the console?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: encoding problems and vm crashing

Ramon Leon

> >   "Head Start"
> >
> > When I save it, the squeak VM blow chunks and dies, I think on the
> > illegal characters.  I'm not sure how to tackle this, I'm assuming
> > it's really a seaside problem accepting the form upload without
> > properly forcing some encoding on it or something.  Anyone have any
> > ideas here, someone's had to ran into this already, pasting
> text into
> > Pier being fatal.  Suggestions?
>
> Mhh, it works in my 3.8 image and vm. Can you reproduce this
> with a simpler application? Maybe even without the web? Do
> you get a stack- trace in the console?
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

Hmm.. I don't have it handy at the moment, but I do recall seeing
something in the stack trace about fonts, I have Win32 fonts installed,
let me try it tonight when I get home on a clean VM and see.  BTW, can
you review my notes on the latest Pier check in, I was working on
PRFilePersistency and could use a little input.

Lukas Renggli wrote:

>>  “Head Start”
>>
>>When I save it, the squeak VM blow chunks and dies, I think on the
>>illegal characters.  I'm not sure how to tackle this, I'm assuming
>>it's
>>really a seaside problem accepting the form upload without properly
>>forcing some encoding on it or something.  Anyone have any ideas here,
>>someone's had to ran into this already, pasting text into Pier being
>>fatal.  Suggestions?
>

> Mhh, it works in my 3.8 image and vm. Can you reproduce this with a
> simpler application? Maybe even without the web? Do you get a stack-
> trace in the console?
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

Found it... I'd forgotten that I had used some sample code you threw up
for compressing the response to the clients.

convertResponse: aResponse
        | response gzip stream |
        response := super convertResponse: aResponse.
        response fieldAt: 'Content-Encoding' put: 'gzip'.
        gzip := GZipWriteStream on: (stream := RWBinaryOrTextStream on: '').
        gzip
                nextPutAll: aResponse contents contents;
                close.
        ^response contents: stream reset

Pier works great without that, guess it has some issues with some
characters or something.