error after crash

GLASS mailing list
Hi!

We try to reboot a glass server after crash and the console show the follow message:

 The stone was unable to start a cache page server on host '<stone's host>'.
Reason:  The cache monitor connect failed.
  Monitor process (1758) did not start.

any ideas??

Thnks in advance,
Leo

gs64stone.log (634K) Download Attachment

Re: error after crash

GLASS mailing list
Hi Leo,

I see that you are running an old version of GemStone (2.4.4.1) is there a reason that you aren't using one of the later versions of GemStone?

I think we need to see the cache monitor log file (<stone-name><pid>pcmon.log and the error in the stone log indicates that the pid was 1758 ...

Dale

On 06/06/2016 12:43 PM, Leonardo Andres De Marco via Glass wrote:
Hi!

We try to reboot a glass server after crash and the console show the follow message:

 The stone was unable to start a cache page server on host '<stone's host>'.
Reason:  The cache monitor connect failed.
  Monitor process (1758) did not start.

any ideas??

Thnks in advance,
Leo

Re: error after crash

GLASS mailing list
Hi Dale!

We are going to try an upgrade after this... What is your recomendation for an upgrade, we want to perforrm a clean installation.

Anyway I send you the log file

thnks!!
Leo

Hi Leo,

I see that you are running an old version of GemStone (2.4.4.1) is there a reason that you aren't using one of the later versions of GemStone?

I think we need to see the cache monitor log file (<stone-name><pid>pcmon.log and the error in the stone log indicates that the pid was 1758 ...

Dale

On 06/06/2016 12:43 PM, Leonardo Andres De Marco via Glass wrote:
Hi!

We try to reboot a glass server after crash and the console show the follow message:

 The stone was unable to start a cache page server on host '<stone's host>'.
Reason:  The cache monitor connect failed.
  Monitor process (1758) did not start.

any ideas??

Thnks in advance,
Leo

seaside_1657pcmon.log (5K) Download Attachment

Re: error after crash

GLASS mailing list
The log looks pretty self-described to me:

Warning: removed old shared memory with id=0!
|   GemStone could not retrieve the IPC identifier associated with the memory |
|   key 1275137037.  shmget() error = errno=28,ENOSPC, There is no space left |
| on the device (or, in fcntl(), there are no more record locks).             |
|                                                                             |
  GemStone could not retrieve the IPC identifier associated with the memory
  key 1275137037.  shmget() error = errno=2,ENOENT, The file or directory specified cannot be found.
  GemStone could not attach to the shared page cache.

Did you check disk free space?

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Leonardo Andres De Marco via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Leonardo and Mariano,

Use `ipcs -a` .. there is likely one or more shared memory segments on your system ... it's also worth checking the process list for additional hung process (perhaps a gem or topaz process?) as the shared memory segments stay alive until the last process detaches from the SPC ..

Dale

On 06/08/2016 05:38 AM, Leonardo Andres De Marco via Glass wrote:
> Hi Dale!
>
> We are going to try an upgrade after this... What is your
> recomendation for an upgrade, we want to perforrm a clean installation.

My recommendation is that you look into using GsDevKit_home[1]. With
GsDevKit_home, there is a $GS_HOME/bin/upgradeStone script that pretty
much automates the upgrade process and I've got an update to
GsDevKit_home in the pipeline which will include a bit more
documentation on the upgrade process.

What type of GemStone application are you using, GLASS, Seaside,
something else? Are you using GemTools for development?

It is possible to use GsDevKit_home to upgrade a GLASS environment for
2.4.4.1 to a more recent version of GemStone ... If you are interested
I can help you with the process ... at the moment I would recommend that
you plan to upgrade to 3.3.0. If you were using GemStone 3.2.x I would
recommend that you wait until 3.3.1, since the upgrade path to 3.3.1
from 3.2.x is much simpler than an upgrade to 3.3.0 from 3.2.x...

To properly perform an upgrade from 2.4.x to 3.2.x or 3.3.x, you will
want to first port your code base to the target version and make sure
that all of your tests pass ... then you will need to update your
configuration/baseline to include the new code for 3.x ... then you are
ready to go through the ugpgrade process.

With GsDevKit_home you will start using tODE[2] as your development
environment and it is probably worth taking a look at some of the slides
and presentation videos that I've made over the last few years[3] to get
a flavor of tODE.

Dale

[1]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home#open-source-development-kit-for-gemstones-64-bit-
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode
[3]
https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode/blob/master/docs/videos/videoHistory.md#tode-a-new-development-environment-for-glass---stic-2013

Re: error after crash

GLASS mailing list
Hi Dale, Mariano

Thnks to the emails, we found that the share memory problem. We reboot the server fix that.

After that, still get errors when gemstone started, so, we read the log file and delete the .lock files and then gemstone started ok.

Thnks!!!!

Leo